Preliminary NTSB report on Dali hitting Baltimore bridge

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
This is a great video by my favorite NTSB guy who normally covers aviation accidents, Juan Brown, aka Blancolirio.

Seems the NTSB discovered that the boat had multiple electrical failures of even its redundant systems, causing the crew to lose power AND steering.

Does the report say anything about the deliberate 30d turn to Starboard, to contact dead on the bridge's most vulnerable point?
And does it show it happening?

Nope! Complete avoidance of mentioning the actual movement of the ship, but does include the opportunity to mention that the investigation on what caused the event taking at least a year.

This is a great video by my favorite NTSB guy who normally covers aviation accidents, Juan Brown, aka Blancolirio.

Seems the NTSB discovered that the boat had multiple electrical failures of even its redundant systems, causing the crew to lose power AND steering.

Blancolirio has some great content ... here's another guy with experience with ships like this :

Still no explanation for all the black smoke ... "black smoke from [these generators] is from improper air-to-fuel mixture" ... any ideas, I know nothing of desiel engines ... can't even spelt it ...

Closing a damper to a running generator ... that never happens ... folks work on off-line generators ... something stinks here, we'll see what LEO has ...

Last edited:
Blancolirio has some great content ... here's another guy with experience with ships like this :

Still no explanation for all the black smoke ... "black smoke from [these generators] is from improper air-to-fuel mixture" ... any ideas, I know nothing of desiel engines ... can't even spelt it ...

This turned out to be nothing more than an explanation of the fairly simple schematics of the 'power' side as opposed to the 'control' side. Not complicate at all,, as the narrator claimed. A real nothing-burger, leaving us with no explanations at all on what caused the breakers to open. Rather, an obvious attempt to make it look like there's no 'control' system at all and everything is done by hand!

But at least we're given another year for everything to blow over!

This turned out to be nothing more than an explanation of the fairly simple schematics of the 'power' side as opposed to the 'control' side. Not complicate at all,, as the narrator claimed. A real nothing-burger, leaving us with no explanations at all on what caused the breakers to open. Rather, an obvious attempt to make it look like there's no 'control' system at all and everything is done by hand!

They don't KNOW what caused the breakers to open. This is a PRELIMINARY REPORT. It's not the FINAL report. Juan DID explain why the ship did what it did, it lost ALL STEERING AND POWER. It was literally drifting without steering at the point it hit the bridge.

Does the report say anything about the deliberate 30d turn to Starboard, to contact dead on the bridge's most vulnerable point?
And does it show it happening?

Losing steering can do that. In the report the captain said he called for full port steering. But then lost it. There is your explanation.

Losing steering can do that. In the report the captain said he called for full port steering. But then lost it. There is your explanation.
There's no mechanism involved that would change a neutral rudder position into a hard starboard rudder.
We've all seen video evidence that shows the ship's hard turn to starboard! I estimated it had to be close to 30d course change to starboard.

What's going on? Are a lot of Americans not being able to see what actually happened? Never mind, this nothing-burger report that tells us nothing!

There's no mechanism involved that would change a neutral rudder position into a hard starboard rudder.
We've all seen video evidence that shows the ship's hard turn to starboard! I estimated it had to be close to 30d course change to starboard.

What's going on? Are a lot of Americans not being able to see what actually happened? Never mind, this nothing-burger report that tells us nothing!

You have NO IDEA what happens when a rudder on a boat like that malfunctions so stop the bullshit.

Anybody expecting the truth and receiving an effective admission of being hacked and manipulated is naive beyond belief .

You have NO IDEA what happens when a rudder on a boat like that malfunctions so stop the bullshit.
Don't believe me and don't believe your lying eyes. Just register the fact in your head that it could have been the Martians that caused the 30d course change to starboard!

A neutral rudder would have taken that ship clear down the lane it was assigned.
Ya just can't invent this shit, even with airplanes.

Were there cargo ships in the harbour, loaded with arms and ammuntion for the Ukraiine?

Or was that just silly invented rumours? I don't deal in Martians.

This is just the preliminary report ... don't forget they were tripping breakers while loading cargo ...

My guess is they had a major problem, and decided to fix it en-route ... I'm sure that happens all over the world every day ... only one in ten thousand these ships would hit anything heading out to sea ... an acceptable risk ...

You think the FBI can bring a criminal case to court that quick? ... the "control system" was turned off, because of the major electric problem ... if that's was illegal to do, then it may be longer before we get the full answer ...

Good thing the insurance industry is flush with cash ... it'll take twenty years to get the money, but they will be paying ... you can bet your tombstone on it ...

This is just the preliminary report ... don't forget they were tripping breakers while loading cargo ...

My guess is they had a major problem, and decided to fix it en-route ... I'm sure that happens all over the world every day ... only one in ten thousand these ships would hit anything heading out to sea ... an acceptable risk ...

You think the FBI can bring a criminal case to court that quick? ... the "control system" was turned off, because of the major electric problem ... if that's was illegal to do, then it may be longer before we get the full answer ...

Good thing the insurance industry is flush with cash ... it'll take twenty years to get the money, but they will be paying ... you can bet your tombstone on it ...
You don't understand what the 'control' side of the schematic drawings is.
I hesitate to get into it with you until you learn.

In any case, the main issue is always going to be the 30d turn to starboard. And everybody is afraid to go there.

You don't understand what the 'control' side of the schematic drawings is.
I hesitate to get into it with you until you learn.

In any case, the main issue is always going to be the 30d turn to starboard. And everybody is afraid to go there.

That's because you don't know ... I'm looking at the schematic, HR1 and LR1 tripped ... which "control" side are you looking at, and use the IDs in the schematic ... because nothing is labeled as "control" ... unless you think the indicator lights did this ...

Chief Makoi said he didn't understand why these breakers were being manually closed ... perhaps you know more than he does? ... here's a clue, them breakers were tripping as they added refrigerated containers ... my guess is some safety control circuit was disabled so the ship could set sail to Asia ... until they couldn't ... you can see this mentality on constructions sites everywhere ...

30º after 4'12" ... they had rudder control the last 3 minutes ... as explained in all the videos, that's not how big ships are turned ... have you checked tides, river current; water will carry inertia ... why does it matter? ...

That's because you don't know ... I'm looking at the schematic, HR1 and LR1 tripped ... which "control" side are you looking at, and use the IDs in the schematic ... because nothing is labeled as "control" ... unless you think the indicator lights did this ...
You don't understand. You're looking at the 'power' side of the schematics and not the 'control side. There isn't any control shown.
Chief Makoi said he didn't understand why these breakers were being manually closed ... perhaps you know more than he does? ... here's a clue, them breakers were tripping as they added refrigerated containers ... my guess is some safety control circuit was disabled so the ship could set sail to Asia ... until they couldn't ... you can see this mentality on constructions sites everywhere ...

30º after 4'12" ... they had rudder control the last 3 minutes ... as explained in all the videos, that's not how big ships are turned ... have you checked tides, river current; water will carry inertia ... why does it matter? ...
Yes, I've checked tides and currents. Very little at the time. So guess all you like but don't forget to guess the reason the ship altered course to starboard of about 30d.
Maybe you can guess whether or not the ship's rudder had something to do with it??

You don't understand. You're looking at the 'power' side of the schematics and not the 'control side. There isn't any control shown.

Yes, I've checked tides and currents. Very little at the time. So guess all you like but don't forget to guess the reason the ship altered course to starboard of about 30d.
Maybe you can guess whether or not the ship's rudder had something to do with it??

What do you think the reason is? ... and let's see the complete schematic ... do you have this handy? ... specifically I want to know what you think was tripping breakers as they were loading ...

The rudder was at full port ... so please tell us why she crashed at 30º starboard? ... see on the schematic, EG = emergency generator ... nav lights were working starting at 3'10" before impact ... so the bridge had full rudder control at that point ... notice how the bridge was barking rudder commands, instead of complaining about no rudder control? ...

The rudder alone doesn't move ships that size ...

What do you think the reason is? ... and let's see the complete schematic ... do you have this handy? ... specifically I want to know what you think was tripping breakers as they were loading ...
Are you for real? Why would you think I have a schematic drawing of the controls?
The rudder was at full port ... so please tell us why she crashed at 30º starboard?
Watch the video that shows the ship making to turn to starboard, that I've estimated to be about 30d.
I have no information on the rudder position. We can only make an educated guess, due to the movement of the ship.
... see on the schematic, EG = emergency generator ... nav lights were working starting at 3'10" before impact ... so the bridge had full rudder control at that point ... notice how the bridge was barking rudder commands, instead of complaining about no rudder control? ...

The rudder alone doesn't move ships that size ...
Other forces can influence the movement of large ships such as that one.

Examples?
appreciable tide and current.
The applicable anchor
The bottom of the channel.
wind.
Tug boats.

Can you think of some others? Check them all out and don't be lazy if you desire a discussion.

Are you for real? Why would you think I have a schematic drawing of the controls?

So you admit to arguing blind ...

Watch the video that shows the ship making to turn to starboard, that I've estimated to be about 30d.
I have no information on the rudder position. We can only make an educated guess, due to the movement of the ship.

Other forces can influence the movement of large ships such as that one.

Examples?
appreciable tide and current.
The applicable anchor
The bottom of the channel.
wind.
Tug boats.

Can you think of some others? Check them all out and don't be lazy if you desire a discussion.

You dismissed the tides and current speculation I made ... "Yes, I've checked tides and currents." ... Chief Makoi explained it well enough, prop-wash over the deflected rudder introduces torque into the system ... it's thermodynamics, follow the energy ...

We're delivering 55k hp and then suddenly we're not delivering 55k hp ... that alone could give 7.5º/min worth of torque to that big a ship ... ask a pilot about propellers ...

Yes
Trying to say it’s a mirage that the bow swung right into the bridge is suspicious

Forum List

Back