Biden can’t afford to make the same mistakes as Obama did in Cuba

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011

What to do about Cuba could quickly become an uncomfortable political question for President-elect Joe Biden. He’ll soon arrive at a fork on the road. Should he veer right or left?

As Biden crafts his foreign policy, one of his administration’s most prickly dilemmas is wrapped in this simple question:

Should the United States return to its 2014 efforts – when Barack Obama was president and Biden his VP – to reestablish relations and diplomatic ties with the Cuban government, wiping away the 60-year U.S. embargo against the communist island? And if he has any intention of doing so, he’ll have to wrangle concessions from the regime before any resumption of relations. The Obama administration’s failure to do so doomed the historic rapprochement.

Of course, this is not foreign politics in South Florida; it’s local politics.

Exiles backed Trump

I'm not calling them Exiles. They supported Battista. Secondly, they are a tiny island. I'm not sure what "concessions" there are to be wrangled. the embargo is stupid. Designating Cuba as a state sponsor of Terrorism is stupid.

What to do about Cuba could quickly become an uncomfortable political question for President-elect Joe Biden. He’ll soon arrive at a fork on the road. Should he veer right or left?

As Biden crafts his foreign policy, one of his administration’s most prickly dilemmas is wrapped in this simple question:

Should the United States return to its 2014 efforts – when Barack Obama was president and Biden his VP – to reestablish relations and diplomatic ties with the Cuban government, wiping away the 60-year U.S. embargo against the communist island? And if he has any intention of doing so, he’ll have to wrangle concessions from the regime before any resumption of relations. The Obama administration’s failure to do so doomed the historic rapprochement.

Exiles backed Trump

I'm not calling them Exiles. They supported Battista. Secondly, they are a tiny island. I'm not sure what "concessions" there are to be wrangled. the embargo is stupid. Designating Cuba as a state sponsor of Terrorism is stupid.

I am sure that prez Biden's agenda has long ago been laid out for him. All big Joe needs to do is rubber stamp his signature upon the papers in front of the Major Managed News Media cameras, then head home for some shy eye.

Exiles backed Trump

Today is the day Trump will be declared the President elect. We will hear the whinning and blubbering of the democRats, while others scramble to hide in their rat holes. We know more truth about Cuba than any other country. Because Cuba is not in the news. So it's not lied about.

Exiles backed Trump

I am sure that prez Biden's agenda has long ago been laid out for him. All big Joe needs to do is rubber stamp his signature upon the papers in front of the Major Managed News Media cameras, then head home for some shy eye.

1609947635807.png

Trump's fatal mistake on US relations with Cuba.

Where were Trump's foreign policy advisors when he made the decision on Cuba relations. China has rushed in to fill Cuba's needs and will now exclude the US. The link makes the point over and over again how this is a disastrous mistake for America.

All for the sake of Trump needing to reverse any progress Obama had made?
This could prove to be one of Trump's costliest mistakes, as China moves into Cuba with economic aid and later with military might in the form of a naval base.

Including nuclear in exchange for US nuclear arms presence in China's sphere of influence.

China’s foothold on the island​

In 2011, China wrote off US$6 billion of Cuba’s debt. Esteban Morales, a political scientist, said "this cancellation has more weight in the relationship of both governments than even the political ideology they enact."

$6billion
the amount of Cuba's debt China cancelled in 2011 (US$)
The gesture is not insignificant. In the last 18 years, only a handful of countries outside Sub-Saharan Africa have been relieved of debt.

Forum List

Back