How SMART is your region?

I-480 was part of an effort to connect the 101 via freeway from it's Bayshore section to the GG Bridge and counties to the north. It was a bad idea and an expensive one, which made it both a political and fiscal impossibility.

Doyle Drive, coming from the GG Bridge into the Marina is currently under major construction and will be safer, but it will still dump cars onto Van Ness Ave who want to continue south to Silicon Valley, San Jose and SoCAL; where it splits onto Park Presidio and then 19th Ave, for those wanting to go to SFSU or connect to 280 will remain a problem for a long long time.

Your point was irrelevant to the discussion and thus dishonest; supported by a very weak personal attack verifies what I already knew about you. Why not try to be honest?

You stated less freeways exist today than did 26 years ago - that's a lie.

No, my point was, and is, very relevant to the discussion. The city fathers had a blank slate to start with and they dithered and hymmed and hawed and still, 26 YEARS after the earthquake, the Bay area has fewer freeways than prior to the event.

Those are called facts. Your opinion about whether the I-480 was a worthwhile project is cute, but at the time, prior to the quake, it was a needed and funded project. Then the quake occurred and all bets were off.
Funny, I don't live in the area and I seem to know more than you do about the freeway systems, how is that possible?

You believe you know, I know you're full of shit.

Freeway numbers are kinda new, when I first drove we referred to the highways by names - the Nimitiz, the Bayshore, The Coast, The Redwoods, the Great Highway, the Skyline and the Cyprus which collapsed in the '89 Quake.

Since the collapse of the Cypress, overpasses and bridges have been retrofitted (or replaced as was the eastern span of the Bay Bridge) all around the bay area. Something you fail to mention.

The Embarcadero Freeway was both an eyesore and a source of high traffic dumped onto surface streets, as well gridlock on service streets trying to get to the EF on ramp.

Yes, that is immaterial to my statement. Bridges that were destroyed were replaced, however as I said before there are fewer freeways now, than existed 26 years ago. No amount of wriggling can separate you from the ignorance you displayed by saying that was an untrue statement. It doesn't matter if the Embarcadero was an eyesore or not. IT MOVED TRAFFIC EFFICIENTLY! Something that the boulevard that replaced it does not.

You can call me names all you wish but the facts remain I know more about the freeway system there than you do. Funny how you call it the Nimitz, and not the Nitwitz like native Bay Area folks do. Where did you move to the Bay Area from?

You're a liar.

Show where I've lied then.

I-480 was part of an effort to connect the 101 via freeway from it's Bayshore section to the GG Bridge and counties to the north. It was a bad idea and an expensive one, which made it both a political and fiscal impossibility.

Doyle Drive, coming from the GG Bridge into the Marina is currently under major construction and will be safer, but it will still dump cars onto Van Ness Ave who want to continue south to Silicon Valley, San Jose and SoCAL; where it splits onto Park Presidio and then 19th Ave, for those wanting to go to SFSU or connect to 280 will remain a problem for a long long time.

Your point was irrelevant to the discussion and thus dishonest; supported by a very weak personal attack verifies what I already knew about you. Why not try to be honest?

No, my point was, and is, very relevant to the discussion. The city fathers had a blank slate to start with and they dithered and hymmed and hawed and still, 26 YEARS after the earthquake, the Bay area has fewer freeways than prior to the event.

Those are called facts. Your opinion about whether the I-480 was a worthwhile project is cute, but at the time, prior to the quake, it was a needed and funded project. Then the quake occurred and all bets were off.
Funny, I don't live in the area and I seem to know more than you do about the freeway systems, how is that possible?

Freeway numbers are kinda new, when I first drove we referred to the highways by names - the Nimitiz, the Bayshore, The Coast, The Redwoods, the Great Highway, the Skyline and the Cyprus which collapsed in the '89 Quake.

Since the collapse of the Cypress, overpasses and bridges have been retrofitted (or replaced as was the eastern span of the Bay Bridge) all around the bay area. Something you fail to mention.

The Embarcadero Freeway was both an eyesore and a source of high traffic dumped onto surface streets, as well gridlock on service streets trying to get to the EF on ramp.

Yes, that is immaterial to my statement. Bridges that were destroyed were replaced, however as I said before there are fewer freeways now, than existed 26 years ago. No amount of wriggling can separate you from the ignorance you displayed by saying that was an untrue statement. It doesn't matter if the Embarcadero was an eyesore or not. IT MOVED TRAFFIC EFFICIENTLY! Something that the boulevard that replaced it does not.

You can call me names all you wish but the facts remain I know more about the freeway system there than you do. Funny how you call it the Nimitz, and not the Nitwitz like native Bay Area folks do. Where did you move to the Bay Area from?

Other than the EF, which was less than thee miles long, what freeways existed 26 years ago that are no longer in existence? I was born, raised and attended K - 12 in San Francisco. Went to CAL and returned to The City for graduate school. I still live in the Bay Area and still drive on the same freeways I did when I was 16.

I said, that the powers that be had not rebuilt back to the level that existed before the quake. How stupid are you? I mean you were able to pass a government employee test so you can't be entirely stupid but the Embarcadero Freeway is GONE. Replaced by a boulevard, you know the kind that has stop lights.

The Cypress structure was not rebuilt so the 880 has half the capacity it once had. Of course the I-480 is no longer needed because the freeway it was supposed to feed into was removed. Is this so hard for your tiny little head to wrap around? These are called FACTS. Instead of calling people names how about addressing the FACTS they present.

So, once again, where did you move to the Bay Area from?

The cypress has been rebuilt. Name others.

A large double-decker section in Oakland, known as the Cypress Street Viaduct, collapsed during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, causing 42 deaths; initial estimates were significantly higher, but because many commuters on both sides of the bay had left early or stayed late to watch Game 3 of the San Francisco-Oakland World Series, the freeway was far less crowded than normal at the time of the quake.[23] This was the greatest loss of life caused by thatearthquake. Rebuilding the affected section of the freeway took nearly a decade, due to environmental impact concerns, the feeling that the freeway divided the neighborhood, designconsiderations and most importantly a huge outcry from the West Oakland community demanding that the freeway find a new route - not in West Oakland. The protest was successful. The freeway reopened in July 1997 on a new route parallel to railroad tracks around the outskirts of West Oakland with the entire project being completed shortly before 2000.

Although only about three miles (5 km) in length, the replacement freeway cost over $1.2 billion, for several reasons: it crossed over andunder the elevated BART line to San Francisco; it squeezed between a post office, the West Oakland BART station, the Port of Oakland, a rail yard, and a sewage treatment plant; it occupied an entirely new right-of-way, which required the acquisition of large amounts of valuable industrial real estate near the Port of Oakland; and of course, it had to be earthquake-proof.

The former path of the structure, Cypress Street, was renamed Mandela Parkway, and the median where the freeway stood became a landscaped linear park.[24]

Other than the EF, which was less than thee miles long, what freeways existed 26 years ago that are no longer in existence? I was born, raised and attended K - 12 in San Francisco. Went to CAL and returned to The City for graduate school. I still live in the Bay Area and still drive on the same freeways I did when I was 16.

I said, that the powers that be had not rebuilt back to the level that existed before the quake. How stupid are you? I mean you were able to pass a government employee test so you can't be entirely stupid but the Embarcadero Freeway is GONE. Replaced by a boulevard, you know the kind that has stop lights.

The Cypress structure was not rebuilt so the 880 has half the capacity it once had. Of course the I-480 is no longer needed because the freeway it was supposed to feed into was removed. Is this so hard for your tiny little head to wrap around? These are called FACTS. Instead of calling people names how about addressing the FACTS they present.

Not as a double deck freeway it hasn't.

Only a fool would rebuild a double deck freeway that had collapsed. Given that the '89 quake was centered in Santa Cruz (Surf City) on the San Andres Fault, and the original Cypress was build near a fault as dangerous, maybe more so, the Hayward Fault, it was replaced by a new highway as explained in the link above.

I don't believe you are stupid, worse are those who are willfully ignorant (WI), something you've proved to be. The WI refuse to acknowledge they are ever wrong, and when their beliefs are challenged they default to emotions and name calling, And no, describing you as WI is based on your stubborn insistence on being correct, when the facts are given that you are dead wrong.,

A new rail system is to open next year, making the commute from northern counties into San Francisco and even (silicon valley) faster, safer, cheaper and cleaner for the environment.

See the future, and are your community leaders looking ahead, or protecting the status quo?

Smart Train North Bay Sonoma Marin SMART Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit Passenger train and multi-use pathway project

Don't think the US is a big public transport country. Even where such options are available people still prefer to drive.

A new rail system is to open next year, making the commute from northern counties into San Francisco and even (silicon valley) faster, safer, cheaper and cleaner for the environment.

See the future, and are your community leaders looking ahead, or protecting the status quo?

Smart Train North Bay Sonoma Marin SMART Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit Passenger train and multi-use pathway project

Don't think the US is a big public transport country. Even where such options are available people still prefer to drive.
Its a shame. I didnt realize how great such a system could be until I visited Europe and Japan.

Its a shame. I didnt realize how great such a system could be until I visited Europe and Japan.

Completely different cultures. Japan's all about the teamwork and personal sacrifice. Here it's screw the team I want my drivetime radio. :)

Wonder if they fixed this.....

Many years ago when BART and Washington's Metro were both quite new the fares were much different. BART much more expensive to use than Metro (seems Metro was heavily government subsidized...well, more heavily than BART).

Didn't take long before folks near 'Frisco were mailing their BART cards to friends in DC to have them "recharged" 'cause the computerized fare systems used the same cards but usage was based on distances rather than on money credited to them.

You could travel like twice as much on BART than you paid to Metro for the same amount of money but BART never saw a dime of it.

I gotta believe that's been fixed but I am now at a place in life where I can avoid both 'Frisco and DC so don't know through recent experience.

Anyone tried it?

Ohhh, the bullet train to nowhere..

Biggest fucking boondoggle in ages.

Just think, when completed - in 2419 - you'll be able to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in only 5 hours for the low low cost of $600. (Southwest takes 42 minutes for the flight and is $79)

democrats, offering the 'smart' solution again...

You'll be waiting awhile. Mass transit is a long term investment.

You're mixing apples and turds again, kind of like you do when you're playing with your feces and eating beans.

The bullet train to nowhere isn't a mass transit system, it is a long range transit system that is utterly stupid. Slower and FAR more expensive than air travel. The only purpose is to embezzle billions of tax payer dollars. This is corruption at it's worst.

Have you ever been on public transportation (PT) during commute times? I've been on packed PT even in midday in NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Wash. DC, and in San Francisco.

When parking is non existent, or very costly, if they build it people will ride it. Modern rail cars are the future and SMART isn't the first or only system in the works today. BART is expanding further East and South (do you know the Key System was a private transportation system in the Bay Area until 1960? See the link below to see how the fuel, tire and battery industries took control of the system and made it less 'comfortable for its riders)

I've also been on clean, modern and efficient trains in Italy, France and Spain. PT transportation is an effective, efficient, comfortable and practical means of travel. However it threatens the automobile industry:

Key System - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

You're mixing apples and turds again, kind of like you do when you're playing with your feces and eating beans.

The bullet train to nowhere isn't a mass transit system, it is a long range transit system that is utterly stupid. Slower and FAR more expensive than air travel. The only purpose is to embezzle billions of tax payer dollars. This is corruption at it's worst.
Mass transit is simply public transportation. From what I know of the bullet train its not going to be private. Yes it will be slower. Some people are not in a rush. It will be more expensive. Some people can afford it. The point is that not everyone flies or drives and will be happy to pay the higher price. Over time the price may go down the more ridership it attracts especially since the trains will have Wifi so people can work if they chose to. If you stopped eating your bananas in the monkey enclosure you wouldnt have such a hard time understanding this.

See corruption here: Key System - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The air corridor between LA and San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland is crowded, and getting into LA, SF, SJ or OAK means the traveler must find other means of transport - sometimes several, requiring transfers before reaching their destination.

The bullet train will create jobs, and development along the corridor and will allow business and government officials to travel with the convenience of WiFi and comfort to and from their home offices where they can meet with colleagues and associates along its route coming from the other direction.

Business centers and hotels will be built along the route which will grow well into the next century, and feeder trains, light rail and buses will spider web off of the main lines, creating more jobs.

Too bad some people are myopic and others are blind to the future. Why do conservatives seem to lack imagination and remain stuck in the past? Is it in their DNA, or do they have some investment (and earn profit) by supporting the status quo and opposing new ideas and developments.

Ohhh, the bullet train to nowhere..

Biggest fucking boondoggle in ages.

Just think, when completed - in 2419 - you'll be able to travel from Los Angeles to San Francisco in only 5 hours for the low low cost of $600. (Southwest takes 42 minutes for the flight and is $79)

democrats, offering the 'smart' solution again...

Nice hyperbole, sans facts I would rate this post ridiculous if I had that choice.

SW may offer cheap gotta get away fares but if you ever need to change any aspect of the fight be prepared to have your wallet assaulted.

We had a flight scheduled to PHX for my son and I to go see the 49er opening game, last Septemeber. He was given a promotion and couldn't take the time off, so I tried to change our Friday flight to Saturday - no way without paying full fare for both of us.

So, my wife and I went, but to change the name from him to her cost us several hundred dollars - same flight, different name. To top it off the flight was over five hours late leaving.

Fuck 'em, now I fly Jet Blue. Assigned leather seats, much more foot room and lots of TV Channels to pass the time and if the flight is delayed, we have been given a voucher for an airport meal - better than a sharp stick in the eye or an empty costumer service booth common to SW.

Only a fool would rebuild a double deck freeway that had collapsed. Given that the '89 quake was centered in Santa Cruz (Surf City) on the San Andres Fault, and the original Cypress was build near a fault as dangerous, maybe more so, the Hayward Fault, it was replaced by a new highway as explained in the link above.

I don't believe you are stupid, worse are those who are willfully ignorant (WI), something you've proved to be. The WI refuse to acknowledge they are ever wrong, and when their beliefs are challenged they default to emotions and name calling, And no, describing you as WI is based on your stubborn insistence on being correct, when the facts are given that you are dead wrong.,

The facts, which you have confirmed are correct are those I presented. You can rationalize and bluster all you want, but the facts I presented are correct. What does one call those who know they are wrong and yet insist on carrying on?

Completely different cultures. Japan's all about the teamwork and personal sacrifice. Here it's screw the team I want my drivetime radio. :)

No, Japan is SMALL. Why is it you people can't seem to grasp the concept of scale? You all remind me of Hitler and his generals looking at the map of Russia and saying to each other "see, it's only a foot to Astrakhan!" And, more to the point, even in Japan there is only a single rail line that actually makes money. All the others exist purely because they tax those who don't use it to support those few who do.

I love taking the train from Paris to London. It's a great trip but I also realize that it only exists because the car drivers in England and France pay for it.

See corruption here: Key System - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The air corridor between LA and San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland is crowded, and getting into LA, SF, SJ or OAK means the traveler must find other means of transport - sometimes several, requiring transfers before reaching their destination.

The bullet train will create jobs, and development along the corridor and will allow business and government officials to travel with the convenience of WiFi and comfort to and from their home offices where they can meet with colleagues and associates along its route coming from the other direction.

Business centers and hotels will be built along the route which will grow well into the next century, and feeder trains, light rail and buses will spider web off of the main lines, creating more jobs.

Too bad some people are myopic and others are blind to the future. Why do conservatives seem to lack imagination and remain stuck in the past? Is it in their DNA, or do they have some investment (and earn profit) by supporting the status quo and opposing new ideas and developments.

I do believe that you would not be able to find air travel to SF from LA. But then, you can never seem to find your way to a restroom before pissing yourself.

For those who are NOT you;

Search Fares Air Tickets Find Travel Deals Southwest Airlines

Nice hyperbole, sans facts I would rate this post ridiculous if I had that choice.

SW may offer cheap gotta get away fares but if you ever need to change any aspect of the fight be prepared to have your wallet assaulted.

We had a flight scheduled to PHX for my son and I to go see the 49er opening game, last Septemeber. He was given a promotion and couldn't take the time off, so I tried to change our Friday flight to Saturday - no way without paying full fare for both of us.

So, my wife and I went, but to change the name from him to her cost us several hundred dollars - same flight, different name. To top it off the flight was over five hours late leaving.

Fuck 'em, now I fly Jet Blue. Assigned leather seats, much more foot room and lots of TV Channels to pass the time and if the flight is delayed, we have been given a voucher for an airport meal - better than a sharp stick in the eye or an empty costumer service booth common to SW.

Actually, it's fact. It will be about a 5 hour trip, and the cost one way is expected to exceed $500. There will likely be heavy subsidies to the consumer - but this is the dumbest fucking fraud in a century. Pure corruption.

{
Thing is, that’s not what California voters approved. Their Proposition 1A required that trains would have to move at 200 mph, but they are currently projected to chug along 20 mph under that. (220 mph was the original goal.)

Legally, California’s high-speed rail project should be dead in its tracks, because it’s en route to operating subsidies, too — another no-no. “California’s Democrat supermajority are pulling all the levers and changing the rules, as a payoff to the public unions that elected them,” Katy Grimes, investigator at the free-market Pacific Research Institute, tells The Daily Caller.

The GAO report doubts private investment will come without such “revenue guarantees.” There’s no model for public-private partnerships in the U.S. They’ve failed before in Texas and Florida.}

All aboard California s high-speed train to nowhere The Daily Caller

I assume you are personally profiting from this crime?

Actually, it's fact. It will be about a 5 hour trip, and the cost one way is expected to exceed $500. There will likely be heavy subsidies to the consumer - but this is the dumbest fucking fraud in a century. Pure corruption.

{
Thing is, that’s not what California voters approved. Their Proposition 1A required that trains would have to move at 200 mph, but they are currently projected to chug along 20 mph under that. (220 mph was the original goal.)

Legally, California’s high-speed rail project should be dead in its tracks, because it’s en route to operating subsidies, too — another no-no. “California’s Democrat supermajority are pulling all the levers and changing the rules, as a payoff to the public unions that elected them,” Katy Grimes, investigator at the free-market Pacific Research Institute, tells The Daily Caller.

The GAO report doubts private investment will come without such “revenue guarantees.” There’s no model for public-private partnerships in the U.S. They’ve failed before in Texas and Florida.}

All aboard California s high-speed train to nowhere The Daily Caller

I assume you are personally profiting from this crime?

I'm sorry, you need to provide another source, the Daily Caller isn't a source I consider reliable:

see:

The Daily Caller - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back