Anyone of you into classical music?

Bernhard

Gold Member
Nov 25, 2020
Berlin, Germany
Hey guys, just curious if any of you is into classical music, maybe even playing an instrument.

I've been making myself familiar with classical music in the past years and collected quite a CD collection (yes, I know, I could just online stream the music, but I'm a collector ... also, CDs offer better sound quality). When doing this, I was guided by a pretty nice book, "Classical Music" by Phil G. Goulding. It offers a really great introduction to this genre.

These days, I'm watching classical operas on DVD/BD. So far, I can say I find Wagner needs a good editor and is a bit heavy, while the melodramatic Italian operas are more to my taste.

How about you?

I favor Mozart, in my opinion he is the greatest musician of all time.

I'm not well educated on the subject but I do like it. At the age of 12 my class was taken to the symphony,. To this day those that were my class mates still talk about how I became euphoric, when Tchaikovsky's music was played. It was real eye opening experience for a poor country boy.

I favor Mozart, in my opinion he is the greatest musician of all time.

Hm, I like Mozart too. It took me a while to really appreciate him, because on first glance, he just sounded light and nice ... but then I realized he's still amazing after repeated listening.

Though if I have to pick just once composer, I'm more of a Bach person. If I had to take just one piece with me on a forgotten island, it must be "The Goldberg Variations".

Hey guys, just curious if any of you is into classical music, maybe even playing an instrument.

I've been making myself familiar with classical music in the past years and collected quite a CD collection (yes, I know, I could just online stream the music, but I'm a collector ... also, CDs offer better sound quality). When doing this, I was guided by a pretty nice book, "Classical Music" by Phil G. Goulding. It offers a really great introduction to this genre.

These days, I'm watching classical operas on DVD/BD. So far, I can say I find Wagner needs a good editor and is a bit heavy, while the melodramatic Italian operas are more to my taste.

How about you?
Does the below link fit into your description of classical music???

How about you?

been listening to classical music since i was a teenager back in the 60s

learned to play guitar, joined a rock band, kept playing in bands for 25 years and use to blend snippets of classical pieces into our song lists.

these days i just play and record my own music, which is a blend of classical pieces with hard rock/ metal/ progressive rock

ill start playing hall of the mnt king or 1812 overture then transition into my own ideas...tis great fun! and different every time!

Electric Light Orchestra did an interesting take on Beethoven's 5th,back in the 1970s. Infusion of classical ,pop and electronic jazz.
It hit the top of the charts back then.

I'm not "into" it, but I do have fun with it.

When I'm on a road trip, I like to find the local PBS station. Before long, it's easy to find one which is playing classical music.

Ween I find a really raucous classical piece on the radio, I'll roll my windows down and crank up the ol' 3,400 watt Bang & Olufsen system, and watch the heads turn as I cruise down the road.

It's fun...

Relax man...

The best band you've never heard of did something some years back at a trade show in California. The band is Sixwire, and they placed second on the show "The Next Great American Band". These guys are some of the best musicians in Nashville:

This seems to be a good place to give a head-up on Puccini, Tchaikovsky, Ralph Vaughn Williams (particularly for The Lark Ascending, soul-calming), and Dvorak (particularly "The American. String Quartet in #12 in F, Lento, soul-calming).

This is an interesting fusion of rock and Puccini (Madame Butterfly, Un Bel Di, Vedremo) by Malcolm McLaren:

Forum List

Back