Both sides of the coin

You meanie. You made me look up "asphedoras". I dropped into Google and Google sent me right back here. And to several other threads on other boards.

Next question: if you're asking trolls who are willing to be honest..... why was I invited? As a judge I presume...?

I suspect it's simply people getting carried away with emotions. That's like a drug that clouds everything else. You can't have a rational thought when you're drowning in anger.

Having said that I'd like to find a way to use asphedoras in a sentence...

"Harry Truman is a haberdasher. He asphedoras."

:dunno:

Ahem.

An Asphedoras is a prehistoric creature, one of the ugliest that ever existed. It looked like an anatomical inversion, where it's ass what where it's face was supposed to be.

Word has it that Asphedorii stank so bad that even the biggest of Dinos gave them a wide berth.

thing.jpg

Some claim that a couple of Asphedorii survived, as Neo-Asphorites, but this is not yet confirmed. Some sightings have been claimed to be made:

fat-ugly-girl-non-nude-pictures.jpg

But as I said, this has not yet been confirmed.

Others claim that Asphedora is actually an herb that causes anal warts.

Take yer pick.

:D

You argue that we should never attack people, then use a picture of a real person simply to make a stupid joke. Do uyou see why I refuse to let you dictate how I talk to the scumbags that demand something from me they don't give to others?

In case you missed it, I just called you a scumbag.

Actually, no you didn't. That was two different posters you lumped together.

Some things make me seriously angry. Blood boiling, (virtual) wall punching angry. Sometimes I'm willing to express those feelings in an understated manner but sometimes I let loose. Then people say I've changed. But I haven't changed. I'm conscious of the dangers associated with hyperbole -- danger to the atmosphere, danger to the goals one ostensibly favors and danger to one's own cognitive processes -- so I take some care. And usually I enjoy calm discussions, often with an element of rigor. But sometimes I enjoy lobbing hand grenades. It's not a change. There's a time for every purpose.

You know, I'd be more inclined to believe that if it wasn't for your avatar. ;)

But is there really a fight?

Who is it that wants a fight and what exactly are they fighting about?

The best way to win a fight is not to have one in the first place. If you can turn enemies into friends then you have already won the fight without anyone getting hurt.

Anger and rage are the emotions that drive people to fight.

Reason and logic are what enable us to live together in peace and harmony.

What emotion is driving We the People towards fighting one another?

What is the source of that emotion?

Who is behind it and what is their motivation towards feeding that rage and anger?

Those are the questions that reasonable and logical people should be asking ourselves.

The answers could easily result in uniting We the People instead of dividing us.

Excellent points!! What is to be gained by keeping us at each other's throats? Then we won't be looking at what is actually happening with the man behind the curtain. We won't be holding Washington responsible, and they can quite literally get away with murder while aiming us at each other.

polarization has set in. and is going to be something that is real hard to break. the real problem is politicians no longer have minds for themselves. in Washington, you either tow the party line or you are out. Not every democrat believes in gun control and not every republican believes in preventing gay marriage. but the problem is partisan politics force politicians to support the party line. and that is what leads to the public galvanizing to the right or left. as soon as an issue you are very passionate about becomes a topic of discussion you are pushed to either the right or left, because you know one part is going to fully support you or oppose you. There is no middle ground

It is up to We the People to find our own middle ground. We the People are not helpless pawns. We can decide for ourselves to reject the polorization and find common ground. Put outside the extreme demands and we are in agreement on at least 80% of what needs to be done. The remaining 10% on each side should not be enough to keep us at each other's throats.

Just as we can choose how to interact in this forum we can also choose how we want to move forward together. Do we want to continue to drag each other down or do we want to respect each other for the individuals that we are and work together on the common cause that is the future we will leave to our children and grandchildren?

If there is a "war" then, with all due respect, it is all in your mind. We the People are still UNITED by our common heritage and the Rule of Law. That you believe that it is perfectly acceptable to step beyond the bounds of civil discourse and falsely accuse others of things that are blatantly untrue just exposes how weak your position actually is.

You wouldn't know the rule of law if it slapped you in the face.

Hint, the rule of law is not having a separate set of laws for people based solely on the fact that they work for the government. (Example New York's new gun control law, AKA SAFE, that allows police, and former police, to purchase weapons that are specifically prohibited to everyone else. Funny thing, every gun control law ever written does the same thing.) If you support gun control, you stand in opposition to the rule of law.

That you used the term "war" also indicates that you have the intent of "destroying" your fellow Americans. So either you don't understand the meaning of the term or you really are motivated to cause actual harm and suffering to your fellow citizens. Which is it?

He used the term "War of words" asshole. If you can show me how words cause actual destruction, you will have a point. The fact that I am still hear, disputing your idiocy, should make that considerably harder, especially when you factor in the total contempt you throw into every reply you make to my posts.

You claim to use "REALITY, logic, and Reason......NOT EMOTION" and yet you thanked the utterly illogical and mindless allegation by Tank that liberals "ignore reality". That argument can be used even more effectively against the extreme right who were willing to actually destroy not only the economy but the credit rating for the entire nation. How many hundreds of millions of people's lives would have been harmed?

The fact that you cannot follow the logic, flawed as it is, does not prove that the logic does not exist. That is the neat thing about logic, it can reach totally different conclusions using the same starting point simply by applying different premises.

For example, the premise that the right wing wants to destroy the nation's credit rating, despite the fact that they oppose the unsustainable debt because they see it as the real risk, while you see the problem as the government not spending money even though they don't have it, proves that it is possible to use logic correctly, and still disagree.

A genuine debate on the size of government is not a "war", but an attempt to find a compromise that everyone can accept. If your attitude is that your side is 100% right and everyone else is wrong then you have already conceded your position because it is UNREALISTIC for any reasonable person to embrace such a stance.

Is this a admission that you are wrong? If it isn't, you should print this out and post it on your mirror until you understand that you are part of the problem, not the solution.

So per the OP you are admitting to proudly wearing an "asphedora" because you are engaged in an "emotional war" that will result in great harm and suffering to innocent people if you prevail.

Tell me something, how can you harangue someone for using emotion when you are one of the most emotional posters on this board?

If, on the other hand, you are truly capable of "logic and reason" you will recognize that what you are currently doing is futile and adopt a more reasonable tone and using logic and persuasion instead to reach a compromise solution.

Your choice!

It is impossible to be reasonable with asshats who refuse to use reason.

Yes, that was a reference to you.

To HELL with Political Correctness.............When Ideals are so opposite, there is WAR........And in a War of words there will be mean things said and mud slinging. It's the nature of the beast..............

There is a divide in this country...........A line in the sand of opposing positions....Both sides dedicated to their core principles............In the fight, feelings will get hurt and words will be said...............

Tank's comments aren't wrong..........He believes that the Liberal mindset escapes REALITY...........and I agree....................

Should PC demand that he shouldn't say that.........It is his opinion, and I agree.........I post based on beliefs, REALITY, logic, and Reason..............NOT EMOTION...........and thus the divide............

If there is a "war" then, with all due respect, it is all in your mind. We the People are still UNITED by our common heritage and the Rule of Law. That you believe that it is perfectly acceptable to step beyond the bounds of civil discourse and falsely accuse others of things that are blatantly untrue just exposes how weak your position actually is.

That you used the term "war" also indicates that you have the intent of "destroying" your fellow Americans. So either you don't understand the meaning of the term or you really are motivated to cause actual harm and suffering to your fellow citizens. Which is it?

You claim to use "REALITY, logic, and Reason......NOT EMOTION" and yet you thanked the utterly illogical and mindless allegation by Tank that liberals "ignore reality". That argument can be used even more effectively against the extreme right who were willing to actually destroy not only the economy but the credit rating for the entire nation. How many hundreds of millions of people's lives would have been harmed?

A genuine debate on the size of government is not a "war", but an attempt to find a compromise that everyone can accept. If your attitude is that your side is 100% right and everyone else is wrong then you have already conceded your position because it is UNREALISTIC for any reasonable person to embrace such a stance.

So per the OP you are admitting to proudly wearing an "asphedora" because you are engaged in an "emotional war" that will result in great harm and suffering to innocent people if you prevail.

If, on the other hand, you are truly capable of "logic and reason" you will recognize that what you are currently doing is futile and adopt a more reasonable tone and using logic and persuasion instead to reach a compromise solution.

Your choice!

That get 1000 Yepps!!!

The scumbag agrees with the asshat that everyone else is the problem, what a fucking surprise.

So given that verbal abuse is counterproductive to making reasoned ponts, you're saying your purpose here is not to make any particular argumentative point, but to feel good about yourself by abusing others. Which I think is what the OP wants to explain -- why that would be a goal at all.

Absolutely not. Political talk is firmly verboten there. Same in the Tavern. Ask Libertarianman how that goes down. In both threads.

I have stated repeatedly that I do not come here to try to change the minds of lefties. It cannot be done. Neither do I come here to get my opinions validated by anyone. I do not require that. I come here to network with other conservatives, aid them in their effort to counter the left wing nuttery (as futile as that may be), and the only reasons I ever respond to lefties is in case they make a point that needs debunking for the benefit of the conservative readers or when I just want to point and laugh at them.

Often times if I start a thread, I feel an obligation to respond to posts in my thread and I will do so.

So we're in agreement about why you're here. That's not a mystery.
What we wonder about is why that's why you're here. Because you need an echo chamber? That's it?

Because if that's it.... you're losing out. Big time.

Wrong, read it again. You tried to imply that I post like that to feel better about myself, I quite clearly stated otherwise.

I have already said why I am here. At least read the dang post!

Last edited:
Except real debate is not supposed to be about starting a fight, and it is not supposed to be about demonizing a person, it's supposed to be about vigorously defending your ideas/ideals by applying logic and at the same time, deconstructing the ideas/ ideals of your opponent by using logic as well.

Two great debators should be able to shake hands before and after a really rough and rugged debate and not think ill of each other.

An opponent is not an enemy.

Making someone else the "demon" just because he does not share your ideology or culture is the cheap way out, imo. It requires the least energy of all. So, essentially, trolls are lazy asses.

For instance, Tank wrote this:

Instead of attacking the idea, he attacked the person. That is the cheap way out. And notice the Nazi who thanked him for his input. That speaks volumes.

Hey, [MENTION=18975]Tank[/MENTION], instead of attacking a person, why not bring some information to the table?

To HELL with Political Correctness.............When Ideals are so opposite, there is WAR........And in a War of words there will be mean things said and mud slinging. It's the nature of the beast..............

There is a divide in this country...........A line in the sand of opposing positions....Both sides dedicated to their core principles............In the fight, feelings will get hurt and words will be said...............

Tank's comments aren't wrong..........He believes that the Liberal mindset escapes REALITY...........and I agree....................

Should PC demand that he shouldn't say that.........It is his opinion, and I agree.........I post based on beliefs, REALITY, logic, and Reason..............NOT EMOTION...........and thus the divide............

Your choice!

Wow! What a wild interpretation of what was written.

Ahem.

An Asphedoras is a prehistoric creature, one of the ugliest that ever existed. It looked like an anatomical inversion, where it's ass what where it's face was supposed to be.

Word has it that Asphedorii stank so bad that even the biggest of Dinos gave them a wide berth.

thing.jpg

Some claim that a couple of Asphedorii survived, as Neo-Asphorites, but this is not yet confirmed. Some sightings have been claimed to be made:

Take yer pick.

HYPOCRITE...............................

Op is about PC, and turns to mud slinging with pics of big fat woman, and a monster...............

Weren't you supposed to ignore and move on...............

:lol:

Another part of debating and civillity is also having enough common sense to know when someone is using humor.

I'm sorry, someone can't teach you that. Either you go the knack for it, or you don't.

Enjoy your crocodile tears. They don't even phase my teflon.

Excuse me, scumbag, offensive jokes are still offensive. You cannot take a position that it is wrong to use language that is offensive and then dismiss your offensiveness as a joke. That is inconsistent, and proof beyond anything I could say that you don't actually believe what you are saying, you just want other people to pretend to agree with you so that you don't have to deal with them pointing out that you are a scumbag.

I on the other hand, would be perfectly consistent in arguing that something I said is a joke because I consistently argue that you do not have a right to be offended.

So, once again, the scumbag is wrong. What a surprise.

Last edited:

You wouldn't know the rule of law if it slapped you in the face.

Hint, the rule of law is not having a separate set of laws for people based solely on the fact that they work for the government. (Example New York's new gun control law, AKA SAFE, that allows police, and former police, to purchase weapons that are specifically prohibited to everyone else. Funny thing, every gun control law ever written does the same thing.) If you support gun control, you stand in opposition to the rule of law.

He used the term "War of words" asshole. If you can show me how words cause actual destruction, you will have a point. The fact that I am still hear, disputing your idiocy, should make that considerably harder, especially when you factor in the total contempt you throw into every reply you make to my posts.

The fact that you cannot follow the logic, flawed as it is, does not prove that the logic does not exist. That is the neat thing about logic, it can reach totally different conclusions using the same starting point simply by applying different premises.

For example, the premise that the right wing wants to destroy the nation's credit rating, despite the fact that they oppose the unsustainable debt because they see it as the real risk, while you see the problem as the government not spending money even though they don't have it, proves that it is possible to use logic correctly, and still disagree.

Is this a admission that you are wrong? If it isn't, you should print this out and post it on your mirror until you understand that you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Tell me something, how can you harangue someone for using emotion when you are one of the most emotional posters on this board?

Your choice!

It is impossible to be reasonable with asshats who refuse to use reason.

Yes, that was a reference to you.

He's "still hear", yet will not hear. :lmao:

Thanks for this comprehensive demo of the self-defeating inevitable result of ad hominem.
shoot-foot.gif

Ahem.

thing.jpg

Take yer pick.

HYPOCRITE...............................

Op is about PC, and turns to mud slinging with pics of big fat woman, and a monster...............

Weren't you supposed to ignore and move on...............

:lol:

Thank you, I had the same reaction.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

This is why I don't get offended when [MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] asks for a little less of my vitriol from me. Not only is she willing to dish it out when she thinks it is needed, and still deal with the person behind the post as a real human being, she doesn't give people who defend her position a free pass when they cross the line.

I've only used the Ignore function on the most obnxious posters.

for instance, I put a certain poster on ignore because he'd fill a page with his hostage note posts that used all 64 crayons in the box and were a distraction to read, even if I might have even agreed with him on some point. (I won't mention him by name because I think he's been banned.)

I also put people on ignore when they send me PM's I didn't ask for.

Other than that, I find scrolling really quickly past idiots works just as well as putting them on ignore.

I was going to joke about how you have yourself on ignore, but I have to agree that the poster you are talking about deserves to be on ignore.

I do use the space bar occasionally though.

I'm here for entertainment purposes only.

I don't take anyone here seriously.

I don't divulge to much information about myself as there are some real nut jobs with serious mental issues posting.

The racists on this board are just plain nuts. Those that believe in conspiracies, are also out of touch with reality. There are extremist left and right that are a little off.

Then you have people that post 40 plus posts a day...they got issues.

So I say my peace, stay away from personal stuff.

The best board I ever posted on was The Atlantic's board about ten years ago.
There, any form of flaming was not tolerated, period. That attracted some very intelligent posters from all sides of the aisle and from all over the world. Needless to say the discussions were extremely intelligent and informative. I spent quite a bit of my free time there because it was so invigorating. On several occasions these discussions impacted my opinion of a topic.
There are some days on log on here, read a few threads and bail. I get really tired of the screamers throwing insults and hate sans anything intelligent to add to the topic. It's talking points-arama here some days with the same exact fact-less talking points being spewed over and over by several different posters. And of course the flaming is spreading like wildfire.
I am happy to say that the poster population at USMB doesn't represent the demographics of the real world. :eusa_angel:

Two things to say about that:

1. We have the CDZ
2. There is a board that is close regulated like you like and yet, no minds are ever changed and nothing gets solved.

Some people such as yourself just like to debate and that's fine. I would agree that some people find it difficult to debate when there is a lot of rudeness flying around. That however is not true with everyone.

Mind you, I usually don't start off with verbal tirades, if someone actually wants to know something, I am happy to educate. There are just some posters here who have earned nothing but scorn, IMO.

I've only used the Ignore function on the most obnxious posters.

for instance, I put a certain poster on ignore because he'd fill a page with his hostage note posts that used all 64 crayons in the box and were a distraction to read, even if I might have even agreed with him on some point. (I won't mention him by name because I think he's been banned.)

I also put people on ignore when they send me PM's I didn't ask for.

Other than that, I find scrolling really quickly past idiots works just as well as putting them on ignore.

He's not banned. He disappeared back in May. I'm a bit worried, but it is after all a message board, and since he didn't bother to connect with people, there is no way to find (and check on) him.

You are correct, he is still a member.

Just hasn't posted since May 8th.

You probably didn't notice, but he actually toned down the colors before he left.

Damn good thread...but confusing. Lightbulbs have gone on and off, my head has nodded and then shaken side to side, I have been murmuring "yeah!" and immediately after reading a differing view I murmur "um, no!". I think I have a headache and its jut past noon fercrissakes.

People are people. I know..strawman. Cliche'. Yes, I know. But how else can one explain a place where many different personalities congregate? I know one thing. I am taking every person I have OFF ignore, because some I forgot about posted in this thread and what they had to say made a helluvalot of sense. So what else am I missing, not seeing what else they have to say in other subjects that makes my head nod up and down instead of side to side?

Does it get to me sometimes, this constant bickering? Oh hell yes. Just like a dripping faucet would....but I love hearing drips from rain. They go hand in hand, depending on ones frame of mind in that instant of time for each individual.

The ONLY thing that makes me bugshit is...the labels of political affiliation....or supposed affiliation. Does everyone here have xray vision where they can see the Liberal/Conservative/lefty/righty on the posters foreheads? Who knows who is what? They don't. So why assume and hold it as some sort of weapon to be used to "make your case" about why you disagree with them...or agree with them? What about independents? Can you see those too?

And...does it matter which way they lean in the grand scheme of things???

Some things make me seriously angry. Blood boiling, (virtual) wall punching angry. Sometimes I'm willing to express those feelings in an understated manner but sometimes I let loose. Then people say I've changed. But I haven't changed. I'm conscious of the dangers associated with hyperbole -- danger to the atmosphere, danger to the goals one ostensibly favors and danger to one's own cognitive processes -- so I take some care. And usually I enjoy calm discussions, often with an element of rigor. But sometimes I enjoy lobbing hand grenades. It's not a change. There's a time for every purpose.

You know, I'd be more inclined to believe that if it wasn't for your avatar. ;)

There's a time for every lolcat. :eusa_shifty:

Except real debate is not supposed to be about starting a fight, and it is not supposed to be about demonizing a person, it's supposed to be about vigorously defending your ideas/ideals by applying logic and at the same time, deconstructing the ideas/ ideals of your opponent by using logic as well.

Two great debators should be able to shake hands before and after a really rough and rugged debate and not think ill of each other.

An opponent is not an enemy.

Making someone else the "demon" just because he does not share your ideology or culture is the cheap way out, imo. It requires the least energy of all. So, essentially, trolls are lazy asses.

There is a certain divide some people have in the way they interpret what they are saying versus the response they get.
People generally think they are right ... And as mentioned before ... They generally think that how they say something means they are more correct and justified.

A crash course in intent and civility ...

"Would you please step aside so I can pass" ... And ... "Get the fuck out of my way" ... Mean the same thing, and expect the same results.
One is certainly more pleasant and civil than the other ... But it doesn't change who has the right to ask the other person to move ... Or who is more correct in asking.

Because a person may want to debate an idea ... And doesn't get the response they want ... Doesn't make the respondent wrong.
If it is simply a matter of civility ... And posters don't want to face the harsh realities of what they would like to suggest ... Then there is a Clean Debate Zone here.
The only real difference is the way some people think that when they are more civil and don't cut to the bone of an issue ... That the way they say something determines how correct their ideas are.
Those people just lack the understanding necessary to see that they are not debating anything ... When they are just sitting around fussing and acting like they are smart and being self righteous in the process.

"I don't think you are adding anything positive to the conversation and we don't need your input" ... And ... "Shut the hell up, and sit the fuck down" ... Mean the same thing.

Note ...
You cannot hide what you think from someone who knows what to look for ... And in written text, you have no control over how what you write is interpreted by the person that reads it once posted.
There is no difference in you calling people lazy asses, Nazi's and trolls than them telling you to take a long walk on a short pier.

You and I could shake hands at any point and time ... Share a few cold ones ... Talk about something we were closer to in ideology.
But if you cannot respect someone who doesn't think you are any smarter or more correct because you said "Please" ... Then you can go fuck yourself for all I care.

Are you beginning to see how this works?

So let me repeat what I just heard from you.
There is no difference whatsoever between being a crude and boorish versus civil and polite.
Is that your point in a nutshell?

Because if that is your point then society is about to deteriorate into anarchy. Our ability to communicate thoughts and ideas depends upon co-operation and yes, civility. Imagine if the theory of gravity was expressed as "things fall down, fucktards". Or religion as "get on your knees and pray or I will beat the crap out of you". Because according to what you just posted they "Mean the same thing".

So if we need a civilized tone to express concepts like religion and science why is politics any different?

Now I could leave this right here but I am going to take it a step further because this goes to the motivation of those using vulgarities.

Pointing out politely that someone has failed to make their argument versus telling them where to shove it is the difference between being an adult and a child. Yes, there is a puerile reward to being rude to someone. An adult has learned to restrain themselves and knows how to behave themselves.

So yes, I most definitely do "see how this works"!

Of course that isn't his point.

His point is that the people who insist on civility while veiling their insults are self righteous. If you don't believe me, perhaps you will believe an expert on etiquette.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Manners-Citizens-Guide-Civility/dp/0609801589"]Miss Manners: A Citizen's Guide to Civility: Judith Martin: 9780609801581: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Have you ever stopped and asked why these things make you angry, Amelia? Have you ever tried to analyze them and figure out exactly what pushed your emotional buttons?

Because understanding what makes you so angry gives you a means to control your own reaction.

As far as I am concerned the #1 thing that ticks me off is when I know that someone is deliberately lying to me. I am one of those people who refuses to lie even to myself. So when people are trying to deceive me it can get me riled up. But instead of punching the walls I back off and go for a walk and think about it for a while. Then I come up with a strategy to deal with the liar and the lies in a calm and rational manner instead.

Actually, I changed my mind. Again. I left 3 on. They never add to any conversation except to vomit the same ol bile.

Forum List

Back