First-ever heart transplant from gene-edited pig offers hope for thousands in need of organs

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
It will be interesting to follow this case.

A Maryland man has lived for three days with a pig heart beating inside his chest.

The surgery, at the University of Maryland Medical Center, marks the first time a gene-edited pig has been used as an organ donor.

Dave Bennett, 57, agreed to be the first to risk the experimental surgery, hoping it would give him a shot at making it home to his Maryland duplex and his beloved dog, Lucky.

“This is nothing short of a miracle,” his son David said Sunday, two days after his father's life-extending surgery. “That’s what my dad needed, and that’s what I feel like he got.”

Bartley Griffith, left, was the lead surgeon for Dave Bennett, who received a pig heart.

In the nine-hour surgery, doctors replaced his heart with one from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig gene-edited and bred specifically for this purpose.

A Maryland man has lived for three days with a pig heart beating inside his chest.
The surgery, at the University of Maryland Medical Center, marks the first time a gene-edited pig has been used as an organ donor.
Dave Bennett, 57, agreed to be the first to risk the experimental surgery, hoping it would give him a shot at making it home to his Maryland duplex and his beloved dog, Lucky.
“This is nothing short of a miracle,” his son David said Sunday, two days after his father's life-extending surgery. “That’s what my dad needed, and that’s what I feel like he got.”
Bartley Griffith, left, was the lead surgeon for Dave Bennett, who received a pig heart.
In the nine-hour surgery, doctors replaced his heart with one from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig gene-edited and bred specifically for this purpose.

Hey, if the only side affects are growing a snout, ears, curly tail and developing a "healthy" appetite I say go for it!!!

Just kidding....... :)

Amazing how science is progressing. The one thing I see is PETA is going to go absolutely apeshit over this.

Forum List

Back