Burmese python reminder.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
The only things standing in the way of controlling the Burmese python population is "humane kill".

"As for why the Burmese python has proven so difficult to eradicate, scientists say that a “unique combination of inaccessible habitat and the cryptic and resilient nature of pythons” has made them “extremely challenging” to detect in the subtropical environment of southern Florida—a habitat that closely resembles their native home in southeast Asia. In southern Florida, adult Burmese pythons reach sizes that are too large for most predators to kill them. Humans are their only true threat."

Apparently, humans really aren't that big of a threat. Eliminate "humane kill" and humans will indeed become a threat to these snakes. In some areas these snakes have decimated native wildlife to near extinction, and yet we run around like the Keystone Kops doing "humane kill" while the snakes eat themselves out of house and home then spread out even wider, and closer to populated areas.

Last edited:
The only things standing in the way of controlling the Burmese python population is "humane kill".

Once again, states stupidly allow the importation of non-domestic "pets" with destructive potential, from the python to the lion fish to the African bee. People buy some of this stuff as pets then let it loose or it gets loose from a hurricane or some other mishap, and now we have a huge problem.

Once again, states stupidly allow the importation of non-domestic "pets" with destructive potential, from the python to the lion fish to the African bee. People buy some of this stuff as pets then let it loose or it gets loose from a hurricane or some other mishap, and now we have a huge problem.
The "State" has always been retarded on this issue. They'll let you bring in non-native species to have as pets... But if they catch you with a pet deer, racoon, or a large mouth bass, or snapping turtle in your fish tank; they'll be all over your ass, and fine you into oblivion.

Snake meat is edible.

And you shouldn't eat that snake meat.

The Florida Department of Health has recently penned an advisory of “do not consume python” caught in the state, no matter the snake size because of the risk of unhealthy mercury levels in its meat.

And you shouldn't eat that snake meat.

The Florida Department of Health has recently penned an advisory of “do not consume python” caught in the state, no matter the snake size because of the risk of unhealthy mercury levels in its meat.

Well tuna also has mercury. So I don't see the problems.

The "State" has always been retarded on this issue. They'll let you bring in non-native species to have as pets... But if they catch you with a pet deer, racoon, or a large mouth bass, or snapping turtle in your fish tank; they'll be all over your ass, and fine you into oblivion.
Which is doubly ironic as the state of Florida doesn't give a shit about its native species, preferring pythons to all other critters.

Last edited:
Well tuna also has mercury. So I don't see the problems.

1726952376104.png

1726952432100.png

They're at the top of the food chain.
Mercury accumulates.
Some animals in some places shouldn't be eaten.

Yes but where is the mercury coming from to begin with? I mean, the everglades is basically a fresh water outlet from underground caves draining water from the continental shelf out to the ocean.

Yes but where is the mercury coming from to begin with? I mean, the everglades is basically a fresh water outlet from underground caves draining water from the continental shelf out to the ocean.

From the air, from runoff from the land, from mercury that was there decades ago.

From the air,
From the air in the Everglades? That would have to be industry.

from runoff from the land, from mercury that was there decades ago.
But most of the region is wilderness, constantly flushed with fresh water (not to mention hurricanes). This would seem to be a rather huge ecological concern for the state to clean up. According to this bulletin, most of the mercury does indeed come from the air, but still doesn't say WHERE the mercury really is coming from!

If that is the case, then nothing in Florida is safe to eat.

Where would a python get mercury other than from within the everglades of Florida from what it eats? Isn't this kind of a rather bad indictment of Florida itself?
According to the article it comes from the atmosphere. Burning certain pollutants sends it up in the air the rain brings it down. Considering this is a heavy metal you would not think it would make it far from the original source. Seems strange you would pick up in considerable amounts on land. It is mostly found on bottom of rivers and lakes. This is why I don't eat bottom dweller fish like catfish. Seems strange to me. Maybe they ate eating bottom dwelling fish?

According to the article it comes from the atmosphere. Burning certain pollutants sends it up in the air the rain brings it down.

But then, wouldn't it be the same everywhere? In every state? In cattle? I don't get the warning aimed at just PYTHONS.

One thing I read mentioned volcanos, but I have to figure the real mercury source must be coming from industrial chemicals and sprays such as fertilizers, bug sprays, etc.

Forum List

Back