Are moral vales an instinctive act or one taught ?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017
Are moral vales an instinctive act or one taught?
This thread was created to explore human’s moral values taught through fiction and nonfiction examples. It is the intent to express moral values that is the core of our moral values today.
The architectural form of theatre in Rome , theatrical practice and performance took place in Rome has been linked back even further to the 4th century B.C.E.,
1623433749921.png

Romans favored entertainment and performance over tragedy and drama, displaying a more modern form of theatre that is still used in contemporary times.
Theatre of ancient Rome - Wikipedia
William Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's greatest dramatist. He is often called England's national poet
1623433768881.png

COMEDIES
All's Well That Ends Well (1602), As You Like It (1599), Comedy of Errors (1589), Love's Labour's Lost (1594), Winter's Tale (1610)
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish writer widely regarded as the greatest writer in the Spanish language and one of the world's pre-eminent novelists. He is best known for his novel Don Quixote, a work often cited as both the first modern novel and one of the pinnacles of world literature
. Wikipedia

1623433794766.png
1623433808325.png
1623433829851.png

The point I am trying to make is that humans are the only animals that that can create live scenes where actors play the part of good and bad individuals for the audience to see and judge. It is a learning experience.
Now we have movies and TV shows that do the same thing. When your child is watching a TV show, your child is learning moral values. Morality is the oldest known value that has been expressed throughout the history of humanity.
The only reason I am bringing this up is because I was doubting mankind’s future.
I was beginning to believe the dark side was winning and the human race was heading towards self-destruction. Now after reviewing the history of the human race I can say we are not doomed, morality is the dominant human consciousness that prevails over all other motives for our existence on this planet. I am now sure that the aliens that planted our seed on this planet are looking at us with favor.

I believe the world is unfolding as it should; how about you?.

:)-

This thread was created to explore human’s moral values taught through fiction and nonfiction examples. It is the intent to express moral values that is the core of our moral values today.
The architectural form of theatre in Rome , theatrical practice and performance took place in Rome has been linked back even further to the 4th century B.C.E.,
View attachment 500066

Romans favored entertainment and performance over tragedy and drama, displaying a more modern form of theatre that is still used in contemporary times.
William Shakespeare was an English playwright, poet, and actor, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's greatest dramatist. He is often called England's national poet
View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
All's Well That Ends Well (1602), As You Like It (1599), Comedy of Errors (1589), Love's Labour's Lost (1594), Winter's Tale (1610)
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra was a Spanish writer widely regarded as the greatest writer in the Spanish language and one of the world's pre-eminent novelists. He is best known for his novel Don Quixote, a work often cited as both the first modern novel and one of the pinnacles of world literature
. Wikipedia

View attachment 500068 View attachment 500069 View attachment 500070
The point I am trying to make is that humans are the only animals that that can create live scenes where actors play the part of good and bad individuals for the audience to see and judge. It is a learning experience.
Now we have movies and TV shows that do the same thing. When your child is watching a TV show, your child is learning moral values. Morality is the oldest known value that has been expressed throughout the history of humanity.
The only reason I am bringing this up is because I was doubting mankind’s future.
I was beginning to believe the dark side was winning and the human race was heading towards self-destruction. Now after reviewing the history of the human race I can say we are not doomed, morality is the dominant human consciousness that prevails over all other motives for our existence on this planet. I am now sure that the aliens that planted our seed on this planet are looking at us with favor.

Just because the human race may be racing towards destruction does not mean the dark side is winning.

It just means that there will be more dramatic interventions from above to counter it, say, like a return of God himself.

And yes, we will need them soon.

I believe the world is unfolding as it should; how about you?
Very interesting. I believe that it is not unfolding fast enough for liberals, and that it is unfolding uncontrollably for conservatives.

I think both.
Some you are born with, others are taught.
Look at animals. Some only kill to protect and eat. No matter how "aggressive" or "dangerous" society deems them.

View attachment 500066

View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
. Wikipedia

The Romans enjoyed watching gladiators kill themselves in an arena and enjoyed watching Christians get thrown to the lions, etc. Today it is no longer acceptable morally.

Today we lynch people via the media for sport and watch their lives fall apart.

As for Shakespeare, the Puritans hated the theatre and considered his plays to be immoral that caused immoral people to want to watch.

But today, Shakespeare has been cancelled by the Left wing loons at major universities as immoral because he had the unfortunate circumstance of being a white European, thus he must be a racist.

People are bat sh$t crazy and immoral as they have ever been. In fact, we all feign to care about slavery in the 1800's, but ignore the fact that there is now more slavery in the world than at any other time in human history and are doing virtually nothing about it.

LMAO!

Along with Theater, in the modern era we have moral based comedies.

Friends
is an American television sitcom
1623436442502.png
1623436450762.png
1623436460097.png
1623436468478.png
1623436477032.png
1623436485842.png

Seinfeld (/ˈsaɪnfɛld/; SYNE-feld) is an American sitcom television series created by Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld
1623436504940.png

And we have live action western that also express moral values that our children watch every day.

Gunsmoke
is an American radio and television Western drama series created by director Norman Macdonnell and writer John Meston.
1623436517620.png
1623436526926.png
1623436536450.png

Can anyone here find other moral values expressed in our daily lives that our children can learn from-??

I have asked this before, and no one cares to answer.

Do European countries have TV shows, movies that teach moral values like we do in the USA-?

But today, Shakespeare has been cancelled by the Left wing loons at major universities as immoral because he had the unfortunate circumstance of being a white European, thus he must be a racist.
Then I ask, is racism taught or is it an instinctive reaction-?

View attachment 500066

View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
. Wikipedia

There is no morality in nature.......you will not see any natural predator selecting their prey based upon any sense of morality, the natural animal works on instinct, when its hungry it hunts, when its belly is full it often ignores that which is common prey for the predator.

Conclusion: No morality exists in nature therefore..........morality must logically and reasonably be considered "SUPER (superior) Natural (to nature)" in origin.

The real question then arises........WHERE DOES THE CONCEPT OF "LAW" ORIGINATE? Law does not establish morality......it reflects the societal norms of what the majority of any society defines as MORAL. Moral people make moral laws, immoral people make immoral laws.

Over the course of this "FREE NATION'S" history we find many immoral laws have been legislated. Take for instance.......the concept of flesh peddling or slavery. Slavery existed in the republic called the United States of America because the majority of its citizens demanded slavery to be legal. Some of largest slave holders lived in the supposed "NORTHEN STATES" such as Maryland.

Truth does not always equate to morality. Truth is simply TRUTH. For instance, again lets address slavery. This nation was founded upon a primary ideology of "........ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL". Simply because the majority of the citizens wanted slavery to exist does not make that ideology into a lie. That statement was true when recorded in our founding documents.........did the truth evolve? Of course not........society evolved and finally condemned the slave trade as being immoral and freedom for all worthy of protection via the highest law of the land......THE US CONSTITUTION.

Truth never evolves. What was true 10 thousand years ago is just as true today, or.........it was never truth in the beginning.

Our founders where men of wisdom. They drafted TRUTH and gave the citizens of this new republic room to evolve to accept that truth. Our founders where "genius loci". They may be dead but their spirit created the most unique republic on earth that still serves the citizens thereof..........when obeyed

The laws that define morality have existed since man has existed.......again, laws do not make men moral, morality cannot be legislated into existence........man must evolve to become moral and that morality is either reflected or rejected in societies legal system. There are more than a few LAWS that are universal and shared by every civilized society that has ever existed upon earth. Murder is wrong, its wrong to steal, its wrong to disrespect one's parents.....etc.,

Another conclusion, logically derived: Morality must have preexisted mankind, there must have been a LAWGIVER.

Last edited:
Then I ask, is racism taught or is it an instinctive reaction-?
Race only matters when it comes to two things, politics and the medical field. Otherwise, it is not important.

Unfortunately, human beings are political creatures. It's the old age attempt to form groups to attain power over other groups. Having a different color skin is simply an easy fix to the divide and conquer instincts of demagogues drumming up support from the populace.

In Western Europe with the Jewish persecution, they had some difficulty with this since Jews looked like everyone else, to to fix this, they would have them wear special attire or tattoo them.

Political demagogues will forever use race to divide us, and I dare say that the current DNC talks about race more than Hitler ever did.

View attachment 500066

View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
. Wikipedia

The subjective value of morals is usually taught, by Tradition.

Good question. I think both. We are born with an innate ability to distinguish between right and wrong; good and bad; good and evil. The level of awareness for each baby is probably variable. In other words, for any given thing some are more talented or attuned than others. It's natural. It's why we have distributions. So we start with the basic wiring or coding - with some better at recognition then others - and then we learn from mostly being taught. But eventually we go out on our own where experiences may override teaching and our values and principles may change.
I believe the world is unfolding as it should; how about you?
I believe we live in a logical universe where every effect had a cause, so I would have to agree that things have unfolded as they should too.

Coming full circle, when I was a child, in the 1930’s I was reading comic books.
1623469503760.png

There are a few that have evolved beyond the paperback.

Again, as before,,.,.,.,.,. I ask you,..,.,.,.,., if you know---

Any European countries that have TV shows/movies that express moral values as they do in the USA-?
just curious

View attachment 500066

View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
. Wikipedia

I think it's influenced by how much you value your life and life in general and how *unselfish or **selfish you are.
*(righteous men tend to practice in life, much sympathy)
** (self centered people practice no concern or sympathy for anything other then themselves and their own needs aka whatever feels good or benefits them with no care for the cause and affects of their actions)=[usually the type of people who say "I don't care" a lot, even to knowledge of good deeds.]

In W.R. Alger 1867 Preface to the book
"Genius of Solitude"
"The majority of men in every age are superficial in character and brittle in purpose, and lead undedicated lives; swarming together in buzzing crowds in all haunts of amusement or places of low competition, caring little for anything but gossip and pastime, the titillation of the senses, and the gratification of conceit." (their EGO)

Last edited:
Morals are community norms. Valid morals are those which assist the community to survive/prosper. Different communities have different morals.

View attachment 500066

View attachment 500067
COMEDIES
. Wikipedia

If you are implying they are a gift from God, you are completely wrong.
Morals and principles preceded any religion or any God because has never existed.

The same for consciousness. It was a god send. Everyone is born with it.

Morals are community norms. Valid morals are those which assist the community to survive/prosper. Different communities have different morals.
Exactly....

Now that is also usually the problem.
Once upon a time when television was just getting started the program "I Love Lucy" was very popular...but Lucy and Desi didn't have a bed they shared...two twin beds even though they were married was seen in their bedroom. Because to show otherwise was too racy for the day.
Today we seem to have trouble keeping every form of sexual perversion from being broadcast and all of the actors seem to have clothing issues with keeping them on.

Then you have the news. Where the common themes are shaming public figures for incompetence, negligence, greed or philandering or showing the depravity of the dregs of society. Or even just some good old fashioned fear peddling of how bad things are outside. News is always bad... never been good.

Programming is entertainment...the average guy being an everyday good guy always gets hurt, killed, destroyed financially or something horrible. When the truth is far from that. Life is not reflected in entertainment and neither are morals that need to be learned by society.

"Christians vs the Lions" was once a popular form of entertainment. So was Asheroth worship. (Really old fashioned sex and violence) today the blood is faked and so is the love in the sex.
Even though Shakespeare was famous for quoting passages out of the Geneva Bible many people considered him to be a heretic for producing theater. Elizabeth was rather uncommitted to making moral and religious determinations as it was rather a huge political fight...and fighting was unproductive in her estimation. She was more interested in keeping the UK together.

Forum List

Back