Burmese python reminder.

Fine, eat all you want.
Lol. Snake hunting is not easy. I have done a lot of it in much easier areas to hunt. I have spent 11 to 12 hours a day on weekends hunting diamond back rattle snakes when I was a young man. 3 was a really good weekend. I was somewhat of an expert at it and the territory they exist in. I think the everglades is more likely to kill him than the mercury. Lol it would be a tough hunt.

From the air in the Everglades? That would have to be industry.

But most of the region is wilderness, constantly flushed with fresh water (not to mention hurricanes). This would seem to be a rather huge ecological concern for the state to clean up. According to this bulletin, most of the mercury does indeed come from the air, but still doesn't say WHERE the mercury really is coming from!

If that is the case, then nothing in Florida is safe to eat.

From the air in the Everglades? That would have to be industry.

Yes, industry put mercury into the air and some ended up in the Everglades.

But most of the region is wilderness, constantly flushed with fresh water

Yes, wilderness with some mercury.

This would seem to be a rather huge ecological concern for the state to clean up.

I'm sure no one else ever thought of that.

According to this bulletin, most of the mercury does indeed come from the air, but still doesn't say WHERE the mercury really is coming from!

We used to burn a lot of coal with mercury in it. Before scrubbers were a thing.
China still does.

If that is the case, then nothing in Florida is safe to eat.

Why wouldn't beef or chicken in Florida be safe?

But then, wouldn't it be the same everywhere? In every state? In cattle? I don't get the warning aimed at just PYTHONS.

One thing I read mentioned volcanos, but I have to figure the real mercury source must be coming from industrial chemicals and sprays such as fertilizers, bug sprays, etc.

But then, wouldn't it be the same everywhere? In every state? In cattle? I don't get the warning aimed at just PYTHONS.

Mercury bioaccumulates. Cattle should be fine.

but I have to figure the real mercury source must be coming from industrial chemicals and sprays such as fertilizers, bug sprays, etc.

If you have mercury in your fertilizer, you're doing it wrong.

One thing I read mentioned volcanos, but I have to figure the real mercury source must be coming from industrial chemicals and sprays such as fertilizers, bug sprays, etc.
Those are the usual sources yes. There is not much industry, farms and bug spraying going on in or near the everglades. Again heavy metal you would not think the atmosphere would carry it far. I am thinking migratory fish and birds are being eaten by the pythons. This is something I have to watch for as I run fishing charters on lake Erie. I eat more walleye and perch than I likely should. It's free for me and tastes really really good. I have really cut down this year on that consumption due to this worry. I have developed a trade network and have been trading it for deer, elk. Chicken and pork. I prefer deer but I am told I have to watch out for arsenic with them. Hell I don't know what I am supposed to eat to be safe. Not sure anything is safe. The best you can do is variety and hopefully there is not enough build up of any one thing.

Those are the usual sources yes. There is not much industry, farms and bug spraying going on in or near the everglades. Again heavy metal you would not think the atmosphere would carry it far. I am thinking migratory fish and birds are being eaten by the pythons. This is something I have to watch for as I run fishing charters on lake Erie. I eat more walleye and perch than I likely should. It's free for me and tastes really really good. I have really cut down this year on that consumption due to this worry. I have developed a trade network and have been trading it for deer, elk. Chicken and pork. I prefer deer but I am told I have to watch out for arsenic with them. Hell I don't know what I am supposed to eat to be safe. Not sure anything is safe. The best you can do is variety and hopefully there is not enough build up of any one thing.

I have eaten alligators. So....

As part of a multi-agency study of alligator health, 28 American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis) were captured along a transect through the Florida Everglades in 1999. Liver and tail muscle tissues were sampled and analyzed on a wet weight basis for total mercury (THg) using cold-vapor atomic absorption spectrophotometry. All tissues had detectable concentrations of THg that ranged from 0.6 to 17 mg/kg in liver and from 0.1 to 1.8 mg/kg in tail muscle.

THg was more concentrated in liver tissue than tail muscle, but levels were highly correlated between tissues. THg concentrations in tissue differed significantly among locations, with animals from Everglades National Park (ENP) having mean concentrations of THg in liver (10.4 mg/kg) and tail muscle (1.2 mg/kg) that were two-fold higher than basin-wide averages (4.9 and 0.64 mg/kg, respectively).

The reasons for higher contamination of ENP alligators were unclear and could not be explained by differences in sex, length, weight or animal age. While ??15N values were positively correlated with THg concentrations in tail muscle, spatial patterns in isotopic composition did not explain the elevated THg levels in ENP alligators.

Therefore, it appears that ENP alligators were more highly exposed to mercury in their environment than individuals in other areas. Comparisons to a previous survey by Yanochko et al. [Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 32 (1997) 323] suggest that mercury levels have declined in some Everglades alligators since 1994. ?? 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.

As part of a multi-agency study of alligator health, 28 American alligators (Alligator mississippiensis) were captured along a transect through the Florida Everglades in 1999. Liver and tail muscle tissues were sampled and analyzed on a wet weight basis for total mercury (THg) using cold-vapor atomic absorption spectrophotometry. All tissues had detectable concentrations of THg that ranged from 0.6 to 17 mg/kg in liver and from 0.1 to 1.8 mg/kg in tail muscle.

THg was more concentrated in liver tissue than tail muscle, but levels were highly correlated between tissues. THg concentrations in tissue differed significantly among locations, with animals from Everglades National Park (ENP) having mean concentrations of THg in liver (10.4 mg/kg) and tail muscle (1.2 mg/kg) that were two-fold higher than basin-wide averages (4.9 and 0.64 mg/kg, respectively).

The reasons for higher contamination of ENP alligators were unclear and could not be explained by differences in sex, length, weight or animal age. While ??15N values were positively correlated with THg concentrations in tail muscle, spatial patterns in isotopic composition did not explain the elevated THg levels in ENP alligators.

Therefore, it appears that ENP alligators were more highly exposed to mercury in their environment than individuals in other areas. Comparisons to a previous survey by Yanochko et al. [Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 32 (1997) 323] suggest that mercury levels have declined in some Everglades alligators since 1994. ?? 2002 Elsevier Science B.V. All rights reserved.

I never been south of Atlanta, Georgia. My alligator meat was sourced in South Carolina.

How are beef and chicken not subject to exposure to the same air as pythons?
Worse, they are fed antibiotics and other stuff the pythons are not.

I don't get how pythons are not safe to eat but other stuff is if they all share the same environment?

How are beef and chicken not subject to exposure to the same air as pythons?

Because the animals aren't getting it from breathing the air.

I don't get how pythons are not safe to eat but other stuff is if they all share the same environment?

Do you know what "bioaccumulation" means?

That is the article that made me cut down. For a couple of decades I was eating it most days. Cleaning fish is typically the last thing I do before getting home. Almost every day except February I come home with fresh filet. It's already thawed I throw it on the pan. July and Aug it's perch. I think perch is also one of the safer fish.

Bullshit greed. Did you know..? Florida actually put a price on the licensing of hunting invasives? If they were serious it would be "open season"...
They're using it as a tourist attraction. They don't give a shit about the native species that are being decimated.

Forum List

Back