Cannabis Growing

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
In my second attempt, I recently converted the downstairs bathroom to a grow room and have 4 White Banners that all sprouted and have been moved to Dixie cups with a coir/soil/rice husk/fertilizer mix. They're about 2 inches tall. I have a grow light on for 18 hours, 72 degrees and mist them daily.

Over the summer I grew 4 Northern lights outdoors with decidedly mixed results. It was a cool, wet summer and I'm pretty sure the plants were severely over-watered. I also experimented with soil and a "fire and Ice" fertilizer that a USMB farmer told me was his "secret sauce" for vegetables. I moved them back inside to harvest. As an experiment I let 2 of them "resprout" after cutting them back to harvest. I was totally surprised by the ginormous unmistakable "pot" smell from the new sprouts, gorgeous trichomes. They're all curing and usable and Mrs. Crusader and I like the buzz. There were too many variables to determine that the soil & Fertilizer mix didn't work so well, but - so far - I'm happy with the coir mix

I've read "Brave New Weed" - no growing tips, but loads of information - and have subscribed to Mr Canuks Grows and one or two other grower Videos.

My wife and kids were initially vociferously against this new hobby, but they all now have resigned themselves to me as Walter White. I'm good with plants, in my office I have last years Christmas poinsettias still with red leaves.

It's a fun hobby and one that I enjoy. Always open to discuss.

Last edited:
In my second attempt, I recently converted the downstairs bathroom to a grow room and have 4 White Banners that all sprouted and have been moved to Dixie cupS with a coir/soil/rice husk/fertilizer mix. They're about 2 inches tall. I have a grow light on for 18 hours, 72 degrees and mist them daily.

Over the summer I grew 4 Northern lights outdoors with decidedly mixed results. It was a cool, wet summer and I'm pretty sure the plants were severely over-watered. I also experimented with soil and a "fire and Ice" fertilizer that a USMB farmer told me was his "secret sauce" for vegetables. I moved them back inside to harvest. As an experiment I let 2 of them "resprout" after cutting them back to harvest. I was totally surprised by the ginormous unmistakable "pot" smell from the new sprouts, gorgeous trichomes. They're all curing and usable and Mrs. Crusader and I like the buzz. There were too many variables to determine that the soil & Fertilizer mix didn't work so well, but - so far - I'm happy with the coir mix

I've read "Brave New Weed" - no growing tips, but loads of information - and have subscribed to Mr Canuks Grows and one or two other grower Videos.

My wife and kids were initially vociferously against this new hobby, but they all now have resigned themselves to me as Walter White. I'm good with plants, in my office I have last years Christmas poinsettias still with red leaves.

Cool. When I retired, I planned to either grow my own or build a still. I went with the still. I thought I would never have any use for all those chemistry classes, but I was wrong.

In my second attempt, I recently converted the downstairs bathroom to a grow room and have 4 White Banners that all sprouted and have been moved to Dixie cupS with a coir/soil/rice husk/fertilizer mix. They're about 2 inches tall. I have a grow light on for 18 hours, 72 degrees and mist them daily.

Cool. When I retired, I planned to either grow my own or build a still. I went with the still. I thought I would never have any use for all those chemistry classes, but I was wrong.
That's cool what do you make with your still? Can you post a pic of it? I was thinking of trying to make some moonshine just to see if I could do it.

MISTAKES:
  1. You should forget all that crap and germinate the seeds in wet towels in the warm (70°) dark. Once the seed is about a 1/2 inch long, carefully transplant to a peat-pot and keep damp but not wet, and warm. Grow them under a florescent light about 6-8 inches away.
  2. Too much light. Start the plants as seedlings at about 10-12 hours light a day. You want to imitate nature. Work them up to artificially long (18 hours no more) light once a foot tall.
  3. Use a water meter probe you stick into the well-drained loam soil to know when enough water is enough. Moist, not drenched. Use a pH probe in the soil to assure a neutral pH of around 7.
  4. Should have had a clear plastic canopy over the plants to warm them warmer and limit excessive rain.
  5. You don't need any secret sauce. Once established, ramp up the nitrogen (compost; not too much unless you want all leaves) but mainly bone meal and wood ash in a sandy loam with Perlite for phosphorous and potassium and regulated moisture release.
  6. You can supplement cloudy days and sunlight during flowering with a few incandescent suntan lamps. This will stimulate more THC to protect the planet. If the plant turns away from a light source, it is too intense.
  7. Regularly check for and remove any male parts. Pot will grow male parts to fertilize itself. If the plant inseminates itself, THC levels will drop precipitously to support seed production.
  8. Allow the weed to naturally dry thoroughly about 4-6 months until major stems are bone dry inside (and up to another 6 months in storage) to allow the canabinol oils to fully convert through decarboxilyzation into delta-9 THC.

Last edited:
Set a small fan on the indoor plants ... otherwise they'll grow too tall too fast and fall over ... pot does like nitrogen, and any fertilizer that safe for veggies would be safe for your plants ... you understand long light cycles during vegetative growth and then reduce the light cycle for budding? ... the most important factor is good genetics, spend the big bucks for good clones ... you won't be disappointed ...

ETA: Plus everything our pentode friend posted ...

In my second attempt, I recently converted the downstairs bathroom to a grow room and have 4 White Banners that all sprouted and have been moved to Dixie cups with a coir/soil/rice husk/fertilizer mix. They're about 2 inches tall. I have a grow light on for 18 hours, 72 degrees and mist them daily.

Does it ever bother you when your anti-pot conservative friends call you a DOPE HEAD and a POT HEAD?

If you want to grow weed you should make a fact finding trip to my neighborhood. There are lots of growers around here and all you have to do is follow your nose. Those aren't skunks you're smelling it's pot and it's all over the place around here and right down the road I live on. It's Nevada Counties cash crop and the base of the local economy around here.

Remember back in the day when you bought a bag of weed it seemed like half of it was seeds?

I hear seeds these days sell for like ten bucks each.

Remember back in the day when you bought a bag of weed it seemed like half of it was seeds?

Seeds are rare these days ... clones are the way to go ... first, you're guarantied female plants ... second, no ditchweed contamination ... third, pot is an annual, once it sets seeds the plant dies, keep the pollen out and the flowers just keep growing, buds the size of your arm take years to grow ...

... or so I've heard ...

Does it ever bother you when your anti-pot conservative friends call you a DOPE HEAD and a POT HEAD?

Thankfully, I have no friends; unfortunately, my family members all said that

Yes! These feminized seeds were like 10 or $15/each!

They try to prevent fertilization because it detracts from the potency.

The stuff they have now isn't at all like the crap they had back in the 60s and 70s. Two hits and you have to put the shit down because you've already had enough. I don't think anyone could make it trough a whole joint on their own and remain conciousness. They don't bother selling anything but trimmed buds now, there are no seeds or stems. I guess they just compost and dig most of the plant back in for the next crop.
They've even got special soil which they use to grow each plant in a big burlap bag they call a pot. It's all down to a science now.

That's cool what do you make with your still? Can you post a pic of it? I was thinking of trying to make some moonshine just to see if I could do it.

I tried making whiskey. and it was drinkable, but it wasn't any better than cheap stuff I can buy. I make pretty good vodka, but my rum is better than I can afford to buy at the local liquor store. Running a still and aging the product is nothing like the moonshine shows on tv.
Don't make the mistakes I and lots of others made. Don't just build the first design you find. Do some research and learn a little about it before you ever even think about building a still. You won't like what you make in a pot on the stove. That doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune or build a 100 gallon still, but don't go at it half assed.
Plans, recipes, and hints you'll never figure out for yourself can be found here These people know what they are doing, and include chemists and engineers and other people who have done it for years.
Home Distiller - Active topics

I tried making whiskey. and it was drinkable, but it wasn't any better than cheap stuff I can buy. I make pretty good vodka, but my rum is better than I can afford to buy at the local liquor store. Running a still and aging the product is nothing like the moonshine shows on tv.
Don't make the mistakes I and lots of others made. Don't just build the first design you find. Do some research and learn a little about it before you ever even think about building a still. You won't like what you make in a pot on the stove. That doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune or build a 100 gallon still, but don't go at it half assed.
Plans, recipes, and hints you'll never figure out for yourself can be found here These people know what they are doing, and include chemists and engineers and other people who have done it for years.
Thanks for the response I'll check out the link.

How smelly are the fumes/smoke from a still? I have a couple acres and people around where I live don't usually give a crap what each other is doing.

Running a still and aging the product is nothing like the moonshine shows on tv.

Then why'd'ya drop the 396 in the Barracuda? ... pfffft ... everyone knows you need a fast car to make whiskey ... ya gotta go to movies too ...

How smelly are the fumes/smoke from a still? I have a couple acres and people around where I live don't usually give a crap what each other is doing.

I can't imagine smoke being a problem unless you are cooking over a wood fire, but only an idiot would do that. You are dealing with flammable gasses, so a well ventilated area is a good idea, but the smell isn't bad unless you really have a bad screw up. It's never been something to cause me a problem.

Running a still and aging the product is nothing like the moonshine shows on tv.

Then why'd'ya drop the 396 in the Barracuda? ... pfffft ... everyone knows you need a fast car to make whiskey ... ya gotta go to movies too ...

You need a fast car to SELL it. I would NEVER try to sell any. I do give some away occasionally.

Forum List

Back