'An atmosphere of terror': the bloody rise of Mexico's top cartel

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It was mid-spring when residents of the wasteland behind Guadalajara’s international airport noticed a dog roaming their community with a strange object in its mouth: a human forearm.

Search teams in the ramshackle neighbourhood of La Piedrera entered a roofless red brick shack flanked by trees decked with bright orange mistletoe. Under several layers of dusky earth they made an even more grotesque discovery.
“There were 26 of them here. We found them wrapped in plastic sheets,” said Guadalupe Aguilar, a local human rights activist, as she stood beside the shallow grave. “And they’d thrown something on them – acid or something – because it hadn’t been long [since their murders] and the bodies were already in a real state of decay.”

Aguilar, 63, said there were dozens of such clandestine burial sites across Jalisco state, a sun-scorched slice of west Mexico that is paying an increasingly nightmarish price for its pivotal role in North America’s multibillion-dollar drug trade.

That is downright horrific. I can't imagine whaat it would be like to as a mother to sift through body parts trying to find my kid.

Just so people in the USA can get high, what better reason than to legalize and stop the narco state existence.

May I suggest; The Border, by Don Winslow- 800+pages- this link is an NPR review- I'm not a professional reviewer so the prologue to the review sucks- as far as I'm concerned- however, it does get the following right.

There is a lot of internal monologuing done by good men in bad places. The Border, like its predecessors, is a brutally grim book. There is no joy here. No looking away from the absolute horror of America's longest-running war — the war on drugs.

Because it is a huge, meticulously researched book that comes at the end of a series 20 years in the making.

Just so people in the USA can get high, what better reason than to legalize and stop the narco state existence.
Nope. That is a bullshit argument. There will be no guilt tripping on the US for what they do in Mexico.

Nope. That is a bullshit argument. There will be no guilt tripping on the US for what they do in Mexico.
Recognizing the truth isn't really guilt tripping- the suppliers fill the desire- if there was no desire there would be no market= no suppliers- by what authority does the fed gov't have to tell citizens what they can or can't ingest?
The Drug War has been in effect for 50 years- and there are still those who are willing to take the risk- billions, possibly a trillion or more has been spent (tax dollars) in that particular war (jobs program) and cost many people their life- guilty and innocent- just look at the jobs that make money- from the law on the street, to the courts, the lawyers, the prisons (largely private enterprise now)- all the way to DC- millions make their living from them- not just cartels- the cartels don't just sit on their money either- it has to be laundered- it has to be spent for materialistic acquisition (and arms)- jobs are helped by the acquisitions-
Drugs are a business- period. A world wide business- our soldiers helped protect Poppy fields in Afghanistan- why? Demand! Where? E.V.E.R.W.H.E.R.E. Yet our alleged best (elected representatives) believe, so they say, that the drugs aren't our problem- that the cartels have to be stopped- really? That isn't guilt tripping. It's recognizing that trying to put a band aid on an artery barely stenches the flow-

Read that book I referred to- it might open your eyes to just how bad things are-

Recognizing the truth isn't really guilt tripping- the suppliers fill the desire- if there was no desire there would be no market= no suppliers- by what authority does the fed gov't have to tell citizens what they can or can't ingest?
The Drug War has been in effect for 50 years- and there are still those who are willing to take the risk- billions, possibly a trillion or more has been spent (tax dollars) in that particular war (jobs program) and cost many people their life- guilty and innocent- just look at the jobs that make money- from the law on the street, to the courts, the lawyers, the prisons (largely private enterprise now)- all the way to DC- millions make their living from them- not just cartels- the cartels don't just sit on their money either- it has to be laundered- it has to be spent for materialistic acquisition (and arms)- jobs are helped by the acquisitions-
Drugs are a business- period. A world wide business- our soldiers helped protect Poppy fields in Afghanistan- why? Demand! Where? E.V.E.R.W.H.E.R.E. Yet our alleged best (elected representatives) believe, so they say, that the drugs aren't our problem- that the cartels have to be stopped- really? That isn't guilt tripping. It's recognizing that trying to put a band aid on an artery barely stenches the flow-

Read that book I referred to- it might open your eyes to just how bad things are-
Mexico is the way it is because of Mexico and the decision making of their government.
It is not the way that it is because of the US. Our drug war has been going on for 50 years. Their drug war has only been going on for some 12? We are not the same.

If our society was nothing but a bunch of frat boys and single/married women with no children who loved to party then telling someone what they can and can't do regarding drugs would be a non issue. In fact, I don't care one whit what drugs someone wants to do.....until the moment that impacts someone else. Then I don't want to hear the bullshit about how that someone needs help instead of jail.

Mexico says: You need to continue to allow illegal aliens in because our economy is dependent on those remittances. 'Sides we don't care about border control really. It's more of a you problem.

Now you have nitwits in the US running around saying then you better hold the business class accountable AND that it's justified because these people work harder and for less money because Americans won't. As if this is all again a ME or US problem. Additionally, the corporations, car manufacturers, move to Mexico because they will work for much less pay. Americans just want to paid more. Again this is the fault of the US or ME.

Mexico spends all of their time trying to protect the politicians that are aiding and abetting the cartels that are killing the journalists that are trying to expose that connection. Cienfuegos is released for diplomacy reasons. Mexico demanded it.

You have people claiming that Mexico's gun problem is due to legal gun owners in the US.
Any idea when Mexico will be responsible for anything? Anything in the near future?
I'm all out. It is not my problem. It is not a US problem. What I hear people saying is: Poor Mexico. They are so damn stupid.

I'll read your book.

I'll read your book.
It's an eye opener.

As for the rest of your rant- and I use that word affectionately, when pointing a finger, 3 are pointing back- blaming others for a personal problem is trying to put out anothers light, which doesn't make that light shine brighter- open borders has little to do with it- very little. Drugs are a business. Period. Cartels practice pure capitalism. They supply a product that is wanted- supply and demand. No, I'm not defending I'm explaining- the market determines the demand- the producer/supplier meets the demand. Just because we're handy doesn't change that. And that the product is addictive is a personal problem. That addiction is not the suppliers fault, any more than booze or tobacco, or, "legitimate" (gov't approved) drugs- or those who prescribe them, knowing full well, they are addictive, yet, they continue to prescribe until an *alarm* goes off, then the supply is cut off, then the street is the only outlet.

As far as the corruption goes- again, pointing a finger means 3 are pointing back. Our gov't's are no better, just better protected because, law- under the color of, dissuades accountability- as in prevents. There is too much money for it to go to waste- as it were. And rest assured, it doesn't get wasted on immaterial (irrelevant) efforts-

Forum List

Back