A Maltese we named Bernie started it all.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Five years ago I found a scrawny-looking dirty little mutt near a Wal Mart wandering around lost. So I brought him home and she turned out to be a full-blood Maltese who we named Bernie, (I put it in the lost and found put some fliers out but no one ever answered) and he mated with our female Brussels Griffon, Sugar, and we sold the puppies for $75 - $100 each. They had 2 more litters after that and then Bernie followed our big dogs into the woods and never came back. ...after a week of searching we gave up. :icon_cry:

But we kept 2 of the puppies from his last litter and ended up also purchasing a registered Shih Tzu and a registered Maltese and discovered a hybrid breed called Mal Shi we had never heard of. Now I won't say what they sell for - we have full Maltese, Shih Tzu's and Mal Shi's - and several litters each year--but if you think it's the 'goose that laid the golden egg' financially, you should see our veterinarian bills sometimes. We have a waiting list though.

But honestly even if we didn't make a penny doing it this would make it all worthwhile. This Mal Shi boy was her 5th birthday present yesterday..... a customer sent this picture.
IMG_3779.jpg

Here are a couple other previous customers.
FB_IMG_1612600952076.jpg

received_256891742517930.jpeg
20210114_150038.jpg

Last edited:
Five years ago I found a scrawny-looking dirty little mutt near a Wal Mart wandering around lost. So I brought him home and she turned out to be a full-blood Maltese who we named Bernie, (I put it in the lost and found put some fliers out but no one ever answered) and he mated with our female Brussels Griffon, Sugar, and we sold the puppies for $75 - $100 each. They had 2 more litters after that and then Bernie followed our big dogs into the woods and never came back. ...after a week of searching we gave up. :icon_cry:

But we kept 2 of the puppies from his last litter and ended up also purchasing a registered Shih Tzu and a registered Maltese and discovered a hybrid breed called Mal Shi we had never heard of. Now I won't say what they sell for - we have full Maltese, Shih Tzu's and Mal Shi's - and several litters each year--but if you think it's the 'goose that laid the golden egg' financially, you should see our veterinarian bills sometimes. We have a waiting list though.

But honestly even if we didn't make a penny doing it this would make it all worthwhile. This Mal Shi boy was her 5th birthday present yesterday..... a customer sent this picture.
View attachment 453743
View attachment 453752

View attachment 453745View attachment 453749
He -- Bernie , not Bernice.:cool:

View attachment 453743
View attachment 453752

I think you'll appreciate this.
145663205_10225234059456709_3873345064987931590_n.jpg

View attachment 453743
View attachment 453752

View attachment 453774
I just bought a new (used) Ibanez guitar and a little Peavey practice amp yesterday at a pawn shop. $300 total..
20210206_060447.jpg

View attachment 453743
View attachment 453752

View attachment 453774
I just bought a new (used) Ibanez guitar and a little Peavey practice amp yesterday at a pawn shop. $300 total..View attachment 453777
I wish we still had pawn shops. :(

I would love Vermont from May until about Christmas time. About 1 month of snow-skiing is enough for me.
Summer in Vermont is awesome. Winter....not so much. I've been here for over 60 years and I still hate snow.
Been in PA over 60 years and I still hate winter altogether!

That said, Vermont was the best for skiing when I used to ski. Plus there's Bernie :)

Summer in Vermont is awesome. Winter....not so much. I've been here for over 60 years and I still hate snow.
I grew up in NE Ohio which wasn't much better.
Survived the Blizzard of 78....but it is the main reason I've been in the south the past 35 years and counting.
I wanna move to Nashville when I retire and play music all day.

Forum List

Back