Best Satellite/WiFi service provider?

Picaro

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
Texas
I'm on a local cable provider piece of crap service now, and will be changing end of this month. I don't know anything about the satellite providers other than I know for a fact I'm never ever going to use AT&T for anything, and don't like what I've seen re Spectrum's prices versus its service, according to friends of mine who use that, which is almost all of them. Why they use it when they hate it I don't know.

Are Verizon and HughesNet any good?

I'm on a local cable provider piece of crap service now, and will be changing end of this month. I don't know anything about the satellite providers other than I know for a fact I'm never ever going to use AT&T for anything, and don't like what I've seen re Spectrum's prices versus its service, according to friends of mine who use that, which is almost all of them. Why they use it when they hate it I don't know.

I can tell you that the Verizon FIOS system sucks eggs with a poorly designed hardware, expensive as all get out and their remotes are strictly line of sight making them a super pain to use.

In contrast, the Echostar hardware used by DISH Network is among the best I've tried, but you definitely don't want to do business with them. I had DISH for a number of years and even though their crap broke down every couple of years they came out and quickly fixed it, then back in 2017 I think, one day the service went totally out, no reception at all, and when I called them up, they wanted to charge me $95 just to come out to see what the problem was!

Even if they were here for only 5 minutes, jiggled a wire and got it working again. Part of what you pay for is the rental of their gear. It is assumed that it will WORK and provide you with the service you pay for!

Not only did DISH try to get me to pay to fix their own gear, but they tried to continue to bill me for the package I wasn't getting after my service stopped.

After filing with the BBB (they do nothing) and DISH refusing to come out I cancelled my service. They then refused to come to get their gear, to pick up their receiver and take their antenna.

They tried their best to get me to rip out their gear for them, uninstall it all, box it up and ship it back to them.

Since then, about once a year, I still get a bill from them for a few hundred dollars, supposedly what they claim the value of their receiver is, the one I don't want, need and is apparently broken.

Last edited:

No. But... People have been pretty happy with Starlink. Won't be available for most people for at least 6 months though... And right now it's a high price, at 100 dollars a month and 500 for the equipment. They are saying it'll be up to a gig when finished, only running between 50-150 mbps at the moment.

Which is still then times faster and cheaper than what I get on a fiber right now. So.... Yeah.. The moment I can get it, I will. If you can't wait, I would suggest Viasat... It's not completely horrible.

Sorry, I'm with AT&T and DirecTV... for the record, except for the cost of DirecTV, I have no complaints...

To be fair, I do have the top tier plan...

We also have Amazon Prime... not bad.

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty much going to be stuck with a satellite service out here; only two other options I know for sure I don't want. Lot slower than cable but I don't do much online anyway of any importance, so cheap is fine, as long as it works good enough in off hours I'm happy. My contract runs out at the end of this month, but I can probably wait and just go use the library's cable service.

No. But... People have been pretty happy with Starlink. Won't be available for most people for at least 6 months though... And right now it's a high price, at 100 dollars a month and 500 for the equipment. They are saying it'll be up to a gig when finished, only running between 50-150 mbps at the moment.

Which is still then times faster and cheaper than what I get on a fiber right now. So.... Yeah.. The moment I can get it, I will. If you can't wait, I would suggest Viasat... It's not completely horrible.

Wow, I would have thought fiber would be the fastest and most reliable, though not available in many places yet, if ever. Installed and tested a lot of it back in the past in schools and military bases.

Wow, I would have thought fiber would be the fastest and most reliable, though not available in many places yet, if ever. Installed and tested a lot of it back in the past in schools and military bases.
It doesn't matter where you are... If there is no competition, they will rape you the best they can. I'm paying right at 100 for 8 mbps for fiber... 120 for 25 mbps for Viasat ( Satellite )... Yes... I pay for two internet connections. Because sometimes I want to fast download ( Cyberpunk 77 anyone?) and I also want to play or watch movies in at least 720p with a good responce time. ( Satellite does 480 consistently, but higher video rate kinda sucks... Skips ) And my fiber isn't really that reliable. It drops hours at a time sometimes. Usually pretty good, but it has it's days.

Starlink comes out... The MOMENT they offer it... I'll have it.

I have Hughes net. Its OK but I watch my bandwidth consumption so don't stream movies or any of that sort of foolishness. Basically it seems to be about the same as Comcrap was.

Forum List

Back