A Zionist Soldier Shoot Dead Wounded Palestinian

Geneva Conventions (1949)
Pursuant to common Article 3(1) of the 1949 Geneva Conventions,
[p]ersons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placedhors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.
To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:
(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture.
fnIcon.gif

Additional Protocol I
Article 41(1) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I provides: “A person who is recognized or who, in the circumstances, should be recognized to be hors de combat shall not be made the object of attack.”
fnIcon.gif

Under Article 85(3)(e) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I, “making a person the object of attack in the knowledge that he is hors de combat” is a grave breach of the Protocol.
fnIcon.gif

Additional Protocol II (draft)
Article 7(1) of the draft Additional Protocol II submitted by the ICRC to the CDDH provided: “It is forbidden to kill, injure, ill-treat or torture an adversary hors de combat.”
fnIcon.gif

ICRC service

"in the knowledge"....

And how do we know the soldier didn't fear the guy carried an explosive belt, or left with enough breath in him to stab again?

If you can, answer without sarcasm.

And I ask this question for the simple reason that we've seen situations before.

[p]ersons taking no active part in the hostilities, including members of armed forces who have laid down their arms and those placedhors de combat by sickness, wounds, detention, or any other cause, shall in all circumstances be treated humanely, without any adverse distinction founded on race, colour, religion or faith, sex, birth or wealth, or any other similar criteria.
To this end, the following acts are and shall remain prohibited at any time and in any place whatsoever with respect to the above-mentioned persons:
(a) violence to life and person, in particular murder of all kinds, mutilation, cruel treatment and torture.
fnIcon.gif

Additional Protocol I
Article 41(1) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I provides: “A person who is recognized or who, in the circumstances, should be recognized to be hors de combat shall not be made the object of attack.”
fnIcon.gif

Under Article 85(3)(e) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I, “making a person the object of attack in the knowledge that he is hors de combat” is a grave breach of the Protocol.
fnIcon.gif

Article 7(1) of the draft Additional Protocol II submitted by the ICRC to the CDDH provided: “It is forbidden to kill, injure, ill-treat or torture an adversary hors de combat.”
fnIcon.gif

ICRC service

"in the knowledge"....

And how do we know the soldier didn't fear the guy carried an explosive belt, or left with enough breath in him to stab again?

If you can, answer without sarcasm.

And I ask this question for the simple reason that we've seen situations before.

Palestinians never learn. If you don't want dead Palestinians, don't attack Israelis.

Mod Message:

Thought about closing this thread. But there still is topical discussion.

Just way too much personal flaming with no content.
If you can't do the topic --- get out..

bump.. Couple folks bumped out thread.
Don't get "bumped"..

Last edited:
fnIcon.gif

Additional Protocol I
fnIcon.gif

fnIcon.gif

fnIcon.gif

ICRC service

Hors de combat, literally meaning "outside the fight," is a French term used in diplomacy and international law to refer to combatants who are incapable of performing their ability to wage war. Examples include fighter pilots or aircrews parachuting from their disabled aircraft, as well as the sick, wounded, detained, or otherwise disabled. Combatants hors de combat are normally granted special protections according to the laws of war, sometimes including prisoner-of-war status, and therefore officially became non-combatants. Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions, unlawful combatants hors de combat are granted the same privilege and to be treated with humanity while in captivity but unlike lawful combatants, they are subject to trial and punishment, which includes execution.

Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions defines:[1]

A person is 'hors de combat' if:

(a) he is in the power of an adverse Party;
(b) he clearly expresses an intention to surrender; or
(c) he has been rendered unconscious or is otherwise incapacitated by wounds or sickness, and therefore is incapable of defending himself;
provided that in any of these cases he abstains from any hostile act and does not attempt to escape.

The soldier in question was under the belief that the wounded combatant continued to pose a threat and was attempting a hostile act.

fnIcon.gif

Additional Protocol I
fnIcon.gif

fnIcon.gif

fnIcon.gif

ICRC service

Hors de combat, literally meaning "outside the fight," is a French term used in diplomacy and international law to refer to combatants who are incapable of performing their ability to wage war. Examples include fighter pilots or aircrews parachuting from their disabled aircraft, as well as the sick, wounded, detained, or otherwise disabled. Combatants hors de combat are normally granted special protections according to the laws of war, sometimes including prisoner-of-war status, and therefore officially became non-combatants. Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions, unlawful combatants hors de combat are granted the same privilege and to be treated with humanity while in captivity but unlike lawful combatants, they are subject to trial and punishment, which includes execution.

Protocol I to the Geneva Conventions defines:[1]

A person is 'hors de combat' if:

(a) he is in the power of an adverse Party;
(b) he clearly expresses an intention to surrender; or
(c) he has been rendered unconscious or is otherwise incapacitated by wounds or sickness, and therefore is incapable of defending himself;
provided that in any of these cases he abstains from any hostile act and does not attempt to escape.

The soldier in question was under the belief that the wounded combatant continued to pose a threat and was attempting a hostile act.

It's obvious fanger, that you've never come into contact with deadly terrorists.

Certainly, according to Jewish law, you can kill someone who is trying to kill you or others. All terrorists fall into that category. I don't know if it's a mitzva though. (Mitzva=good deed and/or commandment of G-d.)

The difference between permissible and obligatory?

Shooting the wounded is a War crime

Shooting a terrorist is a Mitzva.

Certainly, according to Jewish law, you can kill someone who is trying to kill you or others. All terrorists fall into that category. I don't know if it's a mitzva though. (Mitzva=good deed and/or commandment of G-d.)

It is. I'm sure you're familiar with Din Rodef. The Chazal said that according to this, the law is of Nitan Lehatzilo Benafsho. If you can stop someone from pursuing your brother and you don't, you pass the law of "Do not stand on your brother's blood," which is a sin. The Senhadrin said that only when it is clear the man is of no risk (something we don't know, since there were cases that terrorists who at first seemed neutralized but then rose and succeeded in killing Jews, this case is still unclear) he can be considered a killer, and even in that case, he's to be pardoned and not to be put on a scale of normal killer if his intention was saving a soul.

So those who say it's against Judaism are fools. I'm not Rabetzin and even I know that.:hmpf:

It is. I'm sure you're familiar with Din Rodef. The Chazal said that according to this, the law is of Nitan Lehatzilo Benafsho. If you can stop someone from pursuing your brother and you don't, you pass the law of "Do not stand on your brother's blood," which is a sin. The Senhadrin said that only when it is clear the man is of no risk (something we don't know, since there were cases that terrorists who at first seemed neutralized but then rose and succeeded in killing Jews, this case is still unclear) he can be considered a killer, and even in that case, he's to be pardoned and not to be put on a scale of normal killer if his intention was saving a soul.

So those who say it's against Judaism are fools. I'm not Rabetzin and even I know that.:hmpf:

That has implications beyond the immediate does-he-have-a-bomb-or-not, yes? How many terrorists have been imprisoned and then released in a deal and then come back to commit more terror? How many times are you obligated to fight the same terrorist?

Not saying I necessarily morally agree or disagree with the idea -- but it does pose an interesting moral problem.

I´m not ¨threating¨ anyone, I´m stating a fact

Ce1YL4CW8AAODzW.jpg

Elor Azarya

Last edited:
Army Raids Home of Man Who Filmed Hebron Execution
The videographer, activist Imad Abu Shamsiyya, said that soldiers broke into his home in Tel Rumeida, and inspected the cards of the local and international activists who were staying in the house, as well.

The activists gathered there after Israeli settlers directed death threats against Imad, as they published his photos with “Most Wanted” written on them, in addition to killing threats.

Last Thursday, according to the PNN, Imad recorded a shocking video showing an Israeli soldier, who was later identified as Elor Azarya, executing a helpless 21-year-old Palestinian who was already shot and bleeding, after an Israeli settler told him, “This asshole here is still breathing.”
Army Raids Home of Man Who Filmed Hebron Execution - International Middle East Media Center

Forum List

Back