Assuming Blacks are less Capable (in the Military)

A "Sixty Minutes" feature this evening reported widespread belief by African American soldiers (sailors, airmen) and officers that throughout their careers they have had to "prove themselves" over and over, in the face of widespread belief (prejudice) of their inferiority on the part of their [white] commanding officers.
Was LA in the early days a big hymmie town ??
Undoubtedly true.

I remember seeing an interview with Calvin Murphy (short NBA star) many years ago, when he noted the number of times when he would be traveling with his teammates, and people would come up to him (a 5'9" NBA perennial All Star), and ask him if the other guys - much taller, obviously - were professional basketball players. Those people assumed that because he was only 5'9" tall, he was obviously not one of the NBA players in the crowd. I wonder if Murphy ever had to "prove himself" as he progressed from grade school to HS to college and the NBA.

Are these phenomena analogous?

The veterans participating on this site are probably aware that enlisted recruits used to be required to take a battery of aptitude and intelligence tests, the scores of which remained part of the soldier's personnel file for their entire careers. In the Army, the "GT" score (an average of two test scores, verbal and arithmetical), was analogous to an IQ test, however with a 20-point standard deviation rather than 15 on IQ tests. Of the thousands of DD Form 20's that I saw during my three years working in Personnel, I may have seen 10 "Negroes" with GT scores over 120. And this is not exceptionally bright, just a little better than average. Officers who were selecting soldiers for special assignments, promotions, and higher-level training were aware of this discrepancy, and if a Black soldier were recommended that Officer (or panel) was aware of this factor and the Black soldier had to "prove himself" to get that honor or assignment.

Rightly so.

And as a result, the percentage of military enlisted men advancing was not the same as the percentage of Blacks in the overall enlisted ranks. It shouldn't be. I have no doubt the same factors apply in the Officer ranks. The same phenomenon explains why 13% of STEM PhD's are not African American (and most are in very soft academic fields).

So now the Biden Administration will force a top-down demand that Blacks be promoted over better qualified "whites" in order to satisfy Joe Biden's white guilt. Just like he did with his choice of a VP.

Will this make us better at preventing wars, killing people and breaking stuff?

Hardly.

In the coming decades, "diversity" will become the rule for all jobs (both civilian & military).

Is this good for the nation?

Everyone has his/her own opinion.

Are some groups less intelligent than other groups?

Again everyone has his/her own opinion.

But it does not matter what anyone thinks.

"Diversity" & "equity" are here to stay.

Does the United States of America have a bright future?

Personally, I feel the answer is obvious.

A "Sixty Minutes" feature this evening reported widespread belief by African American soldiers (sailors, airmen) and officers that throughout their careers they have had to "prove themselves" over and over, in the face of widespread belief (prejudice) of their inferiority on the part of their [white] commanding officers.

Undoubtedly true.

I remember seeing an interview with Calvin Murphy (short NBA star) many years ago, when he noted the number of times when he would be traveling with his teammates, and people would come up to him (a 5'9" NBA perennial All Star), and ask him if the other guys - much taller, obviously - were professional basketball players. Those people assumed that because he was only 5'9" tall, he was obviously not one of the NBA players in the crowd. I wonder if Murphy ever had to "prove himself" as he progressed from grade school to HS to college and the NBA.

The veterans participating on this site are probably aware that enlisted recruits used to be required to take a battery of aptitude and intelligence tests, the scores of which remained part of the soldier's personnel file for their entire careers. In the Army, the "GT" score (an average of two test scores, verbal and arithmetical), was analogous to an IQ test, however with a 20-point standard deviation rather than 15 on IQ tests. Of the thousands of DD Form 20's that I saw during my three years working in Personnel, I may have seen 10 "Negroes" with GT scores over 120. And this is not exceptionally bright, just a little better than average. Officers who were selecting soldiers for special assignments, promotions, and higher-level training were aware of this discrepancy, and if a Black soldier were recommended that Officer (or panel) was aware of this factor and the Black soldier had to "prove himself" to get that honor or assignment.

Rightly so.

And as a result, the percentage of military enlisted men advancing was not the same as the percentage of Blacks in the overall enlisted ranks. It shouldn't be. I have no doubt the same factors apply in the Officer ranks. The same phenomenon explains why 13% of STEM PhD's are not African American (and most are in very soft academic fields).

So now the Biden Administration will force a top-down demand that Blacks be promoted over better qualified "whites" in order to satisfy Joe Biden's white guilt. Just like he did with his choice of a VP.

Hardly.

In the coming decades, "diversity" will become the rule for all jobs (both civilian & military).

Was early LA mostly Jewish ??

Undoubtedly true.

Rightly so.

Hardly.

Was early LA mostly Jewish ??

Not that I know.

I did not mean to imply that there are no competent - or even outstanding - Blacks in the Armed Forces. Obviously there are, and I had the privilege of working with some of them both stateside and in Vietnam. NCO's and officers.

The point is that there is no manipulation of reality that can result in Blacks comprising "13%" of the top ranks without some terrible injustices along the way. Everyone should be able to advance according to his or her own merits.

What a concept!

Oh, NO!!! No you didn't.

That guy's first name is literally Tom....as in Uncle Tom.

White racists are only touting the works of Uncle Tom Sowell because he's a house negro.

(he is one of my heroes and a protégé of the great economist Milton Friedman, another of my heroes)(but it's only because I am a white racist and Uncle Tom Sowell is....well.....an Uncle Tom. IM2 will be here shortly to confirm.)

Undoubtedly true.

Rightly so.

Hardly.
blacks get promoted on skin color--so OF COURSE, we have to doubt their abilities

Why do whites not ever consider the possibility of an unqualified white person?

Thomas Sowell is an idiot. Find a real sociologist and not an economist.
blacks are a lot more racist than whites

Undoubtedly true.

Rightly so.

Hardly.

First of all, I worked with "Blacks" in the Military and owe my bacon to some of them. Once the ball drops, there are no differences. And anyone believing there is should NEVER be in the Military because you are going to get your own guys killed needlessly.
In Navy boot camp, we had 10 black guys in our company. Not a single one of them could swim. Every one of them almost got held back because they couldnt tread water. Fortunately, the Navy had them trained just enough to pass after a week. The swimming requirements are laughable. They were all at the bottom of the class academically as well (literally the bottom 10 out of 100 men), which seemed almost statistically impossible.
.....same here for USMC Boot Camp--the same thing --and they did not shoot as well on the Rifle Range--probably because they lacked discipline

Undoubtedly true.

Rightly so.

Hardly.
You should have included the entire claim you made about what Biden is trying to do in promoting minorities, without it your entire premise died.

Undoubtedly true.

Rightly so.

Hardly.

What makes you think this has changed?

Also. each service determines the component tests that give you the GT score.

Do you have a link to this new promotion affirmative action plan?

New Topics

Forum List

Back