Olympic Arms, Inc. bans all sales to the State of New York Government

The original AR-15 is a 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington rifle.

Not a .22.

You're attempting to speak as if you know a lot about rifles, but it's getting pretty clear that you don't.

1. Colt owns the trademark "AR-15", not Olympic.

2. Many, many companies make "AR-15" rifles. Olympic is one of many.

3. Olympic does NOT make "real" AR-15s any more than any other company does.

One cleaning brush does all three
Hoppe's .22 .223 5.56mm Caliber Rifle Phosphor Bronze Brush

300px-22lr.png

223remx330.gif

Try putting a .22 Long cartridge into an AR-15 and see what happens.

You can
AR-15 .22 LR Conversion Kit Jonathan Arthur Ciener Inc. Includes 10 Round Magazine

Sure, if you modify it.

That doesn't change the fact that the .22 LG is a very different cartridge than the .223 Remington or the 5.56 NATO.

sure, if you modify it.

That doesn't change the fact that the .22 lg is a very different cartridge than the .223 remington or the 5.56 nato.

except for the casing the projectiles are the same diameter
You can and the air force uses the 22 cal. To qualify while in basic training.

Last edited:
I'm betting these companies don't do much business with the state of New York. So, they will get a boost by people who like their stand while not really losing anything. New York won't much care either as they will buy their guns elsewhere. Win/win for everyone.

Yeah well what do you know about it.
Obviously if these companies were not doing business with the rogue states, they would have no reason to waster letterhead on those rogue states.

Unless they just want to get the rubes all warm and fuzzy inside thinking thier stance makes a diff when really it doesn't.

sure, if you modify it.

That doesn't change the fact that the .22 lg is a very different cartridge than the .223 remington or the 5.56 nato.

except for the casing the projectiles are the same.

Yes.

That doesn't change the fact that the AR-15, as designed, does not fire a .22 LG cartridge - which was the only point that I was making.

sure, if you modify it.

except for the casing the projectiles are the same diameter

Clarification
When I was in basic back in 1982 the Air Force would use the conversion kit in the M16 to qualify with the rifle. It wasn't until I went to my tech school that I had too qualify with the 223 556 round in the M16. Now I'm not sure what the Air Force uses in basic to qualify with.

sure, if you modify it.

except for the casing the projectiles are the same.

Yes.

That doesn't change the fact that the AR-15, as designed, does not fire a .22 LG cartridge - which was the only point that I was making.

One more time the 22 cal. is fired from the same barrel upper and lower in the M16 M4 the only thing that you change is the bolt and magazine.

The only maker of AR-15 rifles and carbines is Colt, who owns the trademark. Olympic makes knockoffs like all the other 30 odd manufacturers. If Olympic doesn't want to deal, there are plenty of other places to go.

Colt makes the LE901-16S, which is a .308

Colt LE901-16S

The AR-15 is a .22.

Not a .22.

You're attempting to speak as if you know a lot about rifles, but it's getting pretty clear that you don't.

I have repeatedly pointed out I don't know about guns, yet I often argue rings around people like you who claim to know something, The fact is that, if you look at Colt's website, they do not make the AR-15, despite your insistence that they own the trademark, and are the only legal manufacturer thereof.

Last edited:

Colt LE901-16S

The AR-15 is a .22.

Not a .22.

I have repeatedly pointed out I don't know about guns, yet I often argue rings around people like you who claim to know something, The fact is that, if you look at Colt's website, they do not make the AR-15, despite your insistence that they own the trademark, and are the only legal manufacturer thereof.
He's wrong.

Colt LE901-16S

The AR-15 is a .22.

Not a .22.

Actually, it was you that insisted that Olympic Arms was the "only legal manufacturer" of AR-15s.

Colt does own the trademark, after buying it from ArmaLite in the late 1950s. The patent is rarely enforced, which is why countless companies refer to their variant models as "AR-15s".

In addition, I believe that Colt does still manufactures AR-15s for the military, under the name M-16.

ArmaLite was the original holder of the patent for the gun - in fact, the "AR" stands for ArmaLite Rifle.

Not a .22.

Actually, it was you that insisted that Olympic Arms was the "only legal manufacturer" of AR-15s.

Colt does own the trademark, after buying it from ArmaLite in the late 1950s. The patent is rarely enforced, which is why countless companies refer to their variant models as "AR-15s".

In addition, I believe that Colt does still manufactures AR-15s for the military, under the name M-16.

ArmaLite was the original holder of the patent for the gun - in fact, the "AR" stands for ArmaLite Rifle.

Go back and look, I did not say that. I would expect an apology for you putting words in my mouth if you weren't a dishonest hack.

By the way, AR doesn't stand for Armalite Rifle anymore than M stands for military, it was nothing more than a model number assigned by the manufacturer.

Go back and look, I did not say that. I would expect an apology for you putting words in my mouth if you weren't a dishonest hack.
You did. A few times.
They are the only maker of the AR-15. As you pointed out, other manufacturers, like Bushmaster, make copies or knockoffs of them. If you don't understand the difference between a copy and an original why am I even talking to you?
....even though they are the only manufacturer in the country that actually makes AR-15s.
Both of those quotes of yours are in reference to Olympic Arms.

By the way, AR doesn't stand for Armalite Rifle anymore than M stands for military, it was nothing more than a model number assigned by the manufacturer.
Yes, it was a "model number" assigned by the manufacturer - the original manufacturer being ArmaLite. ArmaLite named all of their rifles AR-#.

You did. A few times.

....even though they are the only manufacturer in the country that actually makes AR-15s.

What a surprise, the dishonest hack refuses to admit he is wrong even when providing quotes to prove that I didn't say what he claimed I said.

Care to point out where either of those quotes says that Olympic is the "only legal manufacturer" of AR-15s?

Keep in mind that you are the one that put that phrase in quotes.

Yes, it was a "model number" assigned by the manufacturer - the original manufacturer being ArmaLite. ArmaLite named all of their rifles AR-#.

Surprise surprise, you insist on doubling down on stupid. Look up the AR-24, which is a pistol made by Armalite. Are you trying to tell me they wanted people to think their pistols were Armalite Rifles?

Remember, I don't know anything about guns, something you yourself pointed out, and I have admitted more than once, yet I still just managed to demonstrate I know more than you. I guess that means you know less than nothing, yet you are in here acting like you are an expert.

You did. A few times.

What a surprise, the dishonest hack refuses to admit he is wrong even when providing quotes to prove that I didn't say what he claimed I said.

Care to point out where either of those quotes says that Olympic is the "only legal manufacturer" of AR-15s?

Keep in mind that you are the one that put that phrase in quotes.

You're right, I shouldn't have used quotes.

How about this:

You have repeated claimed, in this thread, that Olympic Arms is the "only manufacturer that actually makes AR-15s." Are you going to admit that you were entirely wrong in your premise yet, or are you going to continue avoiding it and attacking me personally?

It's funny that you're calling me the "dishonest hack".

Surprise surprise, you insist on doubling down on stupid. Look up the AR-24, which is a pistol made by Armalite. Are you trying to tell me they wanted people to think their pistols were Armalite Rifles?

Remember, I don't know anything about guns, something you yourself pointed out, and I have admitted more than once, yet I still just managed to demonstrate I know more than you. I guess that means you know less than nothing, yet you are in here acting like you are an expert.

I think I see where you're getting confused. There have been, historically, 2 companies called "ArmaLite". The original company existed from the early 50s until the 80s - they are the company that developed the AR-15 - which absolutely stood for ArmaLite Rifle.

That company went out of business in the later 80s. Later, in 1996, a separate company bought the name ArmaLite, and re-opened. They have continued to name their guns AR-##, even though they have now started to make pistols as well.

I don't see how you think that being pedantic "demostrates" anything, aside possibly the fact that you're completely incapable of admitting that you're wrong.

How about this:

You have repeated claimed, in this thread, that Olympic Arms is the "only manufacturer that actually makes AR-15s." Are you going to admit that you were entirely wrong in your premise yet, or are you going to continue avoiding it and attacking me personally?

Care to point out where I denied saying that? I already provided evidence that Colt doesn't make an AR-15, so keep claiming they do so if you like, even though there is no evidence to support your position.

I think I see where you're getting confused. There have been, historically, 2 companies called "ArmaLite". The original company existed from the early 50s until the 80s - they are the company that developed the AR-15 - which absolutely stood for ArmaLite Rifle.

That company went out of business in the later 80s. Later, in 1996, a separate company bought the name ArmaLite, and re-opened. They have continued to name their guns AR-##, even though they have now started to make pistols as well.

I don't see how you think that being pedantic "demostrates" anything, aside possibly the fact that you're completely incapable of admitting that you're wrong.

By the way, you are still wrong about AR being anything other than a model designation. For one thing, Colt did not buy Armalite, they bought the license to make the AR-10 and the AR-15 in the US. A Dutch company actually bought a separate license to make the AR-10 overseas. Armalite itself was not sold until years after that point. the whole Armalite Rifle thing is an urban legend.

How about this:

Care to point out where I denied saying that? I already provided evidence that Colt doesn't make an AR-15, so keep claiming they do so if you like, even though there is no evidence to support your position.

By the way, you are still wrong about AR being anything other than a model designation. For one thing, Colt did not buy Armalite, they bought the license to make the AR-10 and the AR-15 in the US. A Dutch company actually bought a separate license to make the AR-10 overseas. Armalite itself was not sold until years after that point. the whole Armalite Rifle thing is an urban legend.

To be fair QW, if you're going to be concerned with wording, theDoc didn't say Colt bought ArmaLite, merely that another company did.

I also don't see how Colt buying the licensing rights to the names AR-10 and AR-15 means that AR could NOT have been meant as 'ArmaLite rifle'. I was curious after reading this discussion, and have seen various answers given as to the meaning of the AR designation, including merely ARmalite and ArmaLite rifle. I haven't seen anything that could be called official, so I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. As someone who has said they don't know about guns, it seems odd that you would be so confident about this.

Here's a little ArmaLite history, including both the selling of licensing rights and the changes in management and end/rebirth of the company :

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/AL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf

How about this:

To be fair QW, if you're going to be concerned with wording, theDoc didn't say Colt bought ArmaLite, merely that another company did.

I also don't see how Colt buying the licensing rights to the names AR-10 and AR-15 means that AR could NOT have been meant as 'ArmaLite rifle'. I was curious after reading this discussion, and have seen various answers given as to the meaning of the AR designation, including merely ARmalite and ArmaLite rifle. I haven't seen anything that could be called official, so I have no idea what the truth of the matter is. As someone who has said they don't know about guns, it seems odd that you would be so confident about this.

Here's a little ArmaLite history, including both the selling of licensing rights and the changes in management and end/rebirth of the company :

Except he did say it. I pointed out that all Colt actually bought was a license to manufacture the guns, and that the license was not even exclusive, and he changed his tune, feel free to read the thread.

Last edited:

Except he did say it. I pointed out that all Colt actually bought was a license to manufacture the guns, and that the license was not even exclusive, and he changed his tune, feel free to read the thread.

I've read the thread, thanks. I've been posting in it for a while now. :)

I thought you were responding to the post you quoted, in which theDoc mentioned ArmaLite having gone out of business, then another company buying the name.

If you were talking about something else, well, I've just browsed the entire thread and have not seen theDoc say that Colt owns ArmaLite, or that Colt bought ArmaLite, anywhere. He DID say that Colt owns the trademark for AR-15, but that's certainly not what you claimed he said.

So, again, if you want to be picky about wording, it might be better to accurately portray what theDoc has said. Unless, of course, you wish to show where he did actually say what you claim?

Forum List

Back