2019 Vegetable Gardening General Discussion

Dekster

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2014
Been slowly getting back into vegetable gardening and am starting to gear up for 2019. Thought I would create a thread for those who want to discuss what is going on in their gardens this year.

Cleaned out one bin of the compost system and topped off a small bed with it that will be where the hot peppers go. Planted some green onions in a 4X8 raised bed that I have harvested most of the fall onions from in the last month. I set aside half of another 4X8 raised bed to grow walking onions in. I have about 3.5 pounds of onion sets I will put out at some point in the next month or so. Started some snow peas but they are not up yet. Will turn under the winter garden in the next few weeks so it can sit fallow until May 1 when I start planting again.

Any other veg growers here starting up for 2019 yet? (Yes you Texas and very southerner Florida people we know you are nearing the end of your season but I am talking about real Americans :11_2_1043:)

Bought some seed potatoes today. Still early to set them out but wanted them before they sell out all but the crappy ones. Bought some more red onion sets as well. I might plant some of those Saturday depending on weather. Nice overall but super windy here today.

See potatoes 58 cents a pound. Not great; not horrible. Bought some red pontiacs to go with white kenny's. Anbody else doing taters?

I grow tomatoes. That's it. But I have a bunch of fruit trees and blueberry shrubs. So, cobbler and pie and cakes and all sorts of good stuff. Enough for the whole block to have a little.

I have been trying with those, but the deer killed about half the ones I planted last year striping all the bark off the trees. The blueberries are starting to leaf out a little, but I can take them or leave them.

All the potatoes and onions are officially in the ground. Will plant some fall one later in year. Radishes are starting to get a little red on the bottoms, so won't be long with them.

Between the weather & motivation, it's been slow progress here. But I do have about 2/3's of the garden prepped, and about half of that has been planted with early season/cool weather crops. Like potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, beets, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuces, spinach, and celery.

I do need to pick up some more taters & onions sets before they're all gone...….but I'll plant those later in the season for a fall crop.

Been slowly getting back into vegetable gardening and am starting to gear up for 2019. Thought I would create a thread for those who want to discuss what is going on in their gardens this year.

Cleaned out one bin of the compost system and topped off a small bed with it that will be where the hot peppers go. Planted some green onions in a 4X8 raised bed that I have harvested most of the fall onions from in the last month. I set aside half of another 4X8 raised bed to grow walking onions in. I have about 3.5 pounds of onion sets I will put out at some point in the next month or so. Started some snow peas but they are not up yet. Will turn under the winter garden in the next few weeks so it can sit fallow until May 1 when I start planting again.

Any other veg growers here starting up for 2019 yet? (Yes you Texas and very southerner Florida people we know you are nearing the end of your season but I am talking about real Americans :11_2_1043:)
Yeah I'm slow this year and have yet to pull the fall onions and garlic and I've planted peas and spinach and have stars in the house for herbs.

[QUOT="Moonglow, post: 22212762, member: 30820"]
Here in NW Ohio it's time for planting anything yet. I'm really missing garden fresh vegetables.

Do you ever go foraging? I used to enjoy doing that.
For tree bark or skeletons from dead animals??

Neither.
This time of year it's fungi hunting, wild onions and garlic. I usually just hunt for pixies..[/QUOTE]

I like the wild garlic.

Here in NW Ohio it's time for planting anything yet. I'm really missing garden fresh vegetables.

Neither.
This time of year it's fungi hunting, wild onions and garlic. I usually just hunt for pixies..

I like the wild garlic.[/QUOTE]
Do you drink much elderberry wine?

I go mushroom hunting a lot. I have some property out in the country with thousands of oak trees that is great for hunting the super delicious morel mushrooms. Morels love them oak trees. It's almost that time of year too.

I go mushroom hunting a lot. I have some property out in the country with thousands of oak trees that is great for hunting the super delicious morel mushrooms. Morels love them oak trees. It's almost that time of year too.

You do know which ones not to pick?

The lethal ones?

Neither.
This time of year it's fungi hunting, wild onions and garlic. I usually just hunt for pixies..

I like the wild garlic.
Do you drink much elderberry wine?[/QUOTE]

Not recently.

I like the blossoms. And pick them as flowers. Love the smell.

Neither.

I like the wild garlic.
Do you drink much elderberry wine?

Not recently.

I like the blossoms. And pick them as flowers. Love the smell.[/QUOTE]
I have to fight the birds to get any from the trees on the place.

Forum List

Back