Any one having problems with green horned tomato worms? A great way to find and kill them.

OKTexas

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2012
Near Magnolia, TX
I've killed 29 in the last week on 7 tomato plants. Those suckers can be hard to find in daylight, so I tried something new last night. I got a UV light from my gemology kit and those little suckers glow under a UV light source. They are easy to spot and do away with. I was using an LED light that emits 395nm wave length. The blooms and degrading plant material will also have a distinctive glow as will the cast off from the worms. Good hunting.

wm_13050628.jpg

I've killed 29 in the last week on 7 tomato plants. Those suckers can be hard to find in daylight, so I tried something new last night. I got a UV light from my gemology kit and those little suckers glow under a UV light source. They are easy to spot and do away with. I was using an LED light that emits 395nm wave length. The blooms and degrading plant material will also have a distinctive glow as will the cast off from the worms. Good hunting.

A drop of dish soap in spray bottle full of water.....

Thank you! My wife will be delighted they have been munching on her plants for weeks now and they are SO HARD to see!

Thank you! My wife will be delighted they have been munching on her plants for weeks now and they are SO HARD to see!

Well I thought I stumbled onto something new. But tonight I did a search and found this article.

I didn't want to give them a bath. LOL

LOL good one....but the worms don't like the taste of the soap and will move on and it won't poison you...it washes right off your fruit and veggies.....

LOL good one....but the worms don't like the taste of the soap and will move on and it won't poison you...it washes right off your fruit and veggies.....

I also read that there is a bacterial spray that will kill them, it's called Bt, it won't harm their natural predators either.

Sprinkling wood ash on the plants seems to help. I've been doing it regularly this year and there have far fewer of them.

As OK says, they are hard to see. I'd like to try the light trick and see one glow before I pull it off and stomp on it. LOL

Forum List

Back