Zone1 A Tipping Conundrum

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I see a lot of nasty remarks about tipping on my FB feed and on Quora. Many foreign-born Americans hate the tipping custom and refuse to tip more than a few bucks at most, and many Americans resent having to pay more than what the menu requires. Some say that, if you have to stand in line to order your food (or drive to a drive-thru), then NO TIP, period.

My own view is shaped by the Fair Labor Standards Act, which creates a different MW for "tipped employees" ($2.13/hr, if you are counting), so I tend not to to tip people who are not "tipped employees" under the FLSA. This EXCLUDES baristas, hotel staff, AMTRAK porters, and similar people in a quasi-serving position. My wife finds this irritating and cheap, but I have my principles. Or so I tell myself.

But I'm in a quandary about one situation that I encounter with some regularity. There is a restaurant locally (I think it is a chain), called "Jason's Deli." At Jason's you stand in line to order, they take your order and give you an empty cup, and you get your own drink. THEN you go to your table and the food is delivered to you (usually with a smile, and "Can I get you anything else?" which is genuine). When you have finished, you leave your detritus on the table or counter, and they clean up after you.

While the people who serve your food and clean up are not "tipped employees" under FLSA, it seems to me that an argument could be made that they "deserve" a tip. They are doing things that you would have to do for yourself if you were at a standard Fast Food joint, so they are providing a service that has some value, and are doing it with grace.

But NOBODY tips at Jason's. At least that I have seen. They don't even have a tip jar.

I think they/we should. I will in the future. What do YOU think?

Sorry, you don't get a tip if you are just handing me something across the counter and taking my money.

One of the order-out places I frequent has the tip screen come up when I pay, I just ignore it.

Questions about tipping? Ask your parents or if they are dead do as they did. It's not that fuckin' complicated.

LOL.....You wait, before long they will have a tip screen for when you go in and pay your taxes......People are so fuckin' stupid these days.

What do YOU think?

What do I think? I think you should chuck all your rules on tipping. A person should tip not based on rules or what they make but on service when they feel a person DESERVES a tip for some action or deed where they went above the call to make your experience extra-special and pleasant. Simple as that.

What do I think? I think you should chuck all your rules on tipping. A person should tip not based on rules or what they make but on service when they feel a person DESERVES a tip for some action or deed where they went above the call to make your experience extra-special and pleasant. Simple as that.
So here's my question to you. AMTRAK porters make on average, more than $25/hr. They can retire in their fifties with a generous pension which we, the taxpayers subsidize no matter what those fukkers claim.

Would you tip an AMTRAK Porter for simply doing his job? (I would not, I do not).

So here's my question to you. AMTRAK porters make on average, more than $25/hr. They can retire in their fifties with a generous pension which we, the taxpayers subsidize no matter what those fukkers claim.
No wonder AMTRAK is always going broke. That said, I rode the AMTRAK across the country once and back again and generally thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the people were wonderful.

Would you tip an AMTRAK Porter for simply doing his job? (I would not, I do not).
Anyone tipped is tipped for simply doing their job! And it is irrelevant what they make and none of my business to decide if they are overpaid or not. Their employer decides that. The question of tipping should really come down to the quality and degree of the service and to what VALUE it had to YOU on making your experience there better, more satisfying and pleasing over that which you would have otherwise ordinarily had.

I was once in a restaurant eating dinner with a friend one night and a magician came up to our table and performed a trick; I grew up studying magic and know a fair amount about it and this trick completely fooled and impressed me. Slight of hand two feet in front of me and I did not see how it was done. It was a really good illusion. I have no idea who he was, whether he was working for the restaurant or how he was being paid. I tipped him $20 for the 30 second trick because I thought it was worth it, and I know how much hard work goes into these tricks. He gave no indication of expecting any tip. I hoped it helped him along in his cause.

So tipping really should be an EXPRESSION of appreciation for the VALUE received.

No wonder AMTRAK is always going broke. That said, I rode the AMTRAK across the country once and back again and generally thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the people were wonderful.

Anyone tipped is tipped for simply doing their job! And it is irrelevant what they make and none of my business to decide if they are overpaid or not. Their employer decides that. The question of tipping should really come down to the quality and degree of the service and to what VALUE it had to YOU on making your experience there better, more satisfying and pleasing over that which you would have otherwise ordinarily had.

I was once in a restaurant eating dinner with a friend one night and a magician came up to our table and performed a trick; I grew up studying magic and know a fair amount about it and this trick completely fooled and impressed me. Slight of hand two feet in front of me and I did not see how it was done. It was a really good illusion. I have no idea who he was, whether he was working for the restaurant or how he was being paid. I tipped him $20 for the 30 second trick because I thought it was worth it, and I know how much hard work goes into these tricks. He gave no indication of expecting any tip. I hoped it helped him along in his cause.

So tipping really should be an EXPRESSION of appreciation for the VALUE received.

You are missing MY point, for sure. There is a LEGAL difference between "tipped" and "non-tipped" employees; they have different Minimum Wages ($7.25 vs $2.13). TIPPED employees like servers are legally entitled to tips (if their tips don't come up to $7.25/hr, the employer is required to supplement the tip income), non-tipped employees are not. Hence if a server does a competent job waiting on your table, then you are morally obliged to tip them appropriately - currently considered to be about 20% of the gross bill. For non-tipped employees,
tipping is in no way required, and should be reserved for extraordinary service.

Accordingly, if an AMTRAK porter does his job competently, no tip is appropriate. If he goes "above and beyond," then think about it.

You are missing MY point, for sure. There is a LEGAL difference between "tipped" and "non-tipped" employees; they have different Minimum Wages ($7.25 vs $2.13). TIPPED employees like servers are legally entitled to tips (if their tips don't come up to $7.25/hr, the employer is required to supplement the tip income), non-tipped employees are not. Hence if a server does a competent job waiting on your table, then you are morally obliged to tip them appropriately - currently considered to be about 20% of the gross bill. For non-tipped employees,
tipping is in no way required, and should be reserved for extraordinary service. Accordingly, if an AMTRAK porter does his job competently, no tip is appropriate. If he goes "above and beyond," then think about it.

I know that. My point is that there shouldn't be any "tipped" employees. That is just an out for the employer. In Europe, they are insulted if you try to tip them. My point is that employers ought to pay a commensurate wage, then leave the tipping not because you feel /obligated/ but because the service was truly good, that way, everyone makes out and good service is encouraged and rewarded.

I tip or don't tip whoever I want based on the value they bring to making my time there good, regardless of what they make.

I see a lot of nasty remarks about tipping on my FB feed and on Quora. Many foreign-born Americans hate the tipping custom and refuse to tip more than a few bucks at most, and many Americans resent having to pay more than what the menu requires. Some say that, if you have to stand in line to order your food (or drive to a drive-thru), then NO TIP, period.

My own view is shaped by the Fair Labor Standards Act, which creates a different MW for "tipped employees" ($2.13/hr, if you are counting), so I tend not to to tip people who are not "tipped employees" under the FLSA. This EXCLUDES baristas, hotel staff, AMTRAK porters, and similar people in a quasi-serving position. My wife finds this irritating and cheap, but I have my principles. Or so I tell myself.

But I'm in a quandary about one situation that I encounter with some regularity. There is a restaurant locally (I think it is a chain), called "Jason's Deli." At Jason's you stand in line to order, they take your order and give you an empty cup, and you get your own drink. THEN you go to your table and the food is delivered to you (usually with a smile, and "Can I get you anything else?" which is genuine). When you have finished, you leave your detritus on the table or counter, and they clean up after you.

While the people who serve your food and clean up are not "tipped employees" under FLSA, it seems to me that an argument could be made that they "deserve" a tip. They are doing things that you would have to do for yourself if you were at a standard Fast Food joint, so they are providing a service that has some value, and are doing it with grace.

But NOBODY tips at Jason's. At least that I have seen. They don't even have a tip jar.

I think they/we should. I will in the future. What do YOU think?

I don't eat out. I don't like people like IM2 spitting in my food or rubbing poop in it cause they are racist scum. And even if they are white or Mex...I don't like people handling my food. I make all my own food, brew all my own coffee. Just started a batch of ginger beer fermenting today. If a tradeserson does some work, I may tip some. But I am not rich and not a big tipper even if I wanted to be cause of finances.

bread 9.23.24.jpg

Been baking all my own bread since 2-98. Baked this 3 hours ago. Once in a while if I run across a frozen custard shop, I will have one. But no tips in the jar. If I would ever go to a restaurant to take someone out I would leave the standard tip, whatever that is. I usually ask the person how much to leave. Last time for that was around 2015.

biden putin ride.jpeg

Forum List

Back