A Wave of Sewing Jobs as Orders Pile Up at U.S. Factories

Rising tide of demands for fabrics made in the USA.
The issue was finding workers.

“The sad truth is, we put ads in the paper and not many people show up,” said Mike Miller, Airtex’s chief executive

Read story @ http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/b...at-us-factories.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

:cuckoo:

It turns out that this is one of the highly skilled technical jobs of the future. I'm not kidding. You can't import sewing machine operators on H-1B visas (they are limited to college graduates and fashion models, and I'm not kidding about the fashion model exception). So as these jobs return the demand for machinists and pipefitters, for example are also increasing. It takes a couple of years to drag the old guys out of retirement and tell the JCs to shut down the computer programmer courses and fire the welding back up (pun intended), but we will get the supply of skilled manual labor back up. This is the wave of the future, and the jobs are better than McJobs. They will be cyclical and there will be a labor surplus in the next downturn for all these people, just like aeronautical engineers. Who'd a thunk?

Rising tide of demands for fabrics made in the USA.
The issue was finding workers.

“The sad truth is, we put ads in the paper and not many people show up,” said Mike Miller, Airtex’s chief executive

Read story @ http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/b...at-us-factories.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

:cuckoo:

It turns out that this is one of the highly skilled technical jobs of the future. I'm not kidding. You can't import sewing machine operators on H-1B visas (they are limited to college graduates and fashion models, and I'm not kidding about the fashion model exception). So as these jobs return the demand for machinists and pipefitters, for example are also increasing. It takes a couple of years to drag the old guys out of retirement and tell the JCs to shut down the computer programmer courses and fire the welding back up (pun intended), but we will get the supply of skilled manual labor back up. This is the wave of the future, and the jobs are better than McJobs. They will be cyclical and there will be a labor surplus in the next downturn for all these people, just like aeronautical engineers. Who'd a thunk?
I would not a thunk. Nice surprise.

Forum List

Back