China slaps 200% tax on Australia wine amid tensions

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Bad news for Australia. First China tried to poison them with their virus, now they're trying to destroy their wine industry.

"BEIJING (AP) — China on Friday added wine to the growing list of Australian goods barred from its markets in a trade war against Australia over disputes including its support for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus.

The Ministry of Commerce imposed import taxes of up to 212.1%, effective Saturday, which Australia’s trade minister said make Australian wine unsellable in China, his country’s biggest export market.

China increasingly is using its populous market as leverage to extract political concessions and increase its strategic influence."

Earlier, China stopped or reduced imports of beef, coal, barley, seafood, sugar and timber from Australia after it supported calls for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, which began in China in December.

Bad news for Australia. First China tried to poison them with their virus, now they're trying to destroy their wine industry.

"BEIJING (AP) — China on Friday added wine to the growing list of Australian goods barred from its markets in a trade war against Australia over disputes including its support for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus.

The Ministry of Commerce imposed import taxes of up to 212.1%, effective Saturday, which Australia’s trade minister said make Australian wine unsellable in China, his country’s biggest export market.

China increasingly is using its populous market as leverage to extract political concessions and increase its strategic influence."

Earlier, China stopped or reduced imports of beef, coal, barley, seafood, sugar and timber from Australia after it supported calls for a probe into the origin of the coronavirus pandemic, which began in China in December.

Here is what China needs to do, built another f#cking wall around yourself and refuse letting anyone leave ever again so you can enjoy your pandemic wet markets all by your lonesome.

Enters Beijing Biden to the rescue!!!
If biden reaches the white house the aussies are screwed.

which is too bad since there are many fine people there who dont hate America

You see THAT is how you crush another economy. I have immense respect for Trump for standing up to China. He was as bold and brash as any leader in 30 years, too bad there were many roaches who want to capitulate American Greatness, capitalism and Western ideals for a few easy bucks.

Trump was nice with his 25% tax even as so many yelled and screamed. If Reagan were alive he would have whacked China with 100% tariffs and told them, "you move another foot into the South China Sea and we are going to have a proxy fight".

but the Aussies are supposed to hate Mr Trump and LOVE BLM/etc...now they get what's coming to their stupid a$$es
This is how china operates

it can bully the aussies because American free traders allowed it to become so powerful

I should correct you, the WORLD free traders allowed it to happen, lead by America.

As I've said many times, Germany and Russia of old could only have dreamed of having such a soft, squishy, compliant adversary as they currently face in Western leadership.

If I were in a position of influence, I would be diplomatic but blunt with China. Trump shined the light on them and pulled back the cover, now the worlds citizens are saying "we don't trust these communists". In Canada, I was heartened to see north of 75% of Canadians do no trust China. I almost cried tears of joy and surprise. We still have some fighters left.

You see THAT is how you crush another economy. I have immense respect for Trump for standing up to China. He was as bold and brash as any leader in 30 years, too bad there were many roaches who want to capitulate American Greatness, capitalism and Western ideals for a few easy bucks.

Trump was nice with his 25% tax even as so many yelled and screamed. If Reagan were alive he would have whacked China with 100% tariffs and told them, "you move another foot into the South China Sea and we are going to have a proxy fight".

I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Canada. :04:

......but the Aussies are supposed to hate Mr Trump and LOVE BLM/etc...now they get what's coming to their stupid a$$es
Cannot blame them for disliking trump, as most countries do, and since they started out as a penal colony, kind of understand if they actually have support for BLM. Easy to forget that the BLM thing is only about white government control not that blacks care or think black lives matter to them. If I was black, I would be far more concerned about violent black people than cops, as they shoot and kill far more blacks than cops do.

......but the Aussies are supposed to hate Mr Trump and LOVE BLM/etc...now they get what's coming to their stupid a$$es
Cannot blame them for disliking trump, as most countries do, and since they started out as a penal colony, kind of understand if they actually have support for BLM. Easy to forget that the BLM thing is only about white government control not that blacks care or think black lives matter to them. If I was black, I would be far more concerned about violent black people than cops, as they shoot and kill far more blacks than cops do.
bullshit--most countries do not dislike Mr Trump ..BLM is complete idiocy

Mostly just authoritarian countries. BLM blew their slogan by being hypocrites.

B-but JG, doesn't China know that tariffs don't work? Any Biden voter can tell you that!

B-but JG, doesn't China know that tariffs don't work? Any Biden voter can tell you that!

Biden voters are economic and foreign policy idiots. Their only ideas are wide open borders, a weakened military, and unrestricted free trade.

Last edited:
Mostly just authoritarian countries. BLM blew their slogan by being hypocrites.
the Aussies kneeled and had BLM on their jerseys = jackass dumbasses

China has no alliances. Germany once had a similar bad habit of fighting with all of its neighbors not realizing that what they were doing was forming the alliance that would repeatedly kick their asses. Since then, in many ways, the German People are some of finest, peaceful and hard working people anywhere, Lying Outlaw China? Not so much.

New NATO Strategy Deems China #2 Enemy Behind Russia Over Next Decade

"China is no longer the benign trading partner that the West had hoped for. It is the rising power of our century and NATO must adapt."

Trump was always aware of this.

NATO has previewed a new study that calls for major reform and provides a proposed outline for its future long term strategy entitled "NATO 2030 - United for a New Era". The report is raising eyebrows given its focus on the rise of China, which it says should be considered the Atlantic military alliance's number two enemy and rival over the next decade.

The report compiled by a committee of NATO exports advances 138 proposals to reform NATO along these lines. According to one NATO diplomat cited in Reuters, "China is no longer the benign trading partner that the West had hoped for. It is the rising power of our century and NATO must adapt."

Specifically it calls for NATO maintaining a decisive technological edge over China, which itself has been undergoing a major reform of its military and intelligence capabilities, rapidly modernizing both under a long term plan of President Xi Jinping.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said just ahead of the report's publication, "China is investing massively in new weapons. It is coming closer to us, from the Arctic to Africa. China does not share our values... and tries to intimidate other countries," according to statements at a Monday news conference.

Yet Stoltenberg also tried to temper what Beijing will no doubt see as a hostile posture, also saying at the briefing, "China is not our adversary. Its rise presents an important opportunity for our economies and trade. We need to engage with China on issues such as arms control and climate change. But there are also important challenges to our security."

An unnamed official source in Brussels was further cited in Russia's TASS as saying, "The report recommends establishing special structures, which must guarantee NATO’s technical dominance over China and protect the member states from China establishing an economic control over their strategic sectors of economy."

The report also "notes the necessity to prevent China from establishing control over the key commodity sources, including new-generation ones, in the third countries, in Africa in particular," according to the TASS source. Lithium was offered was one prime example as essential to development of advanced electronics and communications in the future.

Forum List

Back