Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft

Still run XP. It does all i need so i have no intention of upgrading to anymore flawed versions of bullshit just to put money into someone's pocket who doesn't need it and to support a company in an area and an economy so against and at odds with our nation.
Taking a page from "if microsoft built cars"
If microsoft wrote a secure operating system in the first place they wouldn't need so many security updates.
If microsoft wrote the constitution, we'd be up to the 5,542nd amendment by now.

Bullshit.

The # target for malware and security breaches is Android.

Whoever is on top is targeted. IOS and Android have FAR more security problems than Windows does.
Only AFTER the end user installs his "where to get used toilet paper coupons" Appz and extensions

Isn't that what I just said? :)

Android it the #1 target because it's the #1 OS.

There used to be a myth that Linux was more secure than Windows. It's never been true.

Well that was true, then false. A lot of people are running BSD / Redhat / Debian / Fedora etc Linux as an alternate to Windows. But not popular enough for hackers to waste their time on.

Using 2600 logic, you go after the most popular systems, because most of the most people use them, and a good percent of them have no clue how to secure their systems.

You would be amazed how many Cisco routers still have the default password.

The difference between Microshaft's flaws and everyone elses' is Microshaft's "problems" are pre-installed.As said before, patching one bug results in 2 more."Key values". Pathetic

I learned all about that fuckin registry when "we" built 2000 Lite.
Then they hit the beta team with Whistler...that's when I quit. You knew it as XP.

Thanks, I have Windows 8.

That explains a lot.

Question for all; Was Windows 8 worse than Bob?

It's close.
Haha.... the forgotten OS. Just a bit more forgotten than Windows ME
I only saw Windows Bob once. What a fantastically bad idea. Instead of merely moving your mouse a few inches to open Word for instance, you would have to click on the door...wait until the "room" loaded and then click again, to which a window would open asking if you want to open Word...and click again.
I swear Steve Balmer was there somewhere to come up with such a dog. (pun intended)

That explains a lot.

It's close.
I only saw Windows Bob once. What a fantastically bad idea. Instead of merely moving your mouse a few inches to open Word for instance, you would have to click on the door...wait until the "room" loaded and then click again, to which a window would open asking if you want to open Word...and click again.
I swear Steve Balmer was there somewhere to come up with such a dog. (pun intended)
I forgot all about Bob. Vaguely remember using it a few times and thought is was kind of strange. Reminded me also of that annoying Office assistant, Clippy..........

No, this doesn't mean Microsoft will automatically upgrade your XP, Vista or Windows 7.
The concept behind Win 10 was this it the last labeled Windows to come out and would instead be upgraded with Windows 10 version upgrades. Windows 10 version 1809 will reach it's extended end of life on November 10, 2020 and is slated for upgrade to version 2004, it's still Windows 10 just a newer version. Version 1809 will no longer receive security updates after that. To check which version you have press the Win and R keys together, type: "winver" in the popup window (withOUT the quotation marks), it will tell you which version you have. Mine is currently running version 1903 and it's end of life date is December 9, 2020 which means it's also probably slated for upgrading also.
This is just a heads up for everyone.

Windows 10 2004: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft | ZDNet

I bought a copy of Windows 7 a bit ago, and after like a year it popped up that it was not a legit version. I was told that someone must have sold the key to multiple users. I contacted Microsoft and they said if I showed proof of purchase hey would give me a free version of Windows 10. I hated to upgrade but I pretty much had to with a bad key and could no longer get updates and other Microsoft programs would no longer work. Mine is version 1903.

That explains a lot.

It's close.
I forgot all about Bob. Vaguely remember using it a few times and thought is was kind of strange. Reminded me also of that annoying Office assistant, Clippy..........
A little bit of trivia... all of Microsofts office characters were designed and developed on a Mac

It's been a while since I've been upgraded...

CPM-86.png

No, this doesn't mean Microsoft will automatically upgrade your XP, Vista or Windows 7.
The concept behind Win 10 was this it the last labeled Windows to come out and would instead be upgraded with Windows 10 version upgrades. Windows 10 version 1809 will reach it's extended end of life on November 10, 2020 and is slated for upgrade to version 2004, it's still Windows 10 just a newer version. Version 1809 will no longer receive security updates after that. To check which version you have press the Win and R keys together, type: "winver" in the popup window (withOUT the quotation marks), it will tell you which version you have. Mine is currently running version 1903 and it's end of life date is December 9, 2020 which means it's also probably slated for upgrading also.
This is just a heads up for everyone.

Windows 10 2004: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft | ZDNet

I bought a copy of Windows 7 a bit ago, and after like a year it popped up that it was not a legit version. I was told that someone must have sold the key to multiple users. I contacted Microsoft and they said if I showed proof of purchase hey would give me a free version of Windows 10. I hated to upgrade but I pretty much had to with a bad key and could no longer get updates and other Microsoft programs would no longer work. Mine is version 1903.
Yup, same thing happened with me, spent a half hour on the phone with a tech while looking for my purchase receipt. Luckily I had purchased it through Amazon and the electronic receipt was still there. Initially had called tech support about the system freezing up when I played certain games, while we got the validation corrected they couldn't figure out what the freeze up problem was. Turned out to be a couple of drivers.

RE: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft
⁜→ Bleipriester, meaner gene, et al,

BLUF: Legacy Issues are a pain in the ass.

You can run 64 bit programs, instead. So what is the problem?
The problem is legacy programs. Examples are programs for legacy Allen Bradly hardware (PLCs). AB (now rockwell) doesn't do upgrades, so you would have to buy a new version for several thousand dollars.
I don´t know about that but it sounds like ancient stuff.
(OBSEVATION)

I have been a Macintosh (Mac) since before the transition from the "Apple II" to the first generation "Mac." And periodically, I've myself struggling with all manner of issues (Peripherals, Software, Operating Systems, etc). Most recently, the legacy issue has popped up again.

This year I bought an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 64GB 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 to replace my iMac (mid-2010) 16GB 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor. The most peculiar transition issue has been the notices about my macOS Catalina. I am periodically getting notices pertaining to my legacy software Norton 360 Premium.

My experience has been that I will lose some functionality over time. The most recent example is the conflict between my
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer, which I purchased this year, and iMac. While the iMac can see the printer and print to it, the scanner cannot detect the iMac and scan to it.

(COMMENT)

The passage of time is not a critical factor when looking at legacy issues. It may be generational in terms of the code in which the systems interface.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

RE: Automatic upgrades coming to more PCs still on older versions, says Microsoft
⁜→ Bleipriester, meaner gene, et al,

You can run 64 bit programs, instead. So what is the problem?
The problem is legacy programs. Examples are programs for legacy Allen Bradly hardware (PLCs). AB (now rockwell) doesn't do upgrades, so you would have to buy a new version for several thousand dollars.
I don´t know about that but it sounds like ancient stuff.
(OBSEVATION)

I have been a Macintosh (Mac) since before the transition from the "Apple II" to the first generation "Mac." And periodically, I've myself struggling with all manner of issues (Peripherals, Software, Operating Systems, etc). Most recently, the legacy issue has popped up again.

This year I bought an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 64GB 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 to replace my iMac (mid-2010) 16GB 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor. The most peculiar transition issue has been the notices about my macOS Catalina. I am periodically getting notices pertaining to my legacy software Norton 360 Premium.

My experience has been that I will lose some functionality over time. The most recent example is the conflict between my
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer, which I purchased this year, and iMac. While the iMac can see the printer and print to it, the scanner cannot detect the iMac and scan to it.

(COMMENT)

The passage of time is not a critical factor when looking at legacy issues. It may be generational in terms of the code in which the systems interface.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R
Catalina only supports 64 bit software.

For those who still have windows 7 and looking to upgrade. I found this site and cannot vouch for it but one time Microsoft offered free upgrades from win 7. This article says the site is still active but Microsoft does not advertise that fact. He said he tried the upgraded in 2020.

well do your research and protect your information on your computer and backing up your files before trying this.

Here is the info below

⁜→ Bleipriester, et al,

Catalina only supports 64 bit software.
(COMMENT)

Well, this is not entirely true; but a damn good Rule of Thumb to remember.

I lost my Microsoft Office completely. But as an example:

• I have "Sky Gamblers-Storm Raiders 1" I lost it in the change to Catalina. I had to buy a replacement "Sky Gamblers-Storm Raiders 2." A bit of a loss.
• I have "Take Off - The Flight Simulator" and it came with a : Notice: This product is not compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. Click here for more information. But it works just fine. I'm not enough of a modern-day programmer to understand how that can be. I just know that it is.

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:
For those who still have windows 7 and looking to upgrade. I found this site and cannot vouch for it but one time Microsoft offered free upgrades from win 7. This article says the site is still active but Microsoft does not advertise that fact. He said he tried the upgraded in 2020.

well do your research and protect your information on your computer and backing up your files before trying this.

Here is the info below

It's true and I use it all the time.

Forum List

Back