Best Stephen King Movies

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
1. Shawshank Redemption: Top ten movie ever made and the best prison picture

2. Stand By Me: Coming of age movie about kids walking down the railroad tracks to find a dead body

3. IT: Liked the TV version better than the movie, but Pennywise is damned scary

4. The Shining: Jack Nicholson’s best movie terrorizing his family

5. The Green Mile: Another prison movie with Tom Hanks and Mr Jingles

6. Dolores Claiborne: Psychological thriller with Kathy Bates

7. Carrie: Kings first and made Sissy Spaceck a star

8. Dead Zone: Christopher Walkens best role as a man who emerges from a coma with special powers

9. Misery: Kathy Bates captures her favorite writer

10. Christine: Haunted car

Last edited:
1618623567071.png

Pretty good, though neither IT nor The Shining would make my list.

The Dead Zone was phenomenally atmospheric. I'd have the TV Salem's Lot on the list too, even though they made Mr. Barlow a large rat.

Captain Trips | Stephen King Wiki | Fandom
Captain Trips is an extremely deadly virus, able to be transmitted as easily as the common flu it is based on, with far more lethal results. It has a communicability rate of 99.4%, meaning that all but a tiny few of humans can catch it. The virus starts out like a common cold, causing weariness, nasal congestion and sneezing, and most people who catc
  • Immunity
  • Aftermath
  • Appearances
  • It is unknown how a given human or animal can be immune to the superflu, but based on the United States Military's own knowledge of the virus (from data on it in the files of Project Blue), 0.6% of the human race was immune to it. Most likely, immunity is genetic, and would be that way for the animals capable of catching the virus as well.Colonel Richard Deitz, operating in Atlanta, then in Vermont after the Plague Center in Atlanta was compromised, led the effort to find a cure for the virus...

2. Stand By Me: Coming of age movie about kids walking down the railroad tracks to find a dead body

3. IT: Liked the TV version better than the movie, but Pennywise is damned scary

8. Dead Zone: Christopher Walkers best role as a man who emerges from a coma with special powers

I always enjoyed the Dead Zone. Some of the most memorable lines for me, that image of Walkens telling Martin Sheen "it's over, you're finished". Stuck with me as the ultimate in human sacrifice, and the way in which he convinced himself to that point was a reasonably well constructed and believable process.

The Mist was top notch, surprisingly suspenseful for what it was. In some ways a modern knock off of the classic "The Fog", the backdrop at least.

Salems Lot when I was a kid. I had nightmares that night, not sure how I was able to stay up late to watch it, we had company. The rocking chair scene scared me to hell.

Misery was definitely a great movie due to the acting. Kathy Bates was psychotic scary. The true kind of delusional that can and does exist in this world.

Ironically, I don't find him to be a superior writer, I just find he fragments the "hooks" well placed. He doesn't build movies as well as some, not as subtle or mysteriously, but, he always has well defined scenes taken from his books.

Haven‘t seen it
Was it a movie or TV mini-series?

The Stand is an American post-apocalypse streaming television miniseries, based on the 1978 novel of the same name by Stephen King. The plot centers on a pandemic resulting from a mishap at a military biological research station which allows the escape of a lethal strain of influenza. After the pandemic kills almost the entire world population, the few survivors are drawn to one of two figures, one dark and one light, setting up a final good-vs-evil confrontation.

Attachments

• 1618624139010.jpeg
    1618624139010.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 42

8. Dead Zone: Christopher Walkers best role as a man who emerges from a coma with special powers

I like Pet Cemetary, too, but not Christine. I loved the book but all the things I couldn't wait for in the movie, they cut out completely.

Also the new one. Dr. Sleep. May be my favourite, after the Shining.

I've seen 2 of those. They were only average. Enough not to waste my time for 24 hrs of life with the rest.

did read half of one of his books. Worst thing I ever read on paper

You have missed a lot
Sorry dude for my posts. I deleted them. I never knew we had a Review board......LOL I got to get in the habit of looking where the hell I'm at. Its these side posts that first come out

Haven‘t seen it
Was it a movie or TV mini-series?

The Stand is an American post-apocalypse streaming television miniseries, based on the 1978 novel of the same name by Stephen King. The plot centers on a pandemic resulting from a mishap at a military biological research station which allows the escape of a lethal strain of influenza. After the pandemic kills almost the entire world population, the few survivors are drawn to one of two figures, one dark and one light, setting up a final good-vs-evil confrontation.

There are two versions. One a TV miniseries from the 90s with Gary Sinise, which was not terrible. The other a recent Showtime project, which I have not seen, nor do I know anyone who has.

Ironically, I don't find him to be a superior writer, I just find he fragments the "hooks" well placed. He doesn't build movies as well as some, not as subtle or mysteriously, but, he always has well defined scenes taken from his books.

I find he usually spins a good yarn. Most books are page turners.
His endings sometimes seem a bit of a letdown......let’s just blow everything up.

If you look at my list, most of my top ones were either non-horror or minimal horror.

The Dark Tower was a good one! I have it on DVD.

View attachment 480754

View attachment 480755

People who read the books had problems with it. I have not read the books, and rather enjoyed the film. Elba was great in the role as laid out, and the kid was pretty good too.
I didn't really have any problems with it. The series is 4,250 pages. No way to compress all that into a 2-hour movie without leaving most of it out.

The movie did pretty good, for what it was. I liked Elba's portrayal of the gunslinger.

Forum List

Back