Cable versus Satellite

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
I am considering changing from cable to satellite. The provider service is terrible with intermittent periods of excellent service to no service at all. The relationship is costly and I get nothing in return but a belly full of nonsense.

I am thinking of satellite dish or any other means of internet to nothing at all and riding horses all day long.

Has anyone used satellite or other means for internet service? How does that compare to cable if you have had both.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Stay away from satellite "internet". Period.

Our cable tv provider also hooked us up to internet service. Both signals come in over phone lines
The internet is awesome. The TV will pixilate on rare occasion.

Last edited:
I moved from satellite to cable because the internet service was available on the latter.
At 2mbps, it's not fast but it's still better than most here.

It's that bad?

Yep.....
My son has it and netflix is constantly buffering.

My cable provider bundled phone tv and web and it's all cable dsl,,,,,no phoneline.

Now, for just TV I loved DirecTv.
Their equipment has come a looonnng way. It takes a real "toad-strangling" storm to block service

It's that bad?

Where we live, only 2 miles from town, we couldn't get anything but dial up for years. Then i found out about satellite. We got it through Dish, and all they said was how much i'll love it. No other information. We paid $400 to get everything set up, plus had to have a 2 yr contract. Well....long story short (er), they didn't tell me that we would have only a certain amount of band width each month. If you went over, you had no connection until the next month.....so you're limited on how much you can be on. I complained once i found out but they wouldn't do anything about it...until i took them to BBB. I did get out of my contract, but didn't get any money back.

Don't do it....it sucks!!!!

It's that bad?

Where we live, only 2 miles from town, we couldn't get anything but dial up for years. Then i found out about satellite. We got it through Dish, and all they said was how much i'll love it. No other information. We paid $400 to get everything set up, plus had to have a 2 yr contract. Well....long story short (er), they didn't tell me that we would have only a certain amount of band width each month. If you went over, you had no connection until the next month.....so you're limited on how much you can be on. I complained once i found out but they wouldn't do anything about it...until i took them to BBB. I did get out of my contract, but didn't get any money back.

Don't do it....it sucks!!!!

Word.

Our cable tv provider also hooked us up to internet service. Both signals come in over phone lines
DSL is crap.

You will never pull more than 15MbPS, because you're usi9ng 100-year-old infrastructure.

Satellite is fine- if you live someplace where dust, clouds, trees, birds, rain, hot summer days, and wind do not exist.

DSL is crap.

You will never pull more than 15MbPS, because you're usi9ng 100-year-old infrastructure.

Satellite is fine- if you live someplace where dust, clouds, trees, birds, rain, hot summer days, and wind do not exist.

But dust, clouds, trees, birds, rain, hot summer days, and wind are... so damn sexy.

I'd give up internet/cable for sexy any day.

Last edited:

It's that bad?

It's bearable if your goal is just surf the web (although even then you'll have problems if it rains hard or is snowing). But it has extremely high latency (the time it takes for the signal to travel from the source to your computer) and is very reactive to weather.

I highly recommend Satellite TV, but for internet not so much.

I prefer my DSL by a wide margin. If I could get Cable I would have that but alas, they don't come out this far.

I am considering changing from cable to satellite. The provider service is terrible with intermittent periods of excellent service to no service at all. The relationship is costly and I get nothing in return but a belly full of nonsense.

I am thinking of satellite dish or any other means of internet to nothing at all and riding horses all day long.

Has anyone used satellite or other means for internet service? How does that compare to cable if you have had both.

i did it

it was the best thing i did

i was paying over 200 a month for cable internet and phone

through a provider

the cable was pretty much so so

internet and phone ok

well we bought another home a few miles away

while i was talking to customer support about the change

i asked about any deals since i have been a long time customer

new folks great a great package for under 130 bucks

plus it would cost another 50 bucks to transfer the service

with me bringing all the equipment to the new place

i raised a little stink about this

and the operator told me

that i should consider myself "lucky" for the amount

i have been paying

--LOL

it also would take 10 days for them to transfer the service

i cancelled the next morning

i called the satellite folks they came out the same day

got us hooked up

the internet and phone through a local provider

all for about 1/2 the price

as for quality of the satellite i have not had a lick of problems

and the clarity between the two thumbs up

satellite beats cable several times over

We just switched over to cable internet; we had Verizon dsl for ages. It was fine for one or two users but with a desktop, 3 laptops, an iphone and a Kindle Fire .... it was just slow, slow, slow. Buffered foreverrrrr.

Have you contacted your cable provider and let them know about the problems you're having? About two years ago we were having awful problems with cable (tv). I would call and all they would do was re-send the signal to our tv which cleared up the problem .... for a short period of time. We made a service call appt, the guy came out, changed out old cables and the end-caps things, did some other stuff, everything worked great ... until about 4 hours after he left. Called again and they updated our cable boxes and that solved the problem. All was free of charge.

Maybe it's the modem or router or wires or ?? Give them a buzz and have them come out to see if it's a hardware problem.

We just switched over to cable internet; we had Verizon dsl for ages. It was fine for one or two users but with a desktop, 3 laptops, an iphone and a Kindle Fire .... it was just slow, slow, slow. Buffered foreverrrrr.

Have you contacted your cable provider and let them know about the problems you're having? About two years ago we were having awful problems with cable (tv). I would call and all they would do was re-send the signal to our tv which cleared up the problem .... for a short period of time. We made a service call appt, the guy came out, changed out old cables and the end-caps things, did some other stuff, everything worked great ... until about 4 hours after he left. Called again and they updated our cable boxes and that solved the problem. All was free of charge.

Maybe it's the modem or router or wires or ?? Give them a buzz and have them come out to see if it's a hardware problem.

Yes this has been since 2008 the same problems and the same bullshit story. Never any real resolution...

Forum List

Back