A Gambling Man

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I just finished reading it last night- it would make a great movie!

The 1950s are on the horizon, and Archer is in dire need of a fresh start after a nearly fatal detour in Poca City. So Archer hops on a bus and begins the long journey out west to California, where rumor has it there is money to be made if youā€™re hard-working, lucky, criminalā€”or all three.

Along the way, Archer stops in Reno, where a stroke of fortune delivers him a wad of cash and an eye-popping blood-red 1939 Delahaye convertibleā€”plus a companion for the final leg of the journey, an aspiring actress named Liberty Callahan who is planning to try her luck in Hollywood. But when the two arrive in Bay Town, California, Archer quickly discovers that the hordes of people who flocked there seeking fame and fortune landed in a false paradise that instead caters to their worst addictions and fears.

Archerā€™s first stop is a P.I. office where he is hoping to apprentice with a legendary private eye and former FBI agent named Willie Dash. He lands the job, and immediately finds himself in the thick of a potential scandal: a blackmail case involving a wealthy well-connected politician running for mayor that soon spins into something even more sinister. As bodies begin falling, Archer and Dash must infiltrate the world of brothels, gambling dens, drug operations, and long-hidden secrets, descending into the rotten bones of a corrupt town that is selling itself as the promised landā€”but might actually be the road to perdition, and Archerā€™s final resting place.

Amazon product

The 1950s are on the horizon, and Archer is in dire need of a fresh start after a nearly fatal detour in Poca City. So Archer hops on a bus and begins the long journey out west to California, where rumor has it there is money to be made if youā€™re hard-working, lucky, criminalā€”or all three.

Along the way, Archer stops in Reno, where a stroke of fortune delivers him a wad of cash and an eye-popping blood-red 1939 Delahaye convertibleā€”plus a companion for the final leg of the journey, an aspiring actress named Liberty Callahan who is planning to try her luck in Hollywood. But when the two arrive in Bay Town, California, Archer quickly discovers that the hordes of people who flocked there seeking fame and fortune landed in a false paradise that instead caters to their worst addictions and fears.

Archerā€™s first stop is a P.I. office where he is hoping to apprentice with a legendary private eye and former FBI agent named Willie Dash. He lands the job, and immediately finds himself in the thick of a potential scandal: a blackmail case involving a wealthy well-connected politician running for mayor that soon spins into something even more sinister. As bodies begin falling, Archer and Dash must infiltrate the world of brothels, gambling dens, drug operations, and long-hidden secrets, descending into the rotten bones of a corrupt town that is selling itself as the promised landā€”but might actually be the road to perdition, and Archerā€™s final resting place.

Amazon product

• Banned

Amazon product

Not quite the same-

Amazon product

Gambling Man is book 2 in the Archer series. Did you read the first book? If you like film noir, this book is for you, set in the 1950's in California. I really like it because I like the old time detective stories. As long you can accept the fact that the whole noir genre is fantasy, then it's fun to read or watch. If you're looking for a real detective story, this is not it. It's rare for a private detective to ever get involve in a murder case or to carry a gun. In the 1940's as today, they did background investigation, gather information on wayward spouses, trace down missing people, and investigate office crimes and other matters the client does not want to bring to the police. I know someone who was a private detective for 30 years. He said, he owned a gun but almost never carried it and never came close to any violent crime.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Amazon product

Gambling Man is book 2 in the Archer series. Did you read the first book? If you like film noir, this book is for you, set in the 1950's in California. I really like it because I like the old time detective stories. As long you can accept the fact that the whole noir genre is fantasy, then it's fun to read or watch. If you're looking for a real detective story, this is not it. It's rare for a private detective to ever get involve in a murder case or to carry a gun. In the 1940's as today, they did background investigation, gather information on wayward spouses, trace down missing people, and investigate office crimes and other matters the client does not want to bring to the police. I know someone who was a private detective for 30 years. He said, he owned a gun but almost never carried it and never came close to any violent crime.

I don't recall if I've read it, or haven't- I have over 200 books I've read in the last 8 years- I'm not sure what film noir is- you need to splain me to that- as far as what I enjoy- anything that is plausible with a thinker involved- There are several authors (characters/series) that come to mind.

Amazon product

I don't recall if I've read it, or haven't- I have over 200 books I've read in the last 8 years- I'm not sure what film noir is- you need to splain me to that- as far as what I enjoy- anything that is plausible with a thinker involved- There are several authors (characters/series) that come to mind.

"One Good Deed" is the first book in the series. Noir refers to a genre of crime fiction popular in 40's and 50's which often centered around cynically characters with bleak sleazy settings. The plots nearly always focus on sex, crime, and corruption. The central character is some type of investigator, detective, crime reporter, or cop. Typically, he will be flawed in some way, criminal past, fired cop, or someone who lives in on edge of the law. Film noir movies were set in a mood of pessimism, fatalism, and menace.

Noir seems to have begun with Dashiell Hammett around 1930. The sleuths of these previous crime writers such as Auguste Dupin, Eager Allen Poe, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Agatha Christie tended to be high minded, educated, and a respected member of the community. They had little interest in financial reward and favored their strong powers of deduction rather than violence to bring the criminal to justice.

If you like Baldaci's books, I would suggest the Amos Decker Series beginning with Memory Man which has been made into a movie. Amos Decker is an FBI investigator with a rather unconventional advantage to crime solving, making him the perfect star of a series. Amos Decker, a former NFL player who was sidelined after a head injury with the most unusual side effect: a perfect photographic memory. Decker finds work as a police detective, and for years his memory is an asset...but his world is shattered when he returns home one night and discovers his wife, daughter, and brother-in-law murdered.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Amazon product

"One Good Deed" is the first book in the series. Noir refers to a genre of crime fiction popular in 40's and 50's which often centered around cynically characters with bleak sleazy settings. The plots nearly always focus on sex, crime, and corruption. The central character is some type of investigator, detective, crime reporter, or cop. Typically, he will be flawed in some way, criminal past, fired cop, or someone who lives in on edge of the law. Film noir movies were set in a mood of pessimism, fatalism, and menace.

Noir seems to have begun with Dashiell Hammett around 1930. The sleuths of these previous crime writers such as Auguste Dupin, Eager Allen Poe, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Agatha Christie tended to be high minded, educated, and a respected member of the community. They had little interest in financial reward and favored their strong powers of deduction rather than violence to bring the criminal to justice.

If you like Baldaci's books, I would suggest the Amos Decker Series beginning with Memory Man which has been made into a movie. Amos Decker is an FBI investigator with a rather unconventional advantage to crime solving, making him the perfect star of a series. Amos Decker, a former NFL player who was sidelined after a head injury with the most unusual side effect: a perfect photographic memory. Decker finds work as a police detective, and for years his memory is an asset...but his world is shattered when he returns home one night and discovers his wife, daughter, and brother-in-law murdered.

Yes, I have read it- I've read many, if not most of Baldacci's books, including the Amos Decker series- I didn't know it had been made into a movie though- Thanks, I'll try to remember to look for it if I can put down my guitars ealry enough in the evenin to justify watchin a movie-

I enjoy the Elvis Costello detective series books too- and the Robert B. Parker, Spenser series, even with Ace Atkins writing them-

Amazon product

Yes, I have read it- I've read many, if not most of Baldacci's books, including the Amos Decker series- I didn't know it had been made into a movie though- Thanks, I'll try to remember to look for it if I can put down my guitars ealry enough in the evenin to justify watchin a movie-

I enjoy the Elvis Costello detective series books too- and the Robert B. Parker, Spenser series, even with Ace Atkins writing them-

I've read Parker's Spenser novels, good but not favorite.
Correction, the movie is not Baldacci's Memory man. Not familiar with Elvis Costello novels. The only Elvis Costello I know of is the singer song writer.

Not familiar with Elvis Costello novels.
Robert Crais is the author

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=robert+crais&rh=n:283155,p_lbr_books_series_browse-bin:An+Elvis+Cole+Novel&dc&qid=1621463174&rnid=3275128011&ref=sr_nr_p_lbr_books_series_browse-bin_1&tag=ff0d01-20

I also really enjoy James Lee Burke- I can relate to his stories through the geography, Louisiana, south central Texas and Montana-
I enjoyed his earlier books set in Louisiana but not so much the ones in Montana.

They had little interest in financial reward and favored their strong powers of deduction rather than violence to bring the criminal to justice.

Paul Drake... Private Dick

1622351027795.png

Amazon product

Sure would,have not read it but I can tell from enough of what you posted it would.

Amazon product

Sure would,have not read it but I can tell from enough of what you posted it would.

The Archer Series so far has 2 books and one scheduled for later this year. It appears to be a winner for Baldacci. I think it would make a good movie, at least I would like. In generally I like the 50's and like California before it got spoiled with too people and all the problems that go along with it.

Forum List

Back