Astronomers have discovered a giant 'blinking' star in the middle of the Milky Way.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
VVV-WIT-08, as it's named, is 25,000 light-years from Earth, but scientists
say it's a star 100 times bigger than our sun and the "blinking' occurs as a giant unidentified companion with a decades-long orbit passes by, likely an enormous Saturn-like planet.

blinking star
1624033365183.png

say it's a star 100 times bigger than our sun and the "blinking' occurs as a giant unidentified companion with a decades-long orbit passes by, likely an enormous Saturn-like planet.
Being so close, I would guess that it was only found recently because it's hard to see that it is "blinking" when it happens so seldom. The orbiting companion would have a regular period which could only be determined for sure after three times around. That would require many decades.

blinking star
View attachment 502896
Unfortunately..it’s so far that humans will never reach it
That is hundreds of trillions of miles

blinking star
View attachment 502896
Maybe it’s a planet full of Jews and they’re blowing out the Hanukkah candies on the menorah

An earth sized array of radio-telescopes was able to image a black hole. If optical frequencies are needed, an earth sized optical array would be extremely difficult, but may be possible sometime.

Even if it were possible, the problem with sending a probe 25,000 light years away is that it would take 25,000 years for the image to get back to earth.

An earth sized array of radio-telescopes was able to image a black hole. If optical frequencies are needed, an earth sized optical array would be extremely difficult, but may be possible sometime.

Even if it were possible, the problem with sending a probe 25,000 light years away is that it would take 25,000 years for the image to get back to earth.

If we start spending less time and resources on war, maybe we'll keep on
advancing. On the other hand, it could be worse.

Just 500 years ago, we thought the earth was flat, and just 50 years ago we were a sneeze away from nuclear winter.

If someone went to the moon...say...in 1969 or so(theoretically)....how long for Algores internet to transmit "Houston, we gots a problem?" I get a 5-10 minute delay in my messages to LIR....One hour away by car... 15-20 minutes on my 86 v-max.

If we start spending less time and resources on war, maybe we'll keep on
advancing. On the other hand, it could be worse.

Just 500 years ago, we thought the earth was flat, and just 50 years ago we were a sneeze away from nuclear winter
It seems that large companies are taking over the work that was NASA's domain. There is certainly a profit motive. Meanwhile basic research by the government is declining. It's hard to say where this will go.

If someone went to the moon...say...in 1969 or so(theoretically)....how long for Algores internet to transmit "Houston, we gots a problem?" I get a 5-10 minute delay in my messages to LIR....One hour away by car... 15-20 minutes on my 86 v-max.
You're from Costa Rica ?
I knew a guy from there named Cochise (if that's how he spelled it -ko-chees)around 1983- 84 on Hilton Head Island SC. We used to get toot out the wazoo from him and his roommate Ricardo (From Colombia).

You're from Costa Rica ?
I knew a guy from there named Cochise (if that's how he spelled it -ko-chees)around 1983- 84 on Hilton Head Island SC. We used to get toot out the wazoo from him and his roommate Ricardo (From Colombia).
Where in the USA have you mostly lived !!

Forum List

Back