Chris Cornell dead

Song writing ability? Okay...

And that's just scratching the surface...
Yes... You are seeing that correctly... He headlines two major bands each with Grammy winning songs written by Corey Taylor.

Taylor is great, I wouldnt take away from either of the two musician's abilities. I guess people can just have their biases in what kind of music is more inspiring. I do think though that Cornell played a larger part in transforming the early 90s music scene. I'd say the last song I posted easily rivals this song here in songwriting but then why should it really be a contest? Personally there was just something in Chris Cornell's voice that i really liked, that he was tapping into something.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not dogging Cornell. I'm just saying his time was brief. Taylor continues to grow and stay relevant. It sucks that Chris killed himself, but his real career as a shaper of the music scene ended over a decade ago.

Chris Cornell's time was brief? He's been selling out stadiums for nearly 30 years. He's had a gazillion songs that topped the charts, won grammys, nominated a bunch of times, all his bands are massive successes and he has 100 times more fans than Corey.

Corey Taylor is great, but he will never be as beloved or as succesful as Chris Cornell. They arent anywhere close to being in the same league

Yes... You are seeing that correctly... He headlines two major bands each with Grammy winning songs written by Corey Taylor.

Taylor is great, I wouldnt take away from either of the two musician's abilities. I guess people can just have their biases in what kind of music is more inspiring. I do think though that Cornell played a larger part in transforming the early 90s music scene. I'd say the last song I posted easily rivals this song here in songwriting but then why should it really be a contest? Personally there was just something in Chris Cornell's voice that i really liked, that he was tapping into something.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not dogging Cornell. I'm just saying his time was brief. Taylor continues to grow and stay relevant. It sucks that Chris killed himself, but his real career as a shaper of the music scene ended over a decade ago.

Chris Cornell's time was brief? He's been selling out stadiums for nearly 30 years. He's had a gazillion songs that topped the charts, won grammys, nominated a bunch of times, all his bands are massive successes and he has 100 times more fans than Corey.

Corey Taylor is great, but he will never be as beloved or as succesful as Chris Cornell. They arent anywhere close to being in the same league

I think you over estimate his success. He was no doubt popular, but yes "brief". As in his musical successes were confined to a narrow window of time. It isn't like he continued to put out hits till the day he died.

Have to say that I don't really enjoy Slip Knot's music, not nearly as much as Chris Cornell's music.

I think you over estimate his success. He was no doubt popular, but yes "brief". As in his musical successes were confined to a narrow window of time. It isn't like he continued to put out hits till the day he died.

So? Why would you have to even say something like this? Its fine if you don't think he was that great. I don't think he was the "greatest" musician who ever lived either. He was a talented guy whose music a lot of us grew up listening to.

Just be thankful that it was Chris Cornell, and not Corey Taylor. That would've been a national tragedy.

And I think this is the problem here. Why do you have to come off and say we should be thankful it was Chris Cornell? one singer has nothing to do with the other. Maybe this was a misspeak on your part, at least thats what I'm hoping. I know its easy at times to say things on message boards that come off as insensitive.
No, we don't need to be thankful it was Chris Cornell.

Just be thankful that it was Chris Cornell, and not Corey Taylor. That would've been a national tragedy.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. It fucking better be.
No. It wasn't sarcasm. Corey Taylor is a far more gifted musician, and he too battled depression, and nearly commited suicide. Thankfully he pulled out of it.

Surprise surprise, a conservatard is a fan of a bunch of demented gimps who play music for faggots. Putting Corey Taylor in the same category as Chris Cornell is insulting to Chris and to music in general.

Politics really don't have anything to do with this however.

Corey Taylor > Chris Cornell? Chris Cornell's career ended over a decade ago? What are you smoking? Corey Taylor is NOWHERE near the level that Chris Cornell was at (and I actually like most of Slipknot's work)...but damn give me a break dude.

Also, success in album sales =/= better. David Bowie had ONE album go #1. The Who had 0. If you're going to tell me that Corey Taylor > Bowie, or The Who...I'm going to call bullshit.

You mentioned Corey's success in two bands?

Cornell has gone top 10 with FOUR different bands (Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, Solo)
Corey has with two bands.

Their heights in popularity? Cornell has gone #1 with two bands...Corey has with one.

Also, you cited Grammys...Cornell has more Grammys than Corey. Fact.

In terms of song writing Cornell has more styles (all of his bands are vastly different from each other, and his solo stuff is different-Scream for example-which I'm not a huge fan of mind you...Corey has 2 styles. That's it, and they're both "I'm really angry and pissed off", and "I'm really depressed and pissed off".

Corey himself wouldn't agree with your argument.

Last edited:
"the memories from that week came flooding back to me now, good times, watching from the side of the stage as Chris sang his heart out into the setting sun, sitting on Sydney's beach at night, sharing jokes against the shore, shooting the shit about motorcycles. he was also grateful that his music touched so many on a deeply personal level

his contribution was having intelligence, whilst still creating this raw, primal music.

he had this feral power that you associate with Zeppelin, that kind of swagger

he said himself he didn't know what Black Hole Sun was about, but sometimes your subconscious mind can uncover things that you don't expect" - Alice In Chains frontman William DuVall

Chris even appeared in the movie Singles, and could have become a movie star if he didn't dislike it so much.

I heard one of his songs yesterday, and I thought, no more music from him. How sad. Money and fame cannot bring happiness, obviously.

Forum List

Back