Abilene mother outraged after salesman takes daughter with Down Syndrome to dealership to buy car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
A mother is upset at a business because the business obeyed the Americans with Disabilities Act by not discriminating against her daughter who has Down Syndrome.

Abilene mother outraged after salesman takes daughter with Down Syndrome to dealership to buy car​

July 18, 2024

ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC)- Abilene resident Angie Martin is a working mother of 7. She came home Tuesday night to a disturbing scene, her third youngest, 27-year-old Hope Martin nowhere to be found. Hope is diagnosed with Down Syndrome, and her mother has full legal guardianship over her, so when she was notified that a sales person with All-Star Honda had picked up Hope and driven her to the dealership.

Martin says she was beside herself as to how it could have happened.

“My heart’s beating faster just thinking about it. I got a text from her father, and he was like, ‘I got a couple texts from someone at Honda’ she had apparently called them multiple times and said I want to buy a car,” Martin told KTAB/KRBC.

Hope’s desire to drive is something she and her mother have discussed before. Martin says she believed she had adequately conveyed to her daughter that the decision is not up to her but rather State motor vehicle institutions, so hearing that Hope had carried out this plan and the sales person did not ring any alarm bells was upsetting.

“As you are as a mom, I was so angry that this had happened and that a strange man would have the audacity to come and take my daughter, who obviously is cognitively impaired, out of my home without my consent, let alone to do something so drastic,” said Martin.

A mother is upset at a business because the business obeyed the Americans with Disabilities Act by not discriminating against her daughter who has Down Syndrome.

Abilene mother outraged after salesman takes daughter with Down Syndrome to dealership to buy car​

July 18, 2024

ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC)- Abilene resident Angie Martin is a working mother of 7. She came home Tuesday night to a disturbing scene, her third youngest, 27-year-old Hope Martin nowhere to be found. Hope is diagnosed with Down Syndrome, and her mother has full legal guardianship over her, so when she was notified that a sales person with All-Star Honda had picked up Hope and driven her to the dealership.

Martin says she was beside herself as to how it could have happened.

“My heart’s beating faster just thinking about it. I got a text from her father, and he was like, ‘I got a couple texts from someone at Honda’ she had apparently called them multiple times and said I want to buy a car,” Martin told KTAB/KRBC.

Hope’s desire to drive is something she and her mother have discussed before. Martin says she believed she had adequately conveyed to her daughter that the decision is not up to her but rather State motor vehicle institutions, so hearing that Hope had carried out this plan and the sales person did not ring any alarm bells was upsetting.

“As you are as a mom, I was so angry that this had happened and that a strange man would have the audacity to come and take my daughter, who obviously is cognitively impaired, out of my home without my consent, let alone to do something so drastic,” said Martin.
Did you happen to read this fairly salient point from her mother?

“What legislation attempts to do is to call us to a higher standard, not give us an excuse for our failures. That’s not why it exists…I’m sure that they’re on the learning curve and that they’re rethinking things and examining things and I think that good will come of this,” Martin responded to the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back