All things Doctor Who!

Things that make you go "WTF, Moffat?!"

Steven Moffat on Doctor Who regenerations: Go back and count again, there's something you've missed | Radio Times

However, Steven Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time," said Moffat, "there’s something you’ve all missed.”

Last edited:
Okay, let's get this thread back on track.

Anyone want to speculate on what the deal is with the John Hurt character/Doctor?

JohnHurtDoctor.jpg

I think he is The Doctor from the Time wars, between the 8th and 9th.

I am guessing he is one of the first doctors. But its only a guess.

Will be great to see John hurt in the role. A really great actor.

Okay, let's get this thread back on track.

Anyone want to speculate on what the deal is with the John Hurt character/Doctor?

JohnHurtDoctor.jpg

Would be great. Peter Capaldi got the role, though.

Steven Moffat on Doctor Who regenerations: Go back and count again, there's something you've missed | Radio Times

However, Steven Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time," said Moffat, "there’s something you’ve all missed.”

River song gave him her regenerations??

River song gave him her regenerations??
Its fiction..... You just create a story that extends his regens.....There is no such thing as impossible in sci-fi

BUT: He didn't say that. He said "There is something you all are missing." Not "Hello, derp; scifi. We can do anything we want."

BUT: He didn't say that. He said "There is something you all are missing." Not "Hello, derp; scifi. We can do anything we want."

Is he referring to Hurt with this comment?
Then he has to be between the 8th and 9th. :)

Is he referring to Hurt with this comment?
Then he has to be between the 8th and 9th. :)

Well, at the start of the article, everything the author alludes to takes us in the wrong direction (adding more doctors).

Can you tell me how you came down to "between the 8th and the 9th?"

I know peter got the role. I was just guessing which timelord john hurt was.

Peter by the way will be a great doctor. As he showed in bbc the thick of it.

Yeah, I think it was doctor number 5 who gave up several of his regenerations to save his friends. Then again River gave up all of her regenerations to save him so did he get her regenerations? Except I think that was AFTER he would have already give up all his regeneration so he shouldn't have been alive at all.

Yeah, I think it was doctor number 5 who gave up several of his regenerations to save his friends. Then again River gave up all of her regenerations to save him so did he get her regenerations? Except I think that was AFTER he would have already give up all his regeneration so he shouldn't have been alive at all.

that never happened though.....a turn of events involving the Brigadier made that unnecessary...

I don't think they could afford John Hurt full time. He's just too big of a name. He's someone you've heard of BEFORE getting cast as the Doctor.

Among some of my favortie John Hurt roles- Caligula in "I, Claudius", the guy who has the Alien burst from his chest in "Alien" (and Spaceballs!) Winston Smith in 1984. The Chancellor in "V for Vendetta".

Speaking of which, I, Claudius co-star Derek Jacobi played The Master in a one-off. Co-incidence?

that never happened though.....a turn of events involving the Brigadier made that unnecessary...

The episode was "Mawdyn Undead"...

Not only that, but he was pretty emphatic at that point on the REgeneration count.

"A Time Lord can only Regenerate 12 times. I've regenerated 4 times. 8 of them. 8 of me!"

Established a couple things in that episode.

The Doctor has only regenerated 4 times, making Hartnell the first.

I do think SHeila has a point, though, that if River gave him all her remaining regnerations, that gives him 10 more regenerations than we thought he had. (Because she had used up 2 up to that point.)

Forum List

Back