Breaking Bad: The Final 8

Sunday, 9/1:

Anyone care to speculate on the outcome of this amazing plot twist?

Things aren't looking very good for Walt but one thing is certain; if Walt learns Jesse is living with Hank and plotting against him Walt's horns will pop out and his most diabolical aspect will surface. And one way for him to find out is if Junior stops by to visit Uncle Hank and Aunt Marie, notices something peculiar and mentions it to Walt and Skyler.

Another thought I have is Jesse overhears Hank badmouthing him to Gomez, causing him to re-evaluate his situation and recall how many times Walt has saved his bacon, which brings about a change of heart. But should that happen I'm not so sure Walt would abandon his realization that Jesse is an unpredictable loose cannon who must be eliminated.

Also, I'm not forgetting the vial of Ricin Walt removed from behind a switch-plate hiding place about six episodes back. That element is still in play and maybe this is its time and place.

Anyway, there are five episodes to go and Walt has always managed to amaze us. So I can't wait to see how he deals with this menacing situation.

It will be a long time before a show this well written comes our way again. I'll take a swing.

This is All speculation; I apologize for any spoilers that may come out of this.

*******Possible Spoiler Alert Below*************

Hank eventually arrests Walt but the one thing tying Walt to Gale Boettecher besides Jesse's unofficial deposition was the Leaves of Grass message. It will turn out that it was sent to Walt by Gretchen Black who was a one time love interest of Walt. Otherwise, why have that scene in Gray Matter and those scenes during the clean-up of the blood in the hallway of Jesse's old house? Seems like they had to have been there for a reason. Also when he finds Leaves of Grass, Walt smiled. I doubt he'd be smiling at something given to him by Gale. So the arrest is done but they can't hold him since the "official" evidence is now gone. Hank doesn't bring up the "confession" because it makes him look culpable too--especially since we've gone 5 episodes now without him going to the DEA himself and telling his superiors what he knows.

Jesse turns State's evidence. However, they don't get Walt so Jesse is the only one who ends up in jail. Walt still needs to off Jesse because it will be a matter of time before he starts remembering possible ties such as Hanks' fingerprints on Jesse's money, his DNA at the house from the fight they had etc... That is what the M60 is for.

The "gang" Walt used to off the legacy expenses turns of Walt and can't reach Jesse since he is in Federal Custody so Walt undertakes one marathon cooking session to pay off his "debt" to them.

Skyler poison's Marie and Hank in a shock that nobody sees coming.

Walt Jr. is seen smoking the blue stuff at some point and Walt realizes that he's really a monster and kills himself.

Walt also doesn't have cancer.

****************End Spoilers***************

If I'm right about 10% of that, I'll be stunned.:lol:

One event that could put a nail in Hank's coffin is his brutal beating of Jesse Pinkman and Pinkman's surprisingly mysterious dropping of the charges. That situation could easily be woven into spurious charges of some interaction between an uncooperative drug dealer and a corrupt DEA Agent.

One thing working against Hank is his habit and history of autonomous activity, i.e., not keeping his superiors apprised of his movements and methods. He's also given his former partner and friend cause to suspect his actions and behavior.

And there is the matter of those two high-level assassins the cartel sent to kill Hank. Why?

And there is the police detective who visited Hank with leads on Heisenburg, who Hank did his best to convince that he wasn't interested and politely refused to assist.

I'm trying to assign some significance to Hank's peculiar interest in geology and his ordering all those rocks but I can't.

Geology...hmmm...hadn't thought of that. Now that is going to bother me...:confused:

Jesse is the only character in the entire show who has expressed guilt for his actions.
There are rational and productive ways of dealing with guilt, the most positive being benevolent acts of self-sacrifice such as typified by many examples in Christian history and its basic theology. An excellent, animated example of sacrificial absolution would be the Robert DiNiro movie, The Mission.

And now, rather than take the exit and save himself, he is on a righteous crusade to avenge the poisoned child.

That's far from rabid.
Not really. Pinkman's "righteous crusade" is best described as a violent tantrum in which he truly is behaving like a rabid dog.

As previously mentioned, Pinkman could gradually and constructively absolve his guilt by finding deserving people who are suffering from the torments of poverty and give them relief. Instead he dealt with it by tossing money out his car window in a selfishly infantile gesture of temperamental self-flagellation.

This is why I believe the most objectively constructive way to deal with him is put him out of his misery.

Skyler authorized the hit on him...I think you're on to something.

What do you make of the teaser about the woman from Madrigal and the salmon?

Can't wait for Sunday...football all day, Breaking Bad all night.

Skyler authorized the hit on him...I think you're on to something.
Skyler authorized a hit?

What do you make of the teaser about the woman from Madrigal and the salmon?
I am completely in the dark about this. Who is the woman from Madrigal? And what salmon? It appears I've missed something.

I look forward to Sundays, too. I'm not interested in football but there is a lot of good tv on Sunday nights. The new season of Boardwalk Empire is starting on the 8th. It's not as captivating as Breaking Bad (no other tv drama is), but it is very well done.

If you're a tv buff, and if you haven't already watched the current movie version of Les Miserables, with Russel Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Amanda Seyfried, I watched it last night and it is excellent.

I am completely in the dark about this. Who is the woman from Madrigal? And what salmon? It appears I've missed something.
Vince Gilligan is giving very cryptic clues each evening on Talking Bad which comes on after Breaking Bad. The lady from Madrigal who sat up Walt sending meth to Czech Republic--don't recall her name. Anyway, Gilligan said something along the lines that she'll get to appreciate salmon....

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going with tuna purchases for the next 6 months and staying away from the Salmon.

Also, just occurred to me; the neighbor's reaction to seeing Walt come back to the house. It looks as though maybe he could have faked his own death == she seemed so shocked.

I look forward to Sundays, too. I'm not interested in football but there is a lot of good tv on Sunday nights. The new season of Boardwalk Empire is starting on the 8th. It's not as captivating as Breaking Bad (no other tv drama is), but it is very well done.

If you're a tv buff, and if you haven't already watched the current movie version of Les Miserables, with Russel Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Amanda Seyfried, I watched it last night and it is excellent.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Walt and Skyler become born again christians, start a ministry, quit dealing when they discover there is more money to be made in religion than selling dope, although it is similar in nature but with no risks.

Walter and Skyler are pardoned after making a ten million political contribution to the governor.

Tonight's episode (9/8) was a major disappointment from beginning to end, mainly because I hate to see Hank outsmarting Walt so gracefully and Walt falling into the trap so clumsily. And the closing scene is as absurd as it would be if one of them took off and flew away like Superman: Eight supposedly experienced shooters, each holding a tight aim at less than a dozen yards with good quality weapons, about a hundred shots fired and nobody is hit? This is insultingly ridiculous. The first shots fired, even by mediocre shooters, would easily have taken out Hank and Gomez.

My loathing for Hank and Jesse is frustrating. I hope the writers have some relief planned for next Sunday, because today's episode inhabits the same category as zombie or vampire junk.

They could do a lot better.

Tonight's episode (9/8) was a major disappointment from beginning to end, mainly because I hate to see Hank outsmarting Walt so gracefully and Walt falling into the trap so clumsily. And the closing scene is as absurd as it would be if one of them took off and flew away like Superman: Eight supposedly experienced shooters, each holding a tight aim at less than a dozen yards with good quality weapons, about a hundred shots fired and nobody is hit? This is insultingly ridiculous. The first shots fired, even by mediocre shooters, would easily have taken out Hank and Gomez.

My loathing for Hank and Jesse is frustrating. I hope the writers have some relief planned for next Sunday, because today's episode inhabits the same category as zombie or vampire junk.

How can you hit a car that many times and have Walt not end up like swiss cheese?

Walt and Skyler become born again christians, start a ministry, quit dealing when they discover there is more money to be made in religion than selling dope, although it is similar in nature but with no risks.

Walter and Skyler are pardoned after making a ten million political contribution to the governor.
I thought he was going to use his meth money to become an arms dealer for the CIA and sell weapons to al Qaeda cells all over the world?

At least they have a better track record of carrying out sanctioned hits, than the losers Walt hired in the episode tonight.

A trained FBI agent once had a gun battle with a bank robber, standing face to face and at effectively point blank range. MULTIPLE shots were fired from EACH combatant's weapon. Nobody got hurt. EVERY shot missed.

While the gun fight in the desert was admittedly implausible (I agree Hank and his side-kick would have likely been blown away), it is not impossible. And shooting and missing is maybe a bit more accurate than the usual fare of tv shooting we see where one shot from 100 yards with a handgun blows out the bad guy's brains.

Quibble aside, if the writers had not gone for the gun fight, there was no longer ANY way out for Walter: and that would have made the final three episodes mighty suckatrocious.

How can you hit a car that many times and have Walt not end up like swiss cheese?

I think the bullet proof vest will make an appearance on Walt's body. Strange that he and Saul were talking about it just before the gunfire started.

I thought the episode was fantastic. The gunfire doesn't bother me that much. I was more surpised none of them drew down on Jesse since that was Walt's primary target.

It sets up, beautifully, what I think is going to happen. Somehow Jesse and Walt both get away. Walt fakes his own death. Meanwhile, Jesse is dragooned into cooking for the family. Walt is going to go save Jesse once more.

I soooo wanted Walt to go down. I hope Hank and Jesse live. I am afraid that at least Hank is dead.

As for Skyler,. She is as bad as Walt

I think the bullet proof vest will make an appearance on Walt's body. Strange that he and Saul were talking about it just before the gunfire started.

I thought the episode was fantastic. The gunfire doesn't bother me that much. I was more surpised none of them drew down on Jesse since that was Walt's primary target.

It sets up, beautifully, what I think is going to happen. Somehow Jesse and Walt both get away. Walt fakes his own death. Meanwhile, Jesse is dragooned into cooking for the family. Walt is going to go save Jesse once more.

The writers are genius'

Best show ever

I soooo wanted Walt to go down. I hope Hank and Jesse live. I am afraid that at least Hank is dead.

As for Skyler,. She is as bad as Walt
Skyler is conspicuously absent from this critical conflict -- but Hank's phone call has made Marie a prominent part of it. If Skyler threatens to testify that Marie was fully aware of the source of the $177,000, that would make Marie an accessory and subject her to a long prison sentence. And her background as a petty thief would not aid her denial.

If Hank survives the (absurd) gunfight, that threat to Marie could serve as a powerful influence over his actions.

And if Gomez (the only living witness to Hank's legitimacy) is killed, Walt's confession disc is back in play, the gunfight with apparent rival meth distributors occuring in support of it. Again, Hank's failure to advise his superiors of his actions in such a high-level operation is a very critical component of this development. It strongly supports Walt's "confession" and imparts strong suspicion to Hank's motives.

Last edited:
The writers are genius'

Best show ever
I agree. These writers are exceptional, mainly because they adhere to the simple rule of credibility, even in some of the more improbable situations they contrive. But in this episode they take things into the realm of fantasy -- beginning with the ease by which Hank was able to outsmart Walt and ending with the utterly fantastic, wholly incredible gunfight.

While most of the teaser situations in this series have been far-fetched but credible, this entire episode has gone completely off the deep end. I can't imagine what the writers have in mind for next week but it had better be good to make up for this weeks virtual comedy.

Angles. Doesn't matter. Any gunfight like that wouldn't last more than 30 seconds in the real world.
More like two or three at the very most. Based on what they've shown us in terms of weaponry and shooter confidence, the opening volley would immediately have taken out Hank and Gomez. Immediately.

This episode is about as credible as a zombie movie. Absurd. Juvenile.

Forum List

Back