Adults Do Not Play Video Games

Iron Head

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2015
First off, video games are nothing more than toys. They are for passing time, they are games, and they deal in fantasy. They are the very definition of what makes up a toy. Playing video games is no different than playing with Legos of Lincoln Logs.

Are these toys some more advanced than children's toys? I know that "gamers" will say yes. However, you have got o remember that kids 10-12 years old play the same video games that adults do and they play them just as well or better. I have kids and they have friends. Unfortunately I have to shell out money to buy these things. Occasionally I am subjected to having to play with them in the execution of dad duties.

Thus, "gamers" are spending hours playing with toys that are enjoyed regularly by children in the 10-12 year old age group.

Now imagine how it would be perceived if adults were playing with other toys routinely enjoyed by kids in the 10-12 year old age group. Here are some of those kiddie games and activities:

- riding bikes
- playing pretend war
- making and flying paper airplanes
- playing with toy cars and RC cars
- playing hide and seek
- throwing around a football
-playing dodgeball

If an adult were to regularly engage in these activities they would be referred to a mental health professional for an evaluation. They would most certainly be deemed a man-child or woman-child and appropriately shunned by society.

Thus, I submit that adults playing video games for the purpose of personal amusement have got something seriously wrong with them on a psychological and/or emotional level. One would think that something traumatic happened in their childhood to arrest their development, such as sexual abuse. But, frankly, childish behavior and immaturity seems to be widespread, and even embraced, by today's millennial kids.

Whatever the case, clearly we have failed our children and our nation by producing an entire generation of slobbering morons who still play with children's toys well into adulthood.

Riding bikes is a kiddie games and activity? Not hardly. Here I was under the impression that doing was great exercise and could be a career if one was good enough. lol.

Everyone has their forms of escapism and for some this is their escape.

There is an audience rating for games just as with movies. Some games are rated for 'Mature' or over 17, some are rated 'Adult' or over 18. Rating categories, content descriptors, and interactive elements from ESRB

Video games are not what they used to be. Super Nintendo is long gone although there are many similar available today for younger kids. The top rated video games of today tell a story just like a movie except you get to be in the movie.

The Call of Duty franchise has sold almost 200 million copies in total with $11 billion in revenue. Most of the games rated M for Mature.

Its simple, you don't like something don't do it. A lot of adults don't like reading. So don't read.

To each their own!

When I was a kid, I couldn't get enough of video games & computer games. My parents forced me to study & stay away from them, but I really wanted to play them. As I've aged, videos games & computer games no longer bring me joy. I've played them, but it was like forcefully playing out of obligation. So, I just quit them. It just seemed stupid, pointless, boring, dull.

The same goes for cartoon. When you are a kid, you love watching cartoon. As you age, it is rather stupid & childish unless the theme is intended for the whole family like Disney cartoons. I still watched cartoon even when I was college age, but that was mostly because it was more convenient to watch than TV series. I was watching out of boredom, like "better to watch this than watch nothing at all". Like, my school had a cartoon club but had no TV series club. I was not even aware of Netflix back then. I also still played video game until like a year ago, but I don't play any video game or computer game at all these days. I don't watch any cartoon neither.

I think you have a point. It's about your soul growing tired of (or not tolerating) an immature range of cheap stimulation. However, as for the children, they are probably going to love them.

When I was a kid, I couldn't get enough of video games & computer games. My parents forced me to study & stay away from them, but I really wanted to play them. As I've aged, videos games & computer games no longer bring me joy. I've played them, but it was like forcefully playing out of obligation. So, I just quit them. It just seemed stupid, pointless, boring, dull.

The same goes for cartoon. When you are a kid, you love watching cartoon. As you age, it is rather stupid & childish unless the theme is intended for the whole family like Disney cartoons. I still watched cartoon even when I was college age, but that was mostly because it was more convenient to watch than TV series. I was watching out of boredom, like "better to watch this than watch nothing at all". Like, my school had a cartoon club but had no TV series club. I was not even aware of Netflix back then. I also still played video game until like a year ago, but I don't play any video game or computer game at all these days. I don't watch any cartoon neither.

I think you have a point. It's about your soul growing tired of (or not tolerating) an immature range of cheap stimulation. However, as for the children, they are probably going to love them.
I started with Command & Conquer and GTA 1, creating red, bloody skid marks. I remember, when you set a passerby on fire and shot him while he was still screaming and running around as living torch, you got extra points. I still like both series. But If I would have something else to do, I would not play as much as I do.

Watching Family Guy and The Simpsons is not like watching kids cartoons. The humor is adult and they can get away with so much more because it is a cartoon. And they can throw a hundreds jokes at you in a couple minutes.

I understand to a degree. I used to love car racing, NASCAR, the Indy 500. But after a while its just the same cars going around in the same circle lap after lap year after year. I think car racing is for adult kids. But who cares, people enjoy so why whine about it.

You get one life, do whatever makes you happy as long as you aren't harming other people. Kids used to make weird faces when they were younger but grow out of it? As Jim Carey said some people make a damn good living doing it.

I think the average age in the US is over 30 as well.
The reality is that many of us grew up around the time that video games were essentially mainstreamed. As we grow older so to does the average age of the gamer.

A lot of the time for younger generations is occupied in social media rather than games. it is one of the reasons, IMHO, that games are trying to integrate the social media aspect seamlessly into how they work these days.

Or like watching football, right?

Wait?

Nope, same thing - you are just an idiot.
Typical mindless defensiveness.
Nope - just facts that you are going to be hard pressed to deal with in your denial.

I notice that you did not explain the difference in football and gaming.
Are you that fucking consumed with your toys that you need an explanation of the difference between a video game and a sport?

Forum List

Back