Aging expatriates returning to Cuba

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
WASHINGTON — A growing number of aging Cuban exiles are returning to their birthplace, no longer willing to wait for the end of the Castro regime or to outlast the U.S. embargo before seeing their homeland.

Among them is Alfonso Fanjul, a sugar baron from Palm Beach who, at 76, recently revealed that he has been quietly visiting the island of his youth, setting off a backlash from embargo backers.

"It's rampant, the number of people going back of my generation," said Silvia Wilhelm, 67, of Miami, who left Cuba in 1961 and now leads cultural tours to the island. "My generation, and Alfy Fanjul's generation, we left very young. The majority are happy they left, but they don't want to die without going home."

I personally am hoping for an end to the embargo. I think the best thing for Cuba is to inject some American influence.

My grandmother and her brother will never return even if they get the chance despite it being their homeland. They're now the proudest Americans you'll ever meet and have long lost interest in returning to what is no longer home. Like with many Cuban families there was a huge rift torn between those that left and those that stayed. I'm hoping to get my mother back to her hometown and visit it myself one day. But it's a sad state of affairst Cuba continues to find itself in.

Thanks for the response. We agree that Cuba needs some American influence. Nevertheless, I still believe Castro did the right thing by getting rid of the Batista regime. Most Cubans were more oppressed under Batista than they ever were under Castro.

Your grandmother and her brother should return. The Castro brothers are not vindictive and do not seem to object to any of this repatriation of sorts. BTW, I hear Cuban medical care is free. Perhaps, for some, Cuba may be the answer to America's alleged doctor shortage!

Cuba is on my bucket list. :thup:

If the embargo were to be lifted, it should be done in carefully measured steps. The surest way to destroy such a pure culture is to inundate it with capitalistic Americana.

Thanks for the response. We agree that Cuba needs some American influence. Nevertheless, I still believe Castro did the right thing by getting rid of the Batista regime. Most Cubans were more oppressed under Batista than they ever were under Castro.

Your grandmother and her brother should return. The Castro brothers are not vindictive and do not seem to object to any of this repatriation of sorts. BTW, I hear Cuban medical care is free. Perhaps, for some, Cuba may be the answer to America's alleged doctor shortage!

I think you're coming from a good place but I have to correct you. Have you seen Cuba lately? And what do you mean the Castro brothers aren't vindictive?! You have to be willing to look past a WHOLE LOT to come to that conclusion.

I've met 2 great-uncles of mine that were ALLOWED by Cuba to visit for a limited amount of time. They both put on 30+ lbs. of weight in just under 3 months. Cuba is in shambles and
Castro has a special place reserved for him in hell.

You want to talk about the healthcare there? What did you watch "Sicko" and think that Cuba is an enlightened wonderland? Look at the way those people live!

I think you're coming from a good place but I have to correct you. Have you seen Cuba lately? And what do you mean the Castro brothers aren't vindictive?! You have to be willing to look past a WHOLE LOT to come to that conclusion.

I've met 2 great-uncles of mine that were ALLOWED by Cuba to visit for a limited amount of time. They both put on 30+ lbs. of weight in just under 3 months. Cuba is in shambles and

You want to talk about the healthcare there? What did you watch "Sicko" and think that Cuba is an enlightened wonderland? Look at the way those people live!

No, I haven't seen Cuba lately and by your own admission, neither have you.

When 350,000 Cuban expatriates can return home over the years without fear of being detained, harassed or arrested, that shows tolerance, not vindictiveness. Why did you look past that?

Now if your uncles visited Cuba and got fattened up, the food must have been delicious.
Besides, now they probably fit in better with the rest of America, most of whom are over weight. BTW, was Cuba in shambles before or after your great uncles came and went? Did they gain THAT much weight? :lol:

Castro has done much good in the world by establishing medical schools and training med students to be doctors from all over the world, including the United States.

How do native Cuban's live? Obviously they are happy. They stayed when they could have left. Obviously they have enough food, water and shelter if your uncles gained 30 lbs in such a short time.

When 350,000 Cuban expatriates can return home over the years without fear of being detained, harassed or arrested, that shows tolerance, not vindictiveness. Why did you look past that?

^Seriously? That's your definition of tolerance? That people can go there without the government trying to kill them? You must be kidding.

Now if your uncles visited Cuba and got fattened up, the food must have been delicious.
Besides, now they probably fit in better with the rest of America, most of whom are over weight. BTW, was Cuba in shambles before or after your great uncles came and went? Did they gain THAT much weight? :lol:

^Those uncles CAME TO AMERICA and got fattened up. Not the other way around. You got confused. I'll agree with you that Cuban food is delicious but apparently there isn't much of it down there these days.

Castro has done much good in the world by establishing medical schools and training med students to be doctors from all over the world, including the United States.

^Castro saved a lot of money by turning his country into a 3rd world nation. He had to put it into something. And he succeeded in making his medical establishment the best of the 3rd world countries of the world. Good for him I guess.

How do native Cuban's live? Obviously they are happy. They stayed when they could have left. Obviously they have enough food, water and shelter if your uncles gained 30 lbs in such a short time.

Again you were completely wrong about my uncles. And hey they must be THRILLED to be living there right now! The government JUST allowed them to buy new cars again!!! Unfortunately none of the people can afford them because:
1.) They have no money
2.) The cars cost more than triple what they would anywhere else in the world because of state policies
3.) They're not all doctors the way Michael Moore wants you to believe

You have no idea about Cuba. You've read or seen a bunch of biased nonsense about it and are incredibly naive about what's happened there. That country had the potential to be the jewel of the western world. A tropical paradise blessed with countless natural resources! Instead the locals can't even own a boat to go fishing with (literally, look it up. They're not allowed to have boats because the government thinks they'll try to escape).

You've got a lot to learn.
[MENTION=31715]JQPublic[/MENTION]

Last edited:

TheOldSchool said:
Seriously? That's your definition of tolerance? That people can go there without the government trying to kill them? You must be kidding.
Yes, that is one example of tolerance. That former Cuban citizens can go back home without being detained, harassed or arrested. You threw that murder thing in there… not me! And NO… I am NOT kidding!

TheOldSchool said:
Those uncles CAME TO AMERICA and got fattened up. Not the other way around. You got confused. I'll agree with you that Cuban food is delicious but apparently there isn't much of it down there these days.
No, I am not confused. I responded to what you wrote:
TheOldSchool said:
Your writing style is confusing, not my interpretation of it!

TheOldSchool said:
Castro saved a lot of money by turning his country into a 3rd world nation. He had to put it into something. And he succeeded in making his medical establishment the best of the 3rd world countries of the world. Good for him I guess.
:LOL: For the majority of Cubans, Cuba was a third world nation when Batista and his rich pals were exploiting every resource and catering to the rich clientele from the USA.
http://vanowiki.wikispaces.com/Group+6+Cuban+Revolution

TheOldSchool said:
Again you were completely wrong about my uncles.
Er…yeah, right! Learn how to express yourself better. Your quote would lead any normal person to conclude they got fattened up in Cuba!
TheOldSchool said:
And hey they must be THRILLED to be living there right now! The government JUST allowed them to buy new cars again!!! Unfortunately none of the people can afford them because:
1.) They have no money
2.) The cars cost more than triple what they would anywhere else in the world because of state policies
3.) They're not all doctors the way Michael Moore wants you to believe
Well, your hearsay is worse than mine… BTW Michael Moore is not one of my sources!
TheOldSchool said:
You have no idea about Cuba. You've read or seen a bunch of biased nonsense about it and are incredibly naive about what's happened there. That country had the potential to be the jewel of the western world. A tropical paradise blessed with countless natural resources! Instead the locals can't even own a boat to go fishing with (literally, look it up. They're not allowed to have boats because the government thinks they'll try to escape).
:dig:
And do you think Batista offered that paradise to the average Cuban man or woman? Hell no! He was a corrupt despot and puppet for the USA!

TheOldSchool said:
You've got a lot to learn.
Almost as much as YOU have to learn!

Well then now you can respond to what I wrote. Two great uncles of mine were allowed by Cuba to visit America. They put on 30 pounds while here and took nothing back with them because it would have caused problems at home.

Any other examples of tolerance besides Castro allowing ex-pats to visit un-harassed and un-detained? That bell-weather of freedom that most countries can only dream of?

You can argue all day that Batista was worse because in many ways he was, but Castro is an evil man with all kinds of demons in his closet that he'll never have to answer for as he dies in his palace while his people serve him.

TheOldSchool said:
Castro saved a lot of money by turning his country into a 3rd world nation. He had to put it into something. And he succeeded in making his medical establishment the best of the 3rd world countries of the world. Good for him I guess.

Castro could have done what Batista did and continue to exploit his own people. He took the high road and did what he thought was right to help the majority. We messed up when our CIA and armed forces tried to kill Castro. The Bay of Pigs invasion was not conducive to good relations between the two nations either. What I like about Castro is that he was not afraid of the big bully from the North.
He has triumphed , in a sense, over the corrupt materialists who were draining the lifeblood out of his country. Even in the face of heavy sanctions and embargoes he has managed to keep his ideals alive

No, I am not one who wishes to live in Cuba. I AM SIMPLY AN American with an unpopular opinion who, like Castro, isn't afraid to express that opinion. That is what freedom is all about.

Well then now you can respond to what I wrote. Two great uncles of mine were allowed by Cuba to visit America. They put on 30 pounds while here and took nothing back with them because it would have caused problems at home.
I responded to your flawed anecdote in post #8 and even included your ORIGINAL quote. You have to actually read my posts if you want to engage me with any serious debate.

Any other examples of tolerance besides Castro allowing ex-pats to visit un-harassed and un-detained? That bell-weather of freedom that most countries can only dream of?
That is enough for me. I am not prepared to write an entire book on the topic.

You can argue all day that Batista was worse because in many ways he was, but Castro is an evil man with all kinds of demons in his closet that he'll never have to answer for as he dies in his palace while his people serve him.

Another anecdote? Can you give me an example of the evils he has committed by playing Robin Hood for his masses? Castro may die in his palace but he can do so with a clear conscience. Some of our US Presidents might not be as comfortable on their death beds!

A few years ago, there was a rumor Fidel Castro had died. The Cuban ex-patriots around here lost their collective minds and all took off to Florida to prepare for jubilation.

Unfortunately, the rumor turned out to be false.

I sympathise with their pain. I was stationed in Gitmo for three years and saw first hand the desperation of that imprisoned nation.

A few years ago, there was a rumor Fidel Castro had died. The Cuban ex-patriots around here lost their collective minds and all took off to Florida to prepare for jubilation.

I sympathise with their pain. I was stationed in Gitmo for three years and saw first hand the desperation of that imprisoned nation.

It'll happen one day. That bastard can't live forever.

He's doing his damndest to outlive everyone else, though. :(

I hope the embargo gets lifted, I want to go down to Cuba one day and smoke a cigar, have a drink and meet the love of my life lol, I hear Cuban women are amazing.

I wonder if some of the posters on USMB would be just as jubilant if something happened to Obama? Still, my question goes unanswered. What specifically evil thing has Castro done in playing robin Hood for his masses?

You were in GITMO, allegedly, but that doesn't mean you went into Castro's Cuba. And while you were listening to anecdotes from who knows where , did you happen to observe the shoddy treatment of the Muslim inmates right under your nose by American guards!

I wonder if some of the posters on USMB would be just as jubilant if something happened to Obama? Still, my question goes unanswered. What specifically evil thing has Castro done in playing robin Hood for his masses?

Murder, political prisoners, silencing opposition, total control of the media...

But as to your other question however much USMB posters may hate Obama, they wouldn't come close to being as happy as how the Cuban community will feel when Castro's in the ground.

Robin Hood? Stealing from the poor and giving to yourself is not what Robin Hood was about.

You sill have not specifically noted the "evils" committed by Castro! How long will I have to wait?

Forum List

Back