China’s New Export Restriction Puts Choke Hold on Critical U.S. Ammunition Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invisibleflash

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2019
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base

The recent decision by China to halt the export of two critical components —nitrocellulose and antimony— has raised alarms within the U.S. ammunition manufacturing industry and among defense experts. These materials are indispensable in the production of propellant powder and primers, and their restriction threatens to create significant supply chain disruptions. As geopolitical tensions rise and global conflicts, like the war in Ukraine, drive up demand for ammunition, the U.S. faces an uncertain future in maintaining adequate ammunition supplies for both military and civilian markets.

covid  WHO breed.jpg

The recent decision by China to halt the export of two critical components —nitrocellulose and antimony— has raised alarms within the U.S. ammunition manufacturing industry and among defense experts. These materials are indispensable in the production of propellant powder and primers, and their restriction threatens to create significant supply chain disruptions. As geopolitical tensions rise and global conflicts, like the war in Ukraine, drive up demand for ammunition, the U.S. faces an uncertain future in maintaining adequate ammunition supplies for both military and civilian markets.

Blah. That last part isn't exactly true. We can make that (or similar) material in USA without much problem.

The interesting question is where and why China is diverting its output. Are they stockpiling for something?

View attachment 1017596
Somebody wants you to buy more ammo.

Blah. That last part isn't exactly true. We can make that (or similar) material in USA without much problem.

The interesting question is where and why China is diverting its output. Are they stockpiling for something?
We have been warned

The US better stop relying on communist china for anything needed for our defense

The US better stop relying on communist china for anything needed for our defense

The main reason we stopped mining antimony is because it's a byproduct of silver mining. And as a byproduct, it is high in contaminants like lead, arsenic, and other heavy metals. But there are only a handful of silver mines in operation in the US anymore. Most of our antimony actually used to come from Nevada. But there is only a single operational silver mine left in that state.

We actually have significant antimony reserves, but unlike in China which has few if any restrictions on mining, here it is simply no longer profitable for companies to mine it. And with an average value of around US$5 per pound, it is simply not cost effective to mine it. And the price of silver is barely enough to keep what mines we have left operational.

It's kind of the same with nitrocellulose. With a value of around US$1.25 per pound, because of the requirements in regards to safety and chemical waste after production it was simply far cheaper to import it than make it ourselves.

We can and have made both in the past, and were actually at one time a major exporter of both. But environmental regulations and China pushing the price down simply made it no longer economically viable to manufacture it ourselves. And what we do still manufacture is generally sold to private companies. Antimony is a common flame retardant as well as dyes and inks, and nitrocellulose is used in many pharmaceuticals.

The main reason we stopped mining antimony is because it's a byproduct of silver mining. And as a byproduct, it is high in contaminants like lead, arsenic, and other heavy metals. But there are only a handful of silver mines in operation in the US anymore. Most of our antimony actually used to come from Nevada. But there is only a single operational silver mine left in that state.

We actually have significant antimony reserves, but unlike in China which has few if any restrictions on mining, here it is simply no longer profitable for companies to mine it. And with an average value of around US$5 per pound, it is simply not cost effective to mine it. And the price of silver is barely enough to keep what mines we have left operational.

It's kind of the same with nitrocellulose. With a value of around US$1.25 per pound, because of the requirements in regards to safety and chemical waste after production it was simply far cheaper to import it than make it ourselves.

We can and have made both in the past, and were actually at one time a major exporter of both. But environmental regulations and China pushing the price down simply made it no longer economically viable to manufacture it ourselves. And what we do still manufacture is generally sold to private companies. Antimony is a common flame retardant as well as dyes and inks, and nitrocellulose is used in many pharmaceuticals.
I want as little government intervention in the private sector as possible

But I also dont want our troops to to be killed because they dont have ammunition to fight with

But I also dont want our troops to to be killed because they dont have ammunition to fight with

Not so sure .
They lose every time when they do have ammunition .
So sending them unarmed in the first place makes good economic sense .
And the friends and families will get more sympathy .
Another smart idea for Cackler Harris .

Then you need to convince the people that scream that the defense budget is too high. Most of that is actually spent on things like pay and dependent care, but the next biggest chunk of the budget is actually training. Where we actually use things like munitions.

I agree that we need to return to being self-sufficient in more things and stop importing as much. But far too many people care more about money than anything else.

Not so sure .
They lose every time when they do have ammunition .
So sending them unarmed in the first place makes good economic sense .
And the friends and families will get more sympathy .
Another smart idea for Cackler Harris .
This issue is so serious that I cant even appreciate your satire

How could we as a nation have been so stupid?

Then you need to convince the people that scream that the defense budget is too high. Most of that is actually spent on things like pay and dependent care, but the next biggest chunk of the budget is actually training. Where we actually use things like munitions.

I agree that we need to return to being self-sufficient in more things and stop importing as much. But far too many people care more about money than anything else.
But far too many people care more about money than anything else.

Yes, we have plenty of them right here on this forum

They are globalists and mostly fence jockeys who claim to be non partisan

Nitrocellulose is used in paint too.....There's a lot of it in primer.

When I worked for Dupont we had a nitrocellulose pad well away from the rest of the plant.....It came in drums and was packed in alcohol.

Nitrocellulose is used in paint too.....There's a lot of it in primer.

When I worked for Dupont we had a nitrocellulose pad well away from the rest of the plant.....It came in drums and was packed in alcohol.
Lee Iacocca one said “we have to make things in America. Pretty soon we will be sitting here trying to sell insurance to each other”

That seems to be where we are now

This issue is so serious that I cant even appreciate your satire

How could we as a nation have been so stupid?

You were the perfect size etc for a new approach Deep State to experiment with you after WW2 .
Particularly after they acquired Zero Point Energy from reverse engineered crash vehicles .

Lone voices like those of - for example --- Eisenhower and JFK were simply unheeded .

And after the Deep State master class 9/11 False Flag , it became , Game Over .
imho .

Though Benjamin Fulford et al insist that the self styled White Hats are putting up a good fight .
But I cannot get over the idea that he is just a well intentioned nut .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back