College students don't deserve free speech

Yes, Trump, Abbott, Noem, DeSantis and several others are happy to attack the First Amendment in the name of Zionism. That's one of the many signs showing there is no rule of law.
Law and Order are far more important than ANY Right or Freedom. Thankfully we’re starting to recognize that.

Governors like Abbot are right to crack down on this. College students have abused free speech for decades. If only elected officials had done this during the Vietnam War, we might have actually won.

---After Abbott's order, protests, here’s what college free speech policies in Texas look like---

Try to remember that college students are under the jurisdiction of US law so they have the same right of free speech that you and I have. I'm surprised governor Abbott is so stupid

True. We haven’t been able to restrict speech, assembly, etc… sufficiently to begin bringing law and order to the forefront of society.
As Mr. Justice Brandeis noted a century ago, the law will be respected when it is respectable. We have very few respectable law in this society. Our elected officials routinely violate their oath of office, and that has been going on for decades at least.

Who judges "abuse" of free speech? We need to withhold aid to colleges who teach anti-American politics and get down to basics and arrest people who violate local ordinances. So far we do neither.

You want to dumb down Americans even further?

What sort of schools did you attend?

As Mr. Justice Brandeis noted a century ago, the law will be respected when it is respectable. We have very few respectable law in this society. Our elected officials routinely violate their oath of office, and that has been going on for decades at least.

Peter, don't you know how Brandeis got on the Supreme Court?

It was a matter of love letters and blackmail.

Peter, don't you know how Brandeis got on the Supreme Court?

It was a matter of love letters and blackmail.
I don't really care how he got on the Court. He was a Zionist back when the term wasn't as bad as it is today.

What I like about Brandeis is that he defended many excellent legal principles found in the US Constitution. I like the dissenting opinions he offered. The simple wisdom that the law will be respected when it is respectable. And many more, especially Olmstead.

I agree that our elected officials are even worse than the citizenry.

Unfortunately a lot of people don’t value the right things, so they ignore laws they don’t like or disagree with. Speed limits being a major one. Given the option I’d have speed cameras at every intersection on city streets every mile marker down the highway. Maybe getting. 45 tickets at $85 a pop in one day would get some people to drive the speed limit.

Unfortunately a lot of people don’t value the right things, so they ignore laws they don’t like or disagree with. Speed limits being a major one. Given the option I’d have speed cameras at every intersection on city streets every mile marker down the highway. Maybe getting. 45 tickets at $85 a pop in one day would get some people to drive the speed limit.

You're not an American.

No citizen has an obligation to obey illegitimate law. No soldier has an obligation to obey an unlawful/illegitimate order. As the French philosopher noted centuries ago, when law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law.

From Olmstead

The government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill it teaches the whole people by example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. To declare that in the administration of the criminal law the end justifies the means--to declare that the government may commit crimes in order to secure the conviction of a private criminal--would bring terrible retributions.

No citizen has an obligation to obey illegitimate law. No soldier has an obligation to obey an unlawful/illegitimate order. As the French philosopher noted centuries ago, when law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law.
Then fight the law and get it changed if you don’t like it. Otherwise you must expect to deal with the consequences of breaking the law.

The vast majority of laws, while seemingly stupid, exist for a reason. I break laws occasionally; but I’m prepared to face the consequences if I get caught.

Then fight the law and get it changed if you don’t like it. Otherwise you must expect to deal with the consequences of breaking the law.

The vast majority of laws, while seemingly stupid, exist for a reason. I break laws occasionally; but I’m prepared to face the consequences if I get caught.
This is no democracy pal. The law is changed in our system ONLY by special interests who pay good money to our elected officials to have the laws written in their favor. That's what lobbying is all about. You're naive it seems.

I followed the lead of Air America and the CIA in Vietnam. That is, I smuggled marijuana and was eventually caught and prosecuted. The CIA guys never get caught, but most ordinary citizens doing the same thing do get caught and sent to prison. I'm a big boy, accepted responsibility for my actions and went to prison. Life goes on.

Special interests control this government and write the laws. If you're not aware of that at your age you must be living under a rock.

Forum List

Back