5 Minutes In

And selective editing method is far superior for being able to pick and chose how you compose a reply..
I'm not sure if you do not understand what I posted, or are simply ignoring it. One more time: it used to be very simple to click the reply button, then simply remove all but the last quote. It is now impossible.

Not quite impossible, just a PITA now. It then grows exponentially harder if the person you want to reply to ISN'T the last person to reply. I did it this way:
  1. Highlight and delete all but the text to the last two posts (yours and Flacc's, because that way, he will be notified of the comment).
  2. Move cursor to first commentator, then start hitting the quote marks in the tool bar (their position seems to vary with web browser). Each time you hit the quote marks over an empty (of text) commentator, it should erase their name, finally just leaving the two most recent, yours and Flacc's.
  3. Optional--- being perfectionistic, I moved the cursor ahead of the word "and" and hit BACKSPACE several times to eliminate empty RETURN spaces. This minimizes the text block to what you see above.
Where it gets tricky is when there are links, memes and other attachments sorting it all out, or trying to deal with anyone who are NOT at the beginning or end of the string. Good luck.

Where it gets tricky is when there are links, memes and other attachments sorting it all out, or trying to deal with anyone who are NOT at the beginning or end of the string. Good luck.
Been trying to tell you that you're doing this the HARDEST way possible. But -- have fun doing it. If there are multiple "selected" quotes in any of those responses, you'll be matching up quote symbols for a long long time..

Before you respond -- just navigate back to the people you WANT to respond to.. All the formatting just drops right in if you do selective quoting..

Been trying to tell you that you're doing this the HARDEST way possible. But -- have fun doing it. If there are multiple "selected" quotes in any of those responses, you'll be matching up quote symbols for a long long time..

Before you respond -- just navigate back to the people you WANT to respond to.. All the formatting just drops right in if you do selective quoting..

Well, the problem is that I know what I'm doing my way, and know how to explain it to others. My "hard" way is the EASIEST way I've found that definitely WORKS, by trial and error! Apparently you are just not a good TEACHER. I have no idea what you mean by:
  • multiple "selected" quotes (in any of the "responses"). Selected how? Where? You don't say.
  • navigate back to the people you WANT to respond to. Where? When? You don't say or show.
  • All the formatting just drops right in if you do selective quoting. Selective quoting is all I've done all my life and most of my time here! Again, too vague without being more specific.
I've tried every possible variation of what I can think each of these might mean or refer to, to no avail. I've combed through earlier threads on editing. Nothing this basic should be that obtuse to figure out. What if I was some old fart with little computer skills?! The problem isn't me, the problem is that editing before was simple, straightforward and intuitive. No explanation needed. The problem is that a week after the fact and with people even trying to explain it, this "simpler" new method to which you refer still eludes people's figuring out the trick to it because it involves some new mechanism that too many people are unfamiliar with, so will not use.

If Xenforo were concerned with doing this right, they would have included a packet explaining all the major important changes and improvements with this new version along with a simple help feature illustrating the basic steps to using various new tools.

I have read that three times, and I still have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

I have read that three times, and I still have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

R U hitting the reply button and taking a 20 post quote train into the reply editor just to reply to person #12 and @15 in the quote chain? If not, you're good. If you spend a lot of time breaking down those long chains and moving quote tags around manually to get it to print right -- you're working too hard.. That's all this about..

If you want to know a better way to get the right quotes already formatted to add to your replies, check out the thread about selective editing in the sticky section of this forum.

Five minutes in to whatever this new update was to the Xenforo software and I can already announce it sucks! Very hard/impossible just to edit text in replying to people!
I thought you were talking about the longest a libturd male can hold his nut in his boyfriends dirty hairy ass hole........My bad.

R U hitting the reply button and taking a 20 post quote train into the reply editor just to reply to person #12 and @15 in the quote chain?

Huh? WTF!

If you want to know a better way to get the right quotes already formatted to add to your replies, check out the thread about selective editing in the sticky section of this forum.

You must mean the thread 6 pages long with 107 posts in it. No thanks. I already waded through it once several days ago looking for salient info and not only saw nothing useful, but the last post in the thread was written TEN months ago, long before the current problem even existed, so how can it possibly be relevant here? Flacc, I know you are one smart dude, but teaching is obviously not your strongest suit.

If it takes 107 posts to explain just how to truncate text blocks down to the salient parts A YEAR AGO, and folks still can't just get a simple and direct answer today, it is no wonder why no one wants to bother trying NOW.

Before a week ago, I didn't need anyone to teach me how to edit text.

R U hitting the reply button and taking a 20 post quote train into the reply editor just to reply to person #12 and @15 in the quote chain? If not, you're good. If you spend a lot of time breaking down those long chains and moving quote tags around manually to get it to print right -- you're working too hard.. That's all this about..

No, that's not what I'm doing. You're not understanding.

New Topics

Forum List

Back