Chivalry

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere
8 Acts Of Chivalry To Bring Back

Growing up in the South in the late 60's, early 70's I was taught manners, respect and chivalry. Men of good families strove to become gentlemen. It was all I knew until I went off to join the Air Force as a teenager.

Boarding a bus to leave basic training for my technical school, I saw a young lady struggling to load her duffle bag into the baggage compartment of the bus. Without thinking, I bent over and grabbed the handle of her duffle bag to lift it for her. Her reaction shocked me to the core. She bolted upright and hissed at me in a regional accent I won't mention, "I don't need your F$#king help. I can do it!" This was only half the snub to my gallantry. Half the kids in the boarding group didn't bat an eye. The other half were shocked at her vulgar outburst and snub.

Like many teenagers over the centuries who left home to join the service, I was surrounded for the first time by people from vastly different regions. Not everyone put chivalry, manners and respect on the top shelf. For the next 37 years, I travelled all over the U.S. and a bit of the world. I continued to open doors, give up my seat and generally treat ladies with the respect and honor my culture taught me they are overwhelmingly entitled to. For the most part, the ladies seemed pleased by the respect shown to them. In certain regions of the U.S., my manners were greeted with contempt.

Manners are the grease that makes the gears of civilizations run smooth. Women are the bedrock of all civilizations. Ladies are those fine creatures we adore and look up to who make us all want to be better people.

I thought I was a lone survivor of a dying race until a friend of my wife posted this on her FB page. This young man wants to bring back Chivalry. An advice column like this would have never been given ink in my day. That it is necessary today speaks volumes. Hope springs eternal.

8 Acts Of Chivalry To Bring Back
by James Sama

The more women I talk to, the more I realize that the gentleman is a rare breed. The mission of the New Chivalry Movement is to bring men (and women) together who strive to be the best versions of themselves and love and respect those around them.

As the gentleman has become less prominent, so have the respectful acts that define him.

Here are 8 acts of chivalry we often overlook and should work to bring back.

Giving up your seat.

Whether on a bus or on a crowded subway, giving up your seat to another is a rare but great sign of respect. I always cringe a bit when I see a woman or elderly person forced to stand while young men remain distracted by their phones. It all comes down to being aware of your surroundings and acting accordingly.

Only one in seven men will offer their seat to a woman on a train or bus.

Pulling out a woman’s chair.

This one, as many others, is simple but rare. You don’t have to run around to your date’s side of the table to make sure you pull out her chair each time, but when convenient, it’s a nice extra touch.

Less than one in five men will regularly pull out a chair for a woman to sit down. That’s under 20%.

8 Acts Of Chivalry To Bring Back | James Michael Sama

Last edited by a moderator:
I was fortunate to have been taught such manners at a young age. I still practice them today.

Manners.

I thought Chivalry was more like throwing yourself in front of a speeding car to save your gal.

• Banned
I think that we, as ladies, should be gracious enough to accept it for what it is and not be affronted.

And in doing so, you gently guide our rougher natures towards civility.

A respectful nod to a Lady.

Last edited:
Any thoughts from the ladies?

Yup. Chivalry doesn't exist here. Wish it did.

btw..don't go to the flame zone. You will read the most digusting misogynistic comments that will make your hair curl.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Yup. Chivalry doesn't exist here. Wish it did.

btw..don't go to the flame zone. You will read the most digusting misogynistic comments that will make your hair curl.

By "here" do you mean USMB or where you live?

I haven't been to the flame zone. You've now given me a reason not to.

Another gracious nod to a Lady.

Here. At usmb. I have read some of the foulest comments by men to women that I have never read anywhere else on the net. Fights and wars, yes. But the personal stuff they fling towards women are just disgusting. And sadly, some of the women do the same towards the men but not as often. Mostly, I think it is what that gal did when you tried to carry her bag. Inwardly waiting for the punch line and on the defense automatically.

The guys here? Need their mouths washed out with soap. Often.

I make it policy not to dis the dames here. If I don't like their clap-trap, then I just avoid it. I may have transgressed without knowledge of gender. Oh- there's the Jew thing. Yeah I might have pissed off some ladies there LOL. Oops.

I was fortunate to have been taught such manners at a young age. I still practice them today.

Manners.

I thought Chivalry was more like throwing yourself in front of a speeding car to save your gal.

Chivalry is a code of conduct far in excess of the mere courtesies outlined in the OP. Yes a return to Chivalry would be a good thing.

This morning, I parked at the post office and plodded toward the door.

Behind me was an elderly lady carrying several large boxes destined for post.

Do I...

a) Ignore her and proceed inside the door without looking behind.

b) Delay myself a few seconds in order to hold the door, ensuring her convenient ingress.

c) Kick the white bitch to the curb and steal her packages.

Answer to follow....

Yep. I still practice all of those things. The walking on the street side thing is practically extinct nowadays. A real shame.

I also stand whenever a woman approaches or leaves the table. Unless it's a waitress, of course. :D

Yep. I still practice all of those things. The walking on the street side thing is practically extinct nowadays. A real shame.

Here's a ninth one: Stand whenever a woman approaches or leaves the table. Unless she's your waitress, of course. :D

Let me tell you something, fellas. A woman really appreciates you opening her car door for her when she is getting in the car.

And you get lots of bonus points if you still do it even when you are mad at her.

Let's bring this one back, guys.

When I saw the #3 act, I thought of this precious young man here. :) :) :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJbq9afVio]Uriah Shelton[/ame]

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. You should see this precious young man in his 2010 released film named Lifted which was 2-3 years before this video of his was made. I love the smile on his face when we hear him sing "I want to make my mama proud." :) :) :)

Last edited:
I remember dad ALWAYS made me walk towards the building side and not the street side. He told me it was because if someone wasn't paying attention, he would get hit by their car instead of me. Maybe he changed it around some, for the day of age sorta thing.

I'd add

Don't use profanity around a lady. In real life I never do

For the more mature ladies offer to carry their packages, bags and such.

Always pay for the meal.

Always stop and offer to help and protect a lady stranded on the street or highway.

If a women is being abused, man-up and do something about it.

Don't always wear the red cape and blue tights...that's just strange

Last edited:

Forum List

Back