Chauvin Trial Day 7 Wrap-Up: a horrible day for the prosecution

Sunsettommy

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2018
I want people to stay on topic and no attacking the source, attack the content of the article if you want. There are full videos of the exchanges of witnesses showing the prosecutor looking bad in the courtroom.

Legal Insurrection

Chauvin Trial Day 7 Wrap-Up: a horrible day for the prosecution

Prosecution visibly shaken after cross-examination of MPD force & medical experts

Posted by Andrew Branca Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 09:46pm

Excerpt:

Welcome to our ongoing coverage of the Minnesota murder trial of Derek Chauvin over the in-custody death of George Floyd. I am Attorney Andrew Branca for Law of Self Defense, providing guest commentary and analysis of this trial for Legal Insurrection.

(Snip)

OVERVIEW: “911? I’D LIKE TO REPORT A MURDER.”
Today was a terrible, horrible no good, very bad day for the prosecution, to a degree that I haven’t seen since the trial of George Zimmerman.

If you have no more than an hour to watch the video of today’s proceedings, then I urge you to spend 44 minutes watching the cross-examination of state witness Johnny Mercil, the state’s use-of-force training expert, and 22 minutes watching the cross-examination of Nicole MacKenzie, the state’s medical care training expert. In both instances the result can only be called a train wreck of a disaster for the prosecution.

LINK

Scroll down to this section if you don't want to watch the video:

STATE’S WITNESS: MPD LIEUTENANT JOHNNY MERCIL, USE-OF-FORCE TRAINER

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

Hr'll get manslaughter. Done deal.

You didn't read or watch MPD Lieutenant Johnny Mercil's Testimony.
I did, that's why he'll get murder 3, protective custody and out in 5.

I think you missed a few lines that greatly helps Chauvin such as these:

"Further, when asked how quickly unconsciousness occurred when a carotid choke was placed, Mercil answered “less than 10 seconds. Clearly, then Floyd was not being subject to a carotid choke for the large majority of the 9 minutes or so Chauvin had his knee in place, and likely never during that period."

and,

"It was at this point that Nelson showed Mercil a series of photographs captured from the body worn camera of Officer Lane, and showing Chauvin’s knee on Floyd from the angle down Floyd’s proned body.

Photo 1: Where’s Chauvin’s leg in this image? On Floyd’s neck? Or on his shoulder blades and back. Mercil: Shoulder blades and back.

And in photo 2? Same. Photo 3? Same. Photo 4? Same."

and,

"Are there circumstances like those already discussed where would be appropriate to maintain presence of leg across shoulder blades and back in order to ensure control of the suspect? Yes, there are, Mercil answered. For as long as 10 minutes? It’s possible."

Bolding mine

=======

You seem to forget that Floyd resisted arrest, resisted being put into the police car, resisted being taken from his own vehicle and complained several times about breathing problems long before he was put into a knee restraint.

The Prosecutor lost that round badly.

Forum List

Back