A Point to Ponder

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Reading the text below caused me to wonder, of those who posts here regularly, how many actually engage in critical thinking. Many of those who post here daily express opinions which leave no room for debate, their mind is closed and judgment has been made.

Consider:

"Though the phrase critical thinking wasn’t coined until the early twentieth century, its principles can be traced back to Aristotle. The educator and psychologist John Dewey first used the phrase in its modern sense in his 1910 book How We Think, though there are instances of the words appearing together in texts before this time. Dewey defined critical thinking as “reflective thought,” requiring healthy skepticism, an open mind, and suspended judgment. Critical thinking is active, in contrast to passive acceptance of the ideas of others.

Relevant Quotations:

“The essence of critical thinking is suspended judgment; and the essence of this suspense is inquiry to determine the nature of the problem before proceeding to attempts at its solution. This, more than any other thing, transforms mere inference into tested inference, suggested conclusions into proof.”

No comments are expected, I found this here ( Where did the phrase "Critical Thinking" come from? | The Hot Word | Hot & Trending Words Daily Blog at Dictionary.com ) and believe some will find this interesting too.

Reading the text below caused me to wonder, of those who posts here regularly, how many actually engage in critical thinking. Many of those who post here daily express opinions which leave no room for debate, their mind is closed and judgment has been made.

Consider:

"Though the phrase critical thinking wasn’t coined until the early twentieth century, its principles can be traced back to Aristotle. The educator and psychologist John Dewey first used the phrase in its modern sense in his 1910 book How We Think, though there are instances of the words appearing together in texts before this time. Dewey defined critical thinking as “reflective thought,” requiring healthy skepticism, an open mind, and suspended judgment. Critical thinking is active, in contrast to passive acceptance of the ideas of others.

Relevant Quotations:

“The essence of critical thinking is suspended judgment; and the essence of this suspense is inquiry to determine the nature of the problem before proceeding to attempts at its solution. This, more than any other thing, transforms mere inference into tested inference, suggested conclusions into proof.”

No comments are expected, I found this here ( Where did the phrase "Critical Thinking" come from? | The Hot Word | Hot & Trending Words Daily Blog at Dictionary.com ) and believe some will find this interesting too.

So, do people who engage in critical thinking never reach a conclusion?

Pehaps when some people post their opinions here they have already gone through a process of critical thinking.

Don't throw your pearls to swine.

pearls20070522.jpg

• Banned

Consider:

Relevant Quotations:

So, do people who engage in critical thinking never reach a conclusion?

Pehaps when some people post their opinions here they have already gone through a process of critical thinking.

Perhaps. We can be fairly certain that dilloduck is not one of those.

I love the definition and the application to these boards.. Truly do.. But where I hang out on the boards, mainly in environment, science and such --- I have daily problems with your ----

Many of those who post here daily express opinions which leave no room for debate, their mind is closed and judgment has been made.

Why that adequately describes all those Human caused Global Warming zealots who claim the "Science is settled" and badger reasonable folks that still HAVE a skeptical view of that topic.

I also see it with the Social Security issue where (I guess) our more elderly folks just can't fathom that they've been lied to about all that loot in the Soc Sec "trust fund" (that doesn't exist). And when I post exact quotes from SSA and CBO telling them that every penny of a SS deficit comes from CURRENT taxpayers (the people who were robbed in the first place) --- they ignore the message and propagate the big lie..

I LOVE skeptical treatment of assertions. That's why I don't CARE if someone quotes Mother Jones or Michael Moore. It's just that much easier to refute. Would it ever be that EVERYONE on the board relishes an opportunity to dynamite the veracity of a Fox News link without ignoring it?

So --- I endorse what you're proposing.. But you should realize,, What's good for the goose..........

I love the definition and the application to these boards.. Truly do.. But where I hang out on the boards, mainly in environment, science and such --- I have daily problems with your ----

Many of those who post here daily express opinions which leave no room for debate, their mind is closed and judgment has been made.

Why that adequately describes all those Human caused Global Warming zealots who claim the "Science is settled" and badger reasonable folks that still HAVE a skeptical view of that topic.

I also see it with the Social Security issue where (I guess) our more elderly folks just can't fathom that they've been lied to about all that loot in the Soc Sec "trust fund" (that doesn't exist). And when I post exact quotes from SSA and CBO telling them that every penny of a SS deficit comes from CURRENT taxpayers (the people who were robbed in the first place) --- they ignore the message and propagate the big lie..

I LOVE skeptical treatment of assertions. That's why I don't CARE if someone quotes Mother Jones or Michael Moore. It's just that much easier to refute. Would it ever be that EVERYONE on the board relishes an opportunity to dynamite the veracity of a Fox News link without ignoring it?

So --- I endorse what you're proposing.. But you should realize,, What's good for the goose..........

Yep. As someone who enjoys science too we both know research is the testing of a hypothesis, a theory and even a law. I do believe humanity has had an impact on the temperature of the Oceans which impacts weather around the globe. Do I think there are other forces at work, of course.

Yep. As someone who enjoys science too we both know research is the testing of a hypothesis, a theory and even a law. I do believe humanity has had an impact on the temperature of the Oceans which impacts weather around the globe. Do I think there are other forces at work, of course.

The problem of course is there is no evidence that supports the theory that the oceans have warmed. A critical thinker looks at the evidence and then thinks. You left out a step..

The problem of course is there is no evidence that supports the theory that the oceans have warmed. A critical thinker looks at the evidence and then thinks. You left out a step..

Of course the possibility exists I simply haven't read an authoritative work which disputes the warming. Note I did not claim a source for the warming, only that warming exists. See this link:

Global Climate Change Indicators

I'll be happy to read something which disputes the data NOAA reports. And since you're so sure that I left out the thinking part, I too am sure you must have evaluated date to prove me wrong. I'll be happy to read the data you must have at hand to prove the contrary to my belief, which you will post shortly.

Of course the possibility exists I simply haven't read an authoritative work which disputes the warming. Note I did not claim a source for the warming, only that warming exists. See this link:

I'll be happy to read something which disputes the data NOAA reports. And since you're so sure that I left out the thinking part, I too am sure you must have evaluated date to prove me wrong. I'll be happy to read the data you must have at hand to prove the contrary to my belief, which you will post shortly.

This is the latest ocean temp graphic I have (I'll get a more recent one for you but it will be close to the same) and as you can see the temp anomaly is low, very low. As it has been for the last ten years running with one blip up in 2007.

All of a sudden I can't post attachments. As soon as they fix that I'll post it.

This is the latest ocean temp graphic I have (I'll get a more recent one for you but it will be close to the same) and as you can see the temp anomaly is low, very low. As it has been for the last ten years running with one blip up in 2007.

All of a sudden I can't post attachments. As soon as they fix that I'll post it.

Okay, I'll check back again later.

Forum List

Back