Condiments

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
Why are the individual packets of mayonnaise always larger than the other condiment servings?
tqgtnQYdbC2fbAc98tuMLzXQldQQtPKqUiIns8K0xeOKJyp71DtNkDB2c3g74LXBE8E17Y6h20_DP40V6r0xNvq269FEL5P3sb878CG9gbYfY09DVXHfNoTMrulJ1XSK2o4uX1Zg9gn-68_E-Q8At91esYZLHLWvb1t1Dy3GEMRBY1dCbVIoevWpuEoljSZXEp4w0cZLX3sy_87dgl2lFhvSMecTw26BDMQZMgcwrSD_uZBWefYJau0RLFvqjoLTxyLqYKRzyOQChn0CGU9MaYq4M65cqqfr07DXIEA3p4lGqfPWZlOKnn-ZRC-O3FAe2JjozbIYnO-wHFYL7UFUs0shaCLyIMinOp9ShUxc25fwTd_XpUHk4hKosSHP54VklFu52GlrgMoiTt33wW-eDafn9SXRiuOzAUS8AdZJ1q0O7Huj9l66PPe4fZFRf4Ywd7l1zQivJv2M9uI_lFyEln4zzQ6xsdP7Bbj4ab3lS2uLIPcp7SB9QI_OqRcDUcU0gsTtojVU4WZGAmJANEJIsgVtDhrEaKibZpx-ariXmeAzLYA2l5SNDbV-TW5_ECpiIVGe-THGw3s3Oocn5Upnvtu1e910Zog76fRwedfkrEwoWAlKhJA0wf95TDm9P2X7Iz4Ys11skE9lmhF5HEOwXsbdvs8PTVj0w5eYZQFPsDiHl9l-etPCUWDm6FxsdhzUSW0JpF7kjeDfWSuOHTq7KqrC=w1266-h949-no

Tarter sauce packets tend to be larger too. It is probably because they need a minimum weight to mass produce the packets and run them through machinery efficiently. Tarter sauce and mayo have a lot of air whipped into them so the packets would be lighter than the other condiments by volume. That is my guess as to why this tends to happen.

Tarter sauce packets tend to be larger too. It is probably because they need a minimum weight to mass produce the packets and run them through machinery efficiently. Tarter sauce and mayo have a lot of air whipped into them so the packets would be lighter than the other condiments by volume. That is my guess as to why this tends to happen.
That's a good point....

....add mayo based horseradish sauce also tends to be in a larger packet....

Now if only the chip manufacturers could pack a bag of chips full instead of half full....:mad:

Overfilling the bag would result in crushed chips (well more crushed chips). In an emptier bag they can move more and not try to occupy the same space and another chip thus leading to stresses and chip dust.

Doing electromechanical work at a condiment factory is a high paying job but stressful.

That's a good point....

My sister works at a mass-produced food factory. She says the ability to machine a product at scale has been their biggest bane over the years. They will come up with brilliant new recipes that test off the charts that they should be able to produce in large quantities, but when they go to do it, the product just does not play well with the big machinery. She is on the "team" that tries to sort this out from time to time. Sometimes they are successful and often times they are not. They offer big bonuses to employees who can figure out how to make some of the items machinable they see so much market potential in the product. I joked with her that they should start making pot brownie dough and she said the only reason they don't do brownies of any type is because they just cannot figure out how to get their cookie dough machinery to produce raw brownie dough. The brownie dough just gums up/clogs up everything and the end product is a disaster. They would have to expand the building and add a whole new line of brownie-specific machinery to make it happen.

The salt and pepper packets are equally the same size...does that have to do with anything with Equality? :oops:

Imagine if we had more pepper than salt...is that racist? :rolleyes:

1619802683889.png

Now if only the chip manufacturers could pack a bag of chips full instead of half full....:mad:
There is a reason for this one ^^^. If they packed potato chip without all that air in the bag, you would get powdered chips by the time they got to the store. Lay's potato chips are much more fragile than their Frito brand and Fritos are packed more densely.

That's a good point....

My sister works at a mass-produced food factory. She says the ability to machine a product at scale has been their biggest bane over the years. They will come up with brilliant new recipes that test off the charts that they should be able to produce in large quantities, but when they go to do it, the product just does not play well with the big machinery. She is on the "team" that tries to sort this out from time to time. Sometimes they are successful and often times they are not. They offer big bonuses to employees who can figure out how to make some of the items machinable they see so much market potential in the product. I joked with her that they should start making pot brownie dough and she said the only reason they don't do brownies of any type is because they just cannot figure out how to get their cookie dough machinery to produce raw brownie dough. The brownie dough just gums up/clogs up everything and the end product is a disaster. They would have to expand the building and add a whole new line of brownie-specific machinery to make it happen.
Gobs of federal and state inspections at a food factory, more than handling nuclear weapons.

That's a good point....

Some people have figured that pot brownies are worth it--a company called Zoot Bites produces pot brownies for retail sale in WA state.

Doing electromechanical work at a condiment factory is a high paying job but stressful.
Stressful? Not if the maintenance program is run correctly. I did it for 45 years. If the company invests in planned preventative maintenance, there is virtually no stress because the machines run when you need them. There is a lot of truth to the old saw "Pay me now or pay me later (a lot more)" If a production line that produces, say 300 bottles of wine/min, goes down during a run, you not only lose that production, you lose sanitation, you idle 8-12 people for the down time--many things people do not take into consideration. While I agree, the job paid the bills, I wouldn't plan on getting rich from it.

Stressful? Not if the maintenance program is run correctly. I did it for 45 years. If the company invests in planned preventative maintenance, there is virtually no stress because the machines run when you need them. There is a lot of truth to the old saw "Pay me now or pay me later (a lot more)" If a production line that produces, say 300 bottles of wine/min, goes down during a run, you not only lose that production, you lose sanitation, you idle 8-12 people for the down time--many things people do not take into consideration. While I agree, the job paid the bills, I wouldn't plan on getting rich from it.
The condiment factory is or was in Atlanta. I rest my case.

Forum List

Back