A "real" insturment

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
A staple of American elementary school music programs for generations, the recorder is often looked upon as a stepping stone to a "real instrument" however has Lucie Horsch demonstrates, the recorder's case for legitimacy is a solid one. (Now...if only I could make my recorder sound this way) :oops:

Last edited:
A staple of American elementary school music programs for generations, the recorder is often looked upon as a stepping stone to a "real instrument" however has Lucie Horsch demonstrates, the recorder's case for legitimacy is a solid one. (Now...if only I could make my recorder sound this way) :oops:

The Recorder is part of the Family of Flutes that also takes in the Backpipes, penny whistles and many other medevial and North American wind instruments. I got started on one and progressed to Clarinet, Sax and Oboe before I changed to stringed instruments. If you kids doesn't start out that way, they are missing out on a wonderful world. I never placed much weight on the Recorder but learned later that it started a very enjoyable life later on of music. Even if you child decides not to progress into music, at least give them the chance.

My iPhone 7 records me pretty good- I bought a Shure MV88 microphone that plugs directly into the phone which also provides an app for changing the mic settings and it has a video app as well. Both are a tad better than the iPhone original- getting a perfect home recording is proving to be a challenge though, so I ordered a Shure57 instrument mic which I'll use with my Fishman Mini loud Box amp and see if I can find a better balance-

My iPhone 7 records me pretty good- I bought a Shure MV88 microphone that plugs directly into the phone which also provides an app for changing the mic settings and it has a video app as well. Both are a tad better than the iPhone original- getting a perfect home recording is proving to be a challenge though, so I ordered a Shure57 instrument mic which I'll use with my Fishman Mini loud Box amp and see if I can find a better balance-

Funny, when I was in entertainment, the SM57 was one of the top of the line Mics for voice and it was only for XLR. Looks like they reused the model number and name. But it does come in two flavors. One for instrument only with a very tight cone (90 degree cone) and the other is the ones I used for both instrument and voice with a 120 degree cone (not an omni).

My iPhone 7 records me well..I have to buy several recorders and donated several it was when I had to buy xylophones and drum sets it started costing money.

New Topics

Forum List

Back