CAN YOUR employer make you wear a mask at work?

ninja007

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Living rent free in libs heads
ok, so I do delivery and been at my job 6 years, good reliable worker. We have 2 people, a driver and pizza maker who work at old age homes. One of them, the pizza maker- she tested postitive for corona friday. BEFORE this I wore my mask sparingly as I told my boss, the health unit says there are definite exceptions for some people; they do not have to wear a mask. But I wore one to and from the customers door and if I was very close to people inside at work. After him having to deep clean the restaurant tuesday and today, he texts me that "you wear a mask or no hours".

Pretty sure he cannot punish me or cut hrs if i cant/dont wear a mask all the time. I already showed him the health units website info i sent it to him in a text a couple months ago. Im pretty pissed because someone who works 2 jobs, here andat an old age home who caught the virus (no symptoms btw), because he lost 2 days business, now hes sending me a text like that.

i know in the end i have the right to not be forced to wear one all the time etc but how can he say that to me via text knowing what the health unit has already said?? Most/all other drivers workers usually wear the mask, but not always fyi. I guess hes really cracking down on it now after all this. BUT im 99 percent sure he cant cut my hrs cuz of this. I am saving the text and i have my last few schedules showing i work 5 days a week 35 hrs a week, in case.

ps i like it there and its actually good money, make about 21-25 per hour with tips.

It's his business, and no, you don't have to wear one, you can quit if you don't like the rules. Not any different than requiring cooks and server to wear hairnets or shoes and shirts at work, even though going topless would definitely increase tips for some servers, lol. Requring uniforms is also legal, so why wouldn't requiring a mask be legal???

ok, so I do delivery and been at my job 6 years, good reliable worker. We have 2 people, a driver and pizza maker who work at old age homes. One of them, the pizza maker- she tested postitive for corona friday. BEFORE this I wore my mask sparingly as I told my boss, the health unit says there are definite exceptions for some people; they do not have to wear a mask. But I wore one to and from the customers door and if I was very close to people inside at work. After him having to deep clean the restaurant tuesday and today, he texts me that "you wear a mask or no hours".

Pretty sure he cannot punish me or cut hrs if i cant/dont wear a mask all the time. I already showed him the health units website info i sent it to him in a text a couple months ago. Im pretty pissed because someone who works 2 jobs, here andat an old age home who caught the virus (no symptoms btw), because he lost 2 days business, now hes sending me a text like that.

i know in the end i have the right to not be forced to wear one all the time etc but how can he say that to me via text knowing what the health unit has already said?? Most/all other drivers workers usually wear the mask, but not always fyi. I guess hes really cracking down on it now after all this. BUT im 99 percent sure he cant cut my hrs cuz of this. I am saving the text and i have my last few schedules showing i work 5 days a week 35 hrs a week, in case.

ps i like it there and its actually good money, make about 21-25 per hour with tips.

He can fire your ass for not complying with company rules.

Wear a mask and don't stand on ceremony because it is not worth it. Your employer has the right to insist that you wear a mask for obvious reasons. Masks do help, so do it and don't make mountains out of molehills.

I would assume the employer would be able to mandate it the way jobs mandate other PPE. Some jobs you have to wear a hardhat, safety vest, steel-toe boots, etc.
A mask is also only good for an hour at best and the only mask that might work are the N95 so 8 would be needed to be provided by the employer every day. So an employer with 50,000 employees like my company would need to provide 400,000 mask a day.

The answer is there if you look

I would assume the employer would be able to mandate it the way jobs mandate other PPE. Some jobs you have to wear a hardhat, safety vest, steel-toe boots, etc.
The health unit says there are exceptions though... they are government.
Speak to your union. They can help and advise.
I doubt very much he is in a union. In the US, we have very few unions. So, workers have few protections.

The health unit says there are exceptions though... they are government.
Speak to your union. They can help and advise.
I doubt very much he is in a union. In the US, we have very few unions. So, workers have few protections.
Unions do not own the property so they have no right to say no masks

Wear it for the short time you are in the shop and while you deliver. You don’t need to wear it in the car where you spend most of your day.

He can’t make you do anything but he can simply not employ you. It’s at will work.

I can’t wait til conservative astronauts complain about wearing a mask in space. :oops:

This article may be of assistance to you.
You’re Still Exempt. Just Say ‘I Am Unable To Wear a Face Mask Safely.’ Nothing More. - LewRockwell LewRockwell.com

Unfortunately, that doesn't work in actual practice, in many places.

That wasn't in the US

I know. That's why I said that doesn't work in many places, depending on where one lives. But since you mentioned it, incidents like that have been happening in the US too, and I'm sure it will be getting worse as time goes on.

Wear it for the short time you are in the shop and while you deliver. You don’t need to wear it in the car where you spend most of your day.

He can’t make you do anything but he can simply not employ you. It’s at will work.

I can’t wait til conservative astronauts complain about wearing a mask in space. :oops:
Let us know when that happens.

Forum List

Back