Carol Burnett honored with Mark Twain Award

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
She's amazing.

Carol Burnett awarded Mark Twain Prize for American Humor - latimes.com

The Mark Twain Prize caps a career of prizes for Burnett. "The Carol Burnett Show" won 25 Emmys, and Burnett has received a Peabody Award, a number of Golden Globes and, in 2005, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

When Burnett finally took to the stage she had to calm the crowd, which gave her a prolonged standing ovation. When she spoke, she made it clear that her sense of humor had not dimmed with age.

“This is very encouraging,” she said. “It was a long time in coming, but I understand — because there are so many people funnier than I am, especially here in Washington.”

She's amazing.

The Mark Twain Prize caps a career of prizes for Burnett. "The Carol Burnett Show" won 25 Emmys, and Burnett has received a Peabody Award, a number of Golden Globes and, in 2005, the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

When Burnett finally took to the stage she had to calm the crowd, which gave her a prolonged standing ovation. When she spoke, she made it clear that her sense of humor had not dimmed with age.

This is very encouraging, she said. It was a long time in coming, but I understand because there are so many people funnier than I am, especially here in Washington.
Do you really think she or the other characters in her show were amazing? I don’t think so. I love the carol burnett show it reminds me of my childhood but I watch them now and I’m embarrassed at how bad white america was back then at singing and dancing. Right now I’m watching carol and Lucy ball doing a duet. It’s horrible. The other day I saw ken berry do a song and dance. Horrible.

I notice carol had a lot of gays on even if no one knew they were gay. One episode with Jim neighbors rock Hudson was in the audience. Omg was rock fucking gomer?

One episode she gave a black stand up a shot. He was horrible. I’m sure the sensors didn’t let him do his real material. In fact George Carlin, Joan rivers were all not funny on her show. Again, I’m sure they didn’t let them be raunchy or controversial.

Im not being mean. I truly love these old shows. But they are not good. Nostalgia is why we like it. Kids today wouldn’t like it.
Ps. She was very liberal giving blacks and gays opportunities. I believe she deserves any award they give her.

She's amazing.

This is very encouraging, she said. It was a long time in coming, but I understand because there are so many people funnier than I am, especially here in Washington.
Do you really think she or the other characters in her show were amazing? I don’t think so. I love the carol burnett show it reminds me of my childhood but I watch them now and I’m embarrassed at how bad white america was back then at singing and dancing. Right now I’m watching carol and Lucy ball doing a duet. It’s horrible. The other day I saw ken berry do a song and dance. Horrible.

I notice carol had a lot of gays on even if no one knew they were gay. One episode with Jim neighbors rock Hudson was in the audience. Omg was rock fucking gomer?

One episode she gave a black stand up a shot. He was horrible. I’m sure the sensors didn’t let him do his real material. In fact George Carlin, Joan rivers were all not funny on her show. Again, I’m sure they didn’t let them be raunchy or controversial.

Im not being mean. I truly love these old shows. But they are not good. Nostalgia is why we like it. Kids today wouldn’t like it.
Ps. She was very liberal giving blacks and gays opportunities. I believe she deserves any award they give her.
From her point of view she was a woman in a then male dominated medium who followed on from Lucy. She gave people opportunities that she did not have to. The FCC needed to loosen up a bit. But not what we see now.

She's amazing.

From her point of view she was a woman in a then male dominated medium who followed on from Lucy. She gave people opportunities that she did not have to. The FCC needed to loosen up a bit. But not what we see now.
This kid stood up and asked her if she was a feminist or asked her about women's liberation. She asked him what he thinks about it and he said it was a load of fooey. LOL. She was a pioneer for sure.

I'm glad for cable tv. The FCC has less to say today on cable tv because we pay for it. The public channels ABC, NBC, CBS they had a lot of power over because it was free airwaves.

She's amazing.

Maybe Rock bottom

Forum List

Back