Is religion really so bad?

You think that extolling the virtues of religion is off topic to the subject is religion bad?

What would be on topic, GT?
Good 1 ding, your phony and slightly disturbed act is a lil cheeky for not being blasted off bourbon and adderol, no?

G.T.....you know I like you right? But I do think Ding is sincere here....

I'm a bit blasted off pinot grigio :p
He is see through like my garments when Im naked :11_2_1043:

uhhh.....umh....nekkid?
Apologies, Coyote. But ding-dong is a twat. He is a self proclaimed troll and if you miss the condescention in phrases such as "i feel your pain" then he's got you hoodwinked into his scummerbubble.

Now let me define scummerbubble, since I just invented it....

The bubble that an internet troll suffering from self derrangement sucks innocent & kind hearted folks into like Macauley Culkin's character in "The Good Son."

Ding is obsessed with me because Ive got his act's barely secret decoder ring and I shove it up his ass.

Pause.

G.T.....can you and Ding set it aside for this thread? We aren't in the FZ....

What are your thoughts on religion independent of Ding's?

I always kind of liked Allanis Morrisette as God in Dogma....:)

Religion is capable of the most incredible good and the most incredible evil.

It all depends on the followers and what they CHOOSE to believe.
Everything is choice. We all have two wolves inside us that are fighting; a good wolf and a bad wolf. The wolf that wins is the wolf you feed.

I've heard that and always liked that. My view of religion is akin to the blind men and the elephant...we each only know a portion of the whole and there are many paths to God.

Good 1 ding, your phony and slightly disturbed act is a lil cheeky for not being blasted off bourbon and adderol, no?

G.T.....you know I like you right? But I do think Ding is sincere here....

I'm a bit blasted off pinot grigio :p
He is see through like my garments when Im naked :11_2_1043:

uhhh.....umh....nekkid?
Apologies, Coyote. But ding-dong is a twat. He is a self proclaimed troll and if you miss the condescention in phrases such as "i feel your pain" then he's got you hoodwinked into his scummerbubble.

Now let me define scummerbubble, since I just invented it....

The bubble that an internet troll suffering from self derrangement sucks innocent & kind hearted folks into like Macauley Culkin's character in "The Good Son."

Ding is obsessed with me because Ive got his act's barely secret decoder ring and I shove it up his ass.

Pause.

G.T.....can you and Ding set it aside for this thread? We aren't in the FZ....

What are your thoughts on religion independent of Ding's?

I always kind of liked Allanis Morrisette as God in Dogma....:)
I think that Religion taught to impressionable children by an adult in a position of trust or authority is child abuse.

I also don't mind it much outside of that ~ aside from debaters on the web and such that don't understand that no Religion is objectively proven....

those conversations are fruitless when ego is such a thing ~ because honest internal critiques are hard. That's human nature.

Well I'll tell you what I think, there's a whole lot of people in this world who need to believe in a higher being that rewards a good life and punishes bad behavior. The world can be a cold, lonely, and dangerous place and there's a whole lot of people that need to believe it's worth it to keep going, and that when it's over they'll be reunited with loved ones that have passed away before them. Whether it's true or not is beside the point, if it helps you deal with life then it's really nobody else's business.

Religion is dogmatic and inhibits personal growth. Religion encourages group think, and is based on the fear of a false choice. Religion teaches children that creative writing is a healthy replacement for empirical facts and reasoning. Religion causes division, as well as inclusion in a cult like manner. Religion has attempted to fill many unanswered questions about the nature of reality, and if it weren't for the curious human conscience and its defiance of religion ~ these false explanations would have never been corrected. Religion teaches the mind that cognitive dissonance is "ok." If Religion is contradictory, we can invoke any number of rationalizations to hide that fact. Religion is another cause to the endless human endeavor to seek excuses for war. Religion promotes an us/they mentality, and establishes many inept moral baselines that caused society bigotry, many of which society later corrected.

Religion is a reflection of the human ego ~ the need to know the unknown. Its pretense is to appease that ego, and tell oneself that one knows whats unfound, and inconclusive. It prays on the human's longing for larger meaning in the face of the harsh reality of physical decay, over time.

Atheism is guilty of most of the same.

Humans are great, though ..... and Religious bans on x, y, z which would otherwise advance us as a whole have fallen, one by one.

I’m curious, anything wrong with that?

So virgin birth, real or allegorical?
It depends upon the motives.
Virgin birth, real or allegorical?
What does virgin birth mean to you?
Means intact hymen/unfucked by a human pregnancy. Real or allegorical?
That isn't my understanding, Taz.

I believe it means conceived without intercourse. A true miracle.
So you think that the virgin birth is real and Mary was impregnated by a ghost?

Religion is dogmatic and inhibits personal growth. Religion encourages group think, and is based on the fear of a false choice. Religion teaches children that creative writing is a healthy replacement for empirical facts and reasoning. Religion causes division, as well as inclusion in a cult like manner. Religion has attempted to fill many unanswered questions about the nature of reality, and if it weren't for the curious human conscience and its defiance of religion ~ these false explanations would have never been corrected. Religion teaches the mind that cognitive dissonance is "ok." If Religion is contradictory, we can invoke any number of rationalizations to hide that fact. Religion is another cause to the endless human endeavor to seek excuses for war. Religion promotes an us/they mentality, and establishes many inept moral baselines that caused society bigotry, many of which society later corrected.

Religion is a reflection of the human ego ~ the need to know the unknown. Its pretense is to appease that ego, and tell oneself that one knows whats unfound, and inconclusive. It prays on the human's longing for larger meaning in the face of the harsh reality of physical decay, over time.

Atheism is guilty of most of the same.

Humans are great, though ..... and Religious bans on x, y, z which would otherwise advance us as a whole have fallen, one by one.

Religion is an idea, a concept, a set of shared beliefs and practices that basically evolves around a code of morality and actions that are supposed to be universal among it's members and it's leaders. Unfortunately, as with any other institution involving a lot of people, it has it's share of people who for whatever reason do things that contradict that code of morality. But that doesn't mean the religion itself is to blame if a very small minority do things that are wrong or even evil. It's a little bit like saying the entire Democratic Party is to blame for Anthony Weiner's misdeeds or the Republican Party for somebody on their side found to be guilty of something just as bad or worse. Sometimes the positions a particular religion takes on an issue or event are misguided, but the fault for that again lies with those who erred in their decision-making rather than the millions and billions who believe in the beliefs that religion espouses. IOW, it is a mistake IMHO to conflate the religion with the actions of a few of it's members, even a few of it's leaders.

Forum List

Back