Being retired

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
1620167896509.png

Nobody retires in Canada except the security apparatus and their low performing lineage along with a few career government hanger ons.

The end result is clear, Canada is a nation that investors and innovators avoid, even if born here...

People still tell me when I retire, I should just keep working until I am 80 (or when I drop dead. Whichever comes first). :oops::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

Although, I look forward to retiring, I am sure I will continue to be working. Of course, I have a long way to go...but I do want to travel the world and do my bucket list (which is longer than my two arms put together. Lol)

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky ones that will get to retire. I've lived from paycheck to paycheck all my life, and will have to end up working until I can't use my hands anymore.
Be happy you can still do the work. I unfortunately can not hardly stand and sitting is painful too.

I am relieved that I don't have to work as hard as I did before I retired. I just wish I was still able to do it.

Forced to retire here. I am thankful I have the means to retire. I can not stand to do nothing ,I will have to change my career path but want work to do some sort of good, maybe social work.

I am relieved that I don't have to work as hard as I did before I retired. I just wish I was still able to do it.
Are you sure you can’t? I’ve seen many people who think they must work, yet have a nice nest egg. Have you really analyzed it? Are you aware of the 4% Rule?

A family friend just assumed she couldn’t retire. Yet she had no debt, nice paid for home, and over $500k saved. She was still working at 66 when her employer told her retire or we fire you. She was making lots of mistakes and her attitude was poor. So, she retired took SS and is doing great.

Are you sure you can’t? I’ve seen many people who think they must work, yet have a nice nest egg. Have you really analyzed it? Are you aware of the 4% Rule?

A family friend just assumed she couldn’t retire. Yet she had no debt, nice paid for home, and over $500k saved. She was still working at 66 when her employer told her retire or we fire you. She was making lots of mistakes and her attitude was poor. So, she retired took SS and is doing great.
Getting a job wouldn't be a problem. My ex-employer would take me back in a minute. They occasionally call me in on a consulting basis now. I'm talking about physically being able to do the work. A full day's work in the hot sun today would probably damn near kill me. I wish I had the stamina I once had.

I retired in 2003 at age 55. Did a little consulting and teaching for awhile but nothing full time.

Nowadays I am doing the best job in the world. Being a grandfather.

I was surprised when I was shown I could retire. My wife was about to get 30 years in (only 55) and was reluctant to retire. I wanted her to. I told her we would go see a financial expert. After going over our finances he showed us where we both could retire. I have to admit that handling this is one area I have no interest in. I wish I could but I have none. He takes care of it and it's been great so far.

One note.........the one big reason we were able to pull this off is because we could afford to keep her health care. Through my work it would have cost twice as much. I still have 5.5 years to Medicare. She has just under 8 and we have a daughter still in college that is on our insurance.

Getting a job wouldn't be a problem. My ex-employer would take me back in a minute. They occasionally call me in on a consulting basis now. I'm talking about physically being able to do the work. A full day's work in the hot sun today would probably damn near kill me. I wish I had the stamina I once had.
So you would like to work as you did when you were younger, but you can’t now that your older. Sadly, this is a result of aging.

I wish I could play softball like I did when I was 20. Oh well, there’s lots of things we wish for.

So you would like to work as you did when you were younger, but you can’t now that your older. Sadly, this is a result of aging.

I wish I could play softball like I did when I was 20. Oh well, there’s lots of things we wish for.
That pretty much sums it up. Lots of great aspects to being older, But some parts of it really suck.

I was surprised when I was shown I could retire. My wife was about to get 30 years in (only 55) and was reluctant to retire. I wanted her to. I told her we would go see a financial expert. After going over our finances he showed us where we both could retire. I have to admit that handling this is one area I have no interest in. I wish I could but I have none. He takes care of it and it's been great so far.

One note.........the one big reason we were able to pull this off is because we could afford to keep her health care. Through my work it would have cost twice as much. I still have 5.5 years to Medicare. She has just under 8 and we have a daughter still in college that is on our insurance.
I know what you mean about being surprised. I had always worked and never considered not working. When i realized I hated my job, I started doing research on retirement and quickly realized we were in great shape to retire. So, we both retired and sold off or gave away everything. We bought a luxury diesel motorhome and have been traveling the country.

That pretty much sums it up. Lots of great aspects to being older, But some parts of it really suck.
Very true. As Bette Davis said, “Old age ain’t no place for sissies.”

Congrats! Just so I understand what you wrote, are you keeping your wife's health care through Cobra? Is that what you meant by being able to afford the keep her health care?

Forum List

Back