16 inches of snow & -17

Talked to the hardware store and the mfg. The hardware store assured me the generator would work on a 1/3hp sump pump. Mfg said that this machine would not do that, it wasn't rated for something requiring that much power on startup and running. Hardware store said they would take it back. Just have to empty out the gas and oil and repack it. Sweet.

You have to know the surge watts for the pump you are using or the device you hook up to it may not work. You can actually find a list of surge watts on the internet from generator sites that sell them. The information is also in their manuals if they have it. I have a 3500 watt generator and I can power at least two outlets or more. I can get close to 2,000 watts on each cord but I don't think it is that.

You also have to sit it in the yard far away from people in the fresh air or you can get carbon monoxide poisoning. Someone in the news opened their garage door and ran it in their garage last year and the vapor seeped in the house. It isn't good enough. You have to place the generator in an open space in your yard.

If you were to power a home, you would need a larger one.

I saw a 7500 watt generator at Wallmart and was tempted to buy it.

Last edited:
Talked to the hardware store and the mfg. The hardware store assured me the generator would work on a 1/3hp sump pump. Mfg said that this machine would not do that, it wasn't rated for something requiring that much power on startup and running. Hardware store said they would take it back. Just have to empty out the gas and oil and repack it. Sweet.

You have to know the surge watts for the pump you are using or the device you hook up to it may not work. You can actually find a list of surge watts on the internet from generator sites that sell them. The information is also in their manuals if they have it. I have a 3500 watt generator and I can power at least two outlets or more. I can get close to 2,000 watts on each cord but I don't think it is that.

You also have to sit it in the yard far away from people in the fresh air or you can get carbon monoxide poisoning. Someone in the news opened their garage door and ran it in their garage last year and the vapor seeped in the house. It isn't good enough. You have to place the generator in an open space in your yard.

Whatever you buy, make sure you research before pulling the trigger. We bought a Generac 7500E and haven't needed it yet, but if I had the opportunity to make the same purchase again I'd spend the little bit extra and get the one that runs "clean" and won't damage electronics. The one we have might be okay and might not, but isn't specifically designed to put out a consistent wattage. We were only wanting power for the basics, and not worried about running the TV, computer or anything like that.

A local electrician said he makes a lot of runs after a power outage replacing electronic boards in furnaces, air conditioners and the like... things I didn't consider.

It took them a day and a half to get the snow plows into our neighborhood. Then the governor came to our city to congratulate them on a job well done lol

Yeah. I told the hardware store guys it was 1/3hp sump pump, box said 8.3amp max, mfr said our sump pump would need 8-12 to start. Just not enough power for what we needed. They took it back because they assured me it would work (I asked at least three times as well). We're going to buy something else that will run the pump, maybe some space heaters, fridge. We called Serv-pro (just to get an idea on cost). $2,500 estimate, they don't do pads under rugs they rip them out, Monday is the earliest they could get here, 4 days process. My brother is on his way up with his wet vac and a big fan. Between that and what we already have we'll git her done. One thing the SP person said they do was spray a anti-microbial solution on the rug after they did their thing. Good idea! Looking for that at the Depot.

One thing, thank God it's the middle of winter and it's cold. If this were to happen during warm weather, mold, mold, mold.!

In Texas, we had Graupel yesterday;

180px-Graupel%2C_Westwood%2C_MA_2010-02-02.jpg

Graupel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Graupel merked us.

After two days of sucking out the water from the padding and carpeting an executive decision was reached this morning ... we are ripping out the padding and carpeting after we suck out the water. Too much water, too much smell, too much to try and save. Next week, generator and carpet shopping!

Winter here in Vegas has been so mild it's a good thing I get reduced greens fees at my community course as I've been golfing all season. Otherwise, I'd be broke.....

Forum List

Back