Are meanness and cruelty growing or have we always been this bad?

I find the "High Information" people to be the rudest.
And yes, it's because they're hiding behind an IP Address.

Does not seem so the internet is safer than RL, there was a time that hatred and the expression thereof was based on others issues and more widely acceptable. The internet is place where people vent by being mean, IMO, nothing serious.

torches_pitchforks.png

However, the artist is enjoying her notoriety, I find the whole thing to be disingenuous.

Last edited:
These forums are rife with people saying the rudest things and trying so hard to hurt people. I understand that politics gets passionate, and that passion brings out things.

But has the anonymity of the internet bred a generation of cruel jerks?

As an example, read the comments left on an artist's Tumblr page.

This Tumblr User Shows Her Horrific Anonymous Messages In A Powerful Art Project

Of course, there are threads all over these forums that show te same and worse.

What is it that prompts so many to try to be such huge assholes, and for no apparent reason? Am I missing what they gain from it?
Well, I believe a serious artist does not consider the internet the appropriate place to display his/her art. People are rude and always have been, but the internet definitely gives them an open license to be as rude and unpleasant as possible w/o any reprecussions. However, she is not being very smart posting her work on line and expecting there will be no offensive responses. She needs to take her work more seriously and not post it on the internet.

Oh, I don't know about that. Many people sell their artwork over the internet. You just have to ignore the idiots that are so jealous all they can do is sling poop. If she is able to benefit from the positive viewers, more power to her. Most of the comments she posts seem childish, attacking her personally, not her work.

These forums are rife with people saying the rudest things and trying so hard to hurt people. I understand that politics gets passionate, and that passion brings out things.

This Tumblr User Shows Her Horrific Anonymous Messages In A Powerful Art Project

What is it that prompts so many to try to be such huge assholes, and for no apparent reason? Am I missing what they gain from it?

They are able to hide behind their computers and say things that they would not have the courage to say to the person's face.

Having said this, I think in general people were better and nicer in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

We didn't have the internet in the 50's, 60's, 70's....and even part of the 80's.....so people didn't have the opportunity to sling poop anonymously like they do now. It's just a sign of the times.

I've always gotten shit from people, I've been blacklisted just because they thought I did something..Nothing new.
But I've also met many nice and wonderful people.

Maybe they don't like your avatar mooning them?........:razz::razz:

Yes, you will always find assholes on the internet. They can hide from any consequences and say what they want. Well, at least within the boundaries of the site.

I learned a long time ago, if they resort to meaness and cruelty, then it is time for me to move on. I just skip over their crap. Unless they are in the FZ. ;)

I wonder how many of these people would say this shit to someone face?

Yes, you will always find assholes on the internet. They can hide from any consequences and say what they want. Well, at least within the boundaries of the site.

I learned a long time ago, if they resort to meaness and cruelty, then it is time for me to move on. I just skip over their crap. Unless they are in the FZ. ;)

None.

Unless they were drunk.

To me, the existence of the internet has most definitely made the cruelty grow, but I also think that what is shown on TV a lot these days has also played a part in it as well. People want to be like those who are shown on TV. :( :( :(

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. And because we have the ability to say anything online, until we are banned from where we say it of course, I believe that some people just say whatever it is that they choose to say just for the sheer heck of it. They say it because they can and they don't care about what it may do to other people who see their choice of statements. :( :( :(

How often would most of these discussions come up in real life? Under what circumstances?

It's not a bad thing, despite the tiresome whining of the thin-skinned. Think about the benefit of watching boxing, football (real, American football), MMA, etc.

I've always gotten shit from people,.
And it's never occurred to you that the problem might be YOU?
Maybe they get it because of the reason why I get it and that is because of the way that we are or what it is that we choose to stand for.

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. When you really think about it, who doesn't get some kind of grief over being the way that they are or what it is that they choose to stand for?

They are able to hide behind their computers and say things that they would not have the courage to say to the person's face.

Having said this, I think in general people were better and nicer in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

We didn't have the internet in the 50's, 60's, 70's....and even part of the 80's.....so people didn't have the opportunity to sling poop anonymously like they do now. It's just a sign of the times.

I do not think that people were as greedy and self centered back then.

man, i am new here and i have really noticed that. me, i try to be polite but sometimes it is hard, and if i am going to go off, i do that in real life too.

people really need to learn to laugh, and that includes laughing at themselves. i feel kinda sorry for the permanantly angry people. some of them actually wish death on others. that is pretty sick if you ask me.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I think Wilde had it right, and the nature of itnernet communications is simply bearing it out. It's the Wilde Wilde west, the internet.

Nailed it imo.

I've always gotten shit from people, I've been blacklisted just because they thought I did something..Nothing new.

from what i've seen of you, i like your posts. you really are not offensive at all. even if i disagree with you, you make your point in a funny way.

Last edited:

I've rarely agreed with much you post (politics being what they are), but you most always seem decent enough.

I've always gotten shit from people,.

And it's never occurred to you that the problem might be YOU?

Noooo... why would anyone with an avatar of a little yellow ass getting shoved in your face think that it's their fault?

His avatar speaks volumes about his personality and his character... "not serious, foolish, and wants to insult everyone he comes in contact with even before he opens his mouth." It's people like him that do create ire on the internet.

As far as the "artist" used as an example in the OP, she wrote all that herself, as a way to call attention to herself, as does the metal in her face and the low rent tattoos. She's just another self indulged, leftist art student that loves herself, can't stop taking selfies of herself and is screaming for people to look at her.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back