Burden of Proof

On USMB, what regularly substitutes for "proof" is a repeat of the disputed claim followed by a personal insult, and an assertion that the challenger is too stupid to understand. This somehow passes for an explanation.

On USMB, what regularly substitutes for "proof" is a repeat of the disputed claim followed by a personal insult, and an assertion that the challenger is too stupid to understand. This somehow passes for an explanation.

I have seen that happen and I am trying to introduce some better standards.

Burden of proof (philosophy) - Wikipedia

The person making the claim has the burden of proof.
prove it.
From The link

Holder of the burden[edit]
When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim

Can you read English????????????????

Apparently you cannot. You stated that the person who makes a claim has the burden of proof. That is not true. More often than not it is a red herring hiding inside a rabbit hold because all the person wants is a link so they can cherry pick a link, attack the source, etc. It is nobody's duty to educate other people, particularly ignorant interwebz dwellers. I could provide you a link, but that would be 1) an appeal to authority and 2) not my job.

prove it.
From The link

When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim

Apparently you cannot. You stated that the person who makes a claim has the burden of proof. That is not true. More often than not it is a red herring hiding inside a rabbit hold because all the person wants is a link so they can cherry pick a link, attack the source, etc. It is nobody's duty to educate other people, particularly ignorant interwebz dwellers. I could provide you a link, but that would be 1) an appeal to authority and 2) not my job.

The difference being that in the OP example, the participants are actually trying to convince each other of some fact or the other, and here nobody will ever be convinced either way. This is just a forum where idiots argue with other idiots, and call each other names. ----- dumb ass.

prove it.
From The link

The difference being that in the OP example, the participants are actually trying to convince each other of some fact or the other, and here nobody will ever be convinced either way. This is just a forum where idiots argue with other idiots, and call each other names. ----- dumb ass.

My arse is not very smart, but even it knows that that is no burden to prove settled or well known facts even in the world of forensics.

Forum List

Back