Big cats

shoshi

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2020
The Arabian leopard is almost extinct. The Persian leopard endangered. They once lived in the wild here but now only in sanctuaries. At least they will live on in sanctuary.

There is a restaurant chain in Africa called "Hungry Lion". I'm not sure that I would want to go into joint with "Hungry Lion" on the door, even if it was written in Swahili.

LOL....I live near the Smithsonian/National Zoo's Conservation and Biology Institute and for years they had a job posting on usajobs.gov for a "Big Cat Wrangler". I don't know if they ever filled it or not. ;)

It's a big place of 3200 acres.....Starting in 1909 and through both WW-I & II it served as a remount depot supplying horses and mules to the US Military. Then it became a .gov beef cattle research station and finally the national zoo took it over.

In WW-II it also housed 600 or so German and Italian POWs at a camp on the property. I think the camp was located top center in the pic but it was torn down shortly after the war.

aimg_8969smithsonian-front-royal-05-15-2013_web.jpg

Not quite half is pictured.

Now talking about lions I can't get this song out of my head. One of the most powerful if not the most powerful introduction to any song ever. :D

LOL....I live near the Smithsonian/National Zoo's Conservation and Biology Institute and for years they had a job posting on usajobs.gov for a "Big Cat Wrangler". I don't know if they ever filled it or not. ;)

It's a big place of 3200 acres.....Starting in 1909 and through both WW-I & II it served as a remount depot supplying horses and mules to the US Military. Then it became a .gov beef cattle research station and finally the national zoo took it over.

In WW-II it also housed 600 or so German and Italian POWs at a camp on the property. I think the camp was located top center in the pic but it was torn down shortly after the war.

aimg_8969smithsonian-front-royal-05-15-2013_web.jpg

Not quite half is pictured.

If I'd have had ANYBODY tell me when I was younger that I could get a job being a Cat Wrangler or working at an animal preserve.........I would have gone to school for that!!!
That would be my DREAM JOB!

But it's unfortunate nobody ever talks to kids about the jobs that are out there in the world. Even in todays "high tech" environment, nobody ever tells kids the HUGE assortment of working people they can be when they grow up!!!

If I'd have had ANYBODY tell me when I was younger that I could get a job being a Cat Wrangler or working at an animal preserve.........I would have gone to school for that!!!
That would be my DREAM JOB!

But it's unfortunate nobody ever talks to kids about the jobs that are out there in the world. Even in todays "high tech" environment, nobody ever tells kids the HUGE assortment of working people they can be when they grow up!!!
Yeah, lots of locals work there. They also provide specialized fodder for the Smithsonian's National Zoo in DC and other zoos. Most of it is like a big farm.

My FIL worked the POWs there till they opened a defense plant in my AO. I know one guy that went to work there before he got out of HS and still works there some 50 years later.

It's a big deal in my AO to land a job there.

Forum List

Back