Any NHL fans will know this guy. He was a star in the NHL with Flames/Columbus. Police: Blue Jackets' Johnny Gaudreau, brother die in bike crash

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow. A sad day. I am risk adverse so I don't like bikes. Some are saying the drive was drunk. It happened in NJ.

RIP.

PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. — Columbus Blue Jackets star Johnny Gaudreau died in a crash while riding a bicycle along with his brother, New Jersey State Police say.

The Blue Jackets did not release details of the deaths, calling them an "unimaginable tragedy."

Johnny was 31. Matthew, who was also a professional hockey player, was 29.

"Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend," the Blue Jackets said.

Johnny Gaudreau, nicknamed “Johnny Hockey,” was an 11-year NHL veteran and seven-time All-Star who spent the first nine seasons of his career with the Calgary Flames. The Flames selected the five-foot-nine winger in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Draft and he went on to become one of the faces of the franchise, scoring more than 30 goals and crossing the 80-point mark three times each. In 2021-22, Gaudreau had a career-best 40 goals and 115 points, marks that helped him finish fourth in Hart Trophy voting. The following summer, he signed a seven-year, $68.25-million contract with the Blue Jackets so that he and his wife Meredith could raise their children closer to family in southern New Jersey.

Wow. A sad day. I am risk adverse so I don't like bikes. Some are saying the drive was drunk. It happened in NJ.

RIP.

PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. — Columbus Blue Jackets star Johnny Gaudreau died in a crash while riding a bicycle along with his brother, New Jersey State Police say.

The Blue Jackets did not release details of the deaths, calling them an "unimaginable tragedy."

"Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend," the Blue Jackets said.

Johnny Gaudreau, nicknamed “Johnny Hockey,” was an 11-year NHL veteran and seven-time All-Star who spent the first nine seasons of his career with the Calgary Flames. The Flames selected the five-foot-nine winger in the fourth round of the 2011 NHL Draft and he went on to become one of the faces of the franchise, scoring more than 30 goals and crossing the 80-point mark three times each. In 2021-22, Gaudreau had a career-best 40 goals and 115 points, marks that helped him finish fourth in Hart Trophy voting. The following summer, he signed a seven-year, $68.25-million contract with the Blue Jackets so that he and his wife Meredith could raise their children closer to family in southern New Jersey.

Caused a few deaths back in my high school/college days and shortly after.

Usually riding some Euro-rockets or Rice rockets.

RIP.

ESPN says they were "pedal cyclists" whatever the hell that means.

Blue Jackets winger Gaudreau dies at age 31

They always wait until a repeat drunk driver kills someone before they throw the book. Drunk drivers announce that someday they are going to kill someone by repeating the offense. Practice I guess.

It's crazy how fate works. He left Calgary to go to the team no one predicted, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Even his former teammates sort of chuckled as he had his choice of teams and there were predictions he would go to any number of them.

His reasoning apparently was to be close to his wifes family in NJ. That is where he and his brother are killed two days before his sisters wedding where they were both to be groomsmen.

Just tragic. Being drunk and driving is inexcusable in todays day and age. Even if someone has a beer or two. They wait a few hours, drink plenty of water and eat some food and they aren't drunk anymore. Far too many drink heavy alcohol and just don't give a damn, especially if they feel they know the terrain.

No excuses in a major city with so many options. The human species is very flawed.

ESPN says they were "pedal cyclists" whatever the hell that means.
It means they were on bicycles, not motorcycles, electric bikes or scooters. Though I’m not sure how smart it is to be out on bikes at 8pm (roughly half a hour past sunset) this time of year. Not sure I’d ride a bike on a public street with any significant level of traffic at any time of day.

A coworker of mine got hit and nearly killed by a box truck while biking to work a number of years ago.

It means they were on bicycles, not motorcycles, electric bikes or scooters. Though I’m not sure how smart it is to be out on bikes at 8pm (roughly half a hour past sunset) this time of year. Not sure I’d ride a bike on a public street with any significant level of traffic at any time of day.

A coworker of mine got hit and nearly killed by a box truck while biking to work a number of years ago.

Yeah, I'm risk adverse. I don't feel a need to bungee jump, scale high buildings, get a better view at the Falls or ride a motorbike. That's just me. I'm a risk/reward type of guy.

It does appear they were bikes not motorbikes. As you say, the logic of doing that in the streets when it's a bit dark escapes me. A noon ride on a bike path would make most sense but that's just me.

Yeah, I'm risk adverse. I don't feel a need to bungee jump, scale high buildings, get a better view at the Falls or ride a motorbike. That's just me. I'm a risk/reward type of guy.

It does appear they were bikes not motorbikes. As you say, the logic of doing that in the streets when it's a bit dark escapes me. A noon ride on a bike path would make most sense but that's just me.
A tenant of mine is recovering after being hit by a car at dusk on his bike. He was wearing dark clothing. The driver said he just didn't see him in the gloom.

They always wait until a repeat drunk driver kills someone before they throw the book. Drunk drivers announce that someday they are going to kill someone by repeating the offense. Practice I guess.

I agree. We are way too lenient on that in this country.

1st DUI offense, 5 years revocation of driving license/vehicle(s) impounded.
2nd DUI offense, 10 years/vehicles impounded.
3rd DUI offense, permanent revocation/vehicles seized.

Prison time for property damage. Prison time and permanent revocation for personal injury or death.

I ride on country two-lanes all the time. I have never even had a close call. In fact, I get into more dangerous situations when drivers refuse to pass me when there is plenty of room, causing backups and ill will by drivers who are being delayed.

Seems a little late for a ride this late in the Summer. It had to be fairly dark.

Forum List

Back