Well that's one way to reduce crime.

He ran through a pollice checkpoint after a fatal accident and dragged an officer for 15 feet before he was stopped.

Meanwhile the Bucks player was TAZED by Milwaukee cops because he parked illegally.

get real.. how cops treat white people is different than how they treat people of color, even for celebrities.

Long article, but I'll give you the top part.

This Article empirically illustrates that legal doctrines permitting police officers to engage in pretextual traffic stops may contribute to an increase in racial profiling. In 1996, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Whren v. United States that pretextual traffic stops do not violate the Fourth Amendment. As long as police officers identify anobjective violation of a traffic law, they may lawfully stop a motorist-even if their actualintention is to use the stop to investigate a hunch that by itself does not amount toprobable cause or reasonable suspicion. Scholars and civil rights activists have sharply criticized Whren, arguing that it gives police officers permission to engage in racial profiling. But social scientists have struggled to evaluate how Whren has influenced police behavior empirically.

Exploiting a dataset of 8,257,527 traffic stops conducted by the Washington State Patrol from 2008 through 2015, we carry out difference-in-differences and triple-difference analyses to assess whether the Arreola decision increased traffic stops among drivers of color relative to white drivers. We find that the Arreola decision is associated with a statistically significant increase in traffic stops of drivers of color relative to white drivers. Further, we find this increase in traffic stops of drivers of color is concentrated during daytime hours, when officers can more easily ascertain a driver's race through visual observation.

Yes, DWB is a thing. Yes, cops use pretexual stops as an excuse to look for other wrongdoing.
why do you keep lying after being proven wrong??

He ran through a pollice checkpoint after a fatal accident and dragged an officer for 15 feet before he was stopped.

Meanwhile the Bucks player was TAZED by Milwaukee cops because he parked illegally.

get real.. how cops treat white people is different than how they treat people of color, even for celebrities.

Long article, but I'll give you the top part.

This Article empirically illustrates that legal doctrines permitting police officers to engage in pretextual traffic stops may contribute to an increase in racial profiling. In 1996, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Whren v. United States that pretextual traffic stops do not violate the Fourth Amendment. As long as police officers identify anobjective violation of a traffic law, they may lawfully stop a motorist-even if their actualintention is to use the stop to investigate a hunch that by itself does not amount toprobable cause or reasonable suspicion. Scholars and civil rights activists have sharply criticized Whren, arguing that it gives police officers permission to engage in racial profiling. But social scientists have struggled to evaluate how Whren has influenced police behavior empirically.

Exploiting a dataset of 8,257,527 traffic stops conducted by the Washington State Patrol from 2008 through 2015, we carry out difference-in-differences and triple-difference analyses to assess whether the Arreola decision increased traffic stops among drivers of color relative to white drivers. We find that the Arreola decision is associated with a statistically significant increase in traffic stops of drivers of color relative to white drivers. Further, we find this increase in traffic stops of drivers of color is concentrated during daytime hours, when officers can more easily ascertain a driver's race through visual observation.

Yes, DWB is a thing. Yes, cops use pretexual stops as an excuse to look for other wrongdoing.

I'm not arguing it may not happen, I asked where it said "Usually."

Good luck with that logic, by the way. It seems to be working wonders.

I'm not arguing it may not happen, I asked where it said "Usually."

Good luck with that logic, by the way. It seems to be working wonders.
Ah, the obligatory cheap shot at Chicago.

That's nice.

It happens A LOT. That was the point of the article.

Chicago was getting a handle on her murder problem, until the National Rampage Society got our sensible gun laws thrown out.

But explain to me how pulling over a black person for a broken taillight as a pretext to toss his car is helping that, exactly?

Forum List

Back